watching recorded dvd off h.drives

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by nuggettss, Dec 1, 2004.

1. nuggettss

nuggettss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i will be renting dvd,s off blockbuster or cd wow and putting them onto h drive (a pioneer 420 or panasonic model not sure which is best yet) to watch in my own time. will i get macrovision problems or will they be clear
    thx

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,265
    You can't dub commercial (rented or purchased) DVDs onto the HDD of any HDD/DVDR combo unless you use a seperate DVD player connected via Macrovision disabling Scart leads.

3. nuggettss

nuggettss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thx rasczak for quick reply, guess i,ll have to make time to watch them

4. tonyselon

tonyselon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    What you are attempting to do is called piracy and is illegal as you dont own the copyright!!

5. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The same is true if you record something from the TV, watch it and then keep it to watch again at a later time. The principle behind recording TV programmes is called time-shifting and by law you should erase the information from the media that it was recorded from as soon as you have finished viewing it. Making copies of movies rented or loaned to you by a friend is undoubtely piracy and the position on backing up your purchased DVD's, PC/PS2/XBox etc games is unclear at the moment. Some will tell you that you can't do it as you don't have the copyright (which is true, you have a license) and others will tell you that you can as long as you only allow one copy to be viewed at a time (this does not mean you give your mate a copy and he watches it when you are not). Interestingly the US courts have rulled that it is not an offence to back up your bought DVD's etc provided you don't break any encryption that is put on it (macrovision) and companies who supply cables or software to do this are now liable to being sued by the film studios and the producers of the game/DVD. Just a useless piece of information.

6. brownrog

brownrog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is undoubtedly true given the intention declared by the initial poster.

But the situation relating to recording off-air (broadcast TV) is surely less clear? If it is acceptable to "time-shift" (record and then view later), is there any legal precedent or actual embodiment in copyright law (which country's law BTW?) that says such re-viewing should occur once only? Is it acceptable to re-view more than once as long as it's just you viewing (i.e. the viewing is for your personal entertainment)? If not, is it OK to do a quick "action replay" when the cat's been sick in the middle of a playback?

It's presumably OK to have your mates round and turn on the telly - you all watch a programme, say, but then, is it OK to have them round and all watch the time-shifted replay? :clap:

Maybe it's OK if you don't charge them. What if they bring the beer?

You see what a nonsense it all is, and a legal minefield.

I'm in favour of copyright BTW (I make promotional films).

Surely the wish of the production industry is to prevent mass copying, even on a relatively small scale (because that multiplies up) because that hits sales and rewards for everyone in the supply chain. We're really not that interested in clobbering personal-use recording, re-viewing, dumping on ONE DVD and so on (though you might not think that if you listen to some of us). So loads of people put broadcast movies on DVD and keep them.

Thing is, copy protection is relatively rare on broadcast programmes, even movies. But expect it to increase. To avoid clobbering the recorder market (we wouldn't want to fall out with our friends in the CE industry, now would we? :) ) it will most likely allow you to make a single digital copy but not any recopying of that. Seems fair enough?

Subject probably needs its own thread?

7. nuggettss

nuggettss

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well its looks i,ve been breaking the law for the past 30 odd years by recording tv programmes and films on video along with many thousand others.

8. tabatha

tabatha
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As a number of machines can play a DVD and record a programme to hard disk from an external input at the same time, some people have used a "special scart" lead to take the dvd output into a hdd input.

9. Bosco

Bosco

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It is contained in the UK Design & Copyright act (or something like that) about timeshifting and it really does show just how wrong the legislators of all governments have got it, I would say that unless you have never owned a VCR/DVDR or never recorded anything onto audio tape that wasn't your own original composition then you have at some stage broken the law, crazy or what?