Watching/Recording HDTV on a Sony RDR-HXD 990

argonaut1977

Standard Member
Hi,
I just recently bought a Sony RDR-HXD990 250GB DVD Recorder and i am new to this and i dont know how i can watch HDtv on it, i have an LG HDTV, it says when i turn onto a hd channel that HD services are not available on this recorder. I am wondering if i need any other cables to attach to my tv and recorder to be able to watch hd tv through the DVD Recorder.

Cheers

Gavtech

Administrator
Hi,
I just recently bought a Sony RDR-HXD990 250GB DVD Recorder and i am new to this and i dont know how i can watch HDtv on it, i have an LG HDTV, it says when i turn onto a hd channel that HD services are not available on this recorder. I am wondering if i need any other cables to attach to my tv and recorder to be able to watch hd tv through the DVD Recorder.

Cheers

Welcome to the forum.

This is an SD device only. You cannot receive HD transmissions on it.

argonaut1977

Standard Member
Thanks for the information, so what happens if i buy a hdmi cable and attach it to the recorder and tv, what does that give me??:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap:

comnut

- that just gives you a noise free signal, at a slightly better quality, depending on how good the 'upscaler' is...

Yes, it can output a '1920 x 1080p' signal, but it cannot record this.. see page 156, where it states 720 x 576 as the max...

do note that freeview STILL cannot transmit HD, and if and when it does, you will need a totally different deck...

Last edited:
You need another box with Sky HD, or Virgin HD, I think there is a Freeview HD, I saw a TV that came with HD channels, but not the recorder.

comnut

no, HD will NOT be available until a while AFTER analog switch off.. and that is still on the 'drawing board' AFAIK...
You may be thinking about a 'FREESAT' TV.... or the HD is referring to a Hard Disk drive... or just the resolution of the screen...

yes, there may be buzz about it, but it may not work with UK TV!! hey waste your money if you want!!

Just waiting for all the 'miss-selling' to get moving....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Last edited:
no, HD will NOT be available until a while AFTER analog switch off.. and that is still on the 'drawing board' AFAIK...
You may be thinking about a 'FREESAT' TV.... or the HD is referring to a Hard Disk drive... or just the resolution of the screen...

yes, there may be buzz about it, but it may not work with UK TV!! hey waste your money if you want!!

Just waiting for all the 'miss-selling' to get moving....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah Freesat TV with Hd channels that's it.

comnut

Well I would do a forum search on 'Freesat' - some people found it had odd conditions, and other niggles...

argonaut1977

Standard Member
I bought a HDMI cable and attached it to my HDTV and dvd recorder but only some of the channels work, it tells me that the channels arent in service, and i progammed them again but it still is happening, any help would be much appreciated

:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap:

Gavtech

Administrator
I bought a HDMI cable and attached it to my HDTV and dvd recorder but only some of the channels work, it tells me that the channels arent in service, and i progammed them again but it still is happening, any help would be much appreciated

:thumbsup::thumbsup::clap::clap:

This problem is usually due to the HDMI cable causing interference with some of the UHF channels and blotting them out.

The remedy is to use another HDMI cable - usually cheap cables work better in this respect - or try reducing the output resolution settings as this reduces the high frequency radiation from the cable.

Also keep the cable as far away as possible from all RF cables.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom