1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching PAL through NTSC prog scan

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by NinjaKi11a, Feb 25, 2005.

1. NinjaKi11a

NinjaKi11a
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a Tosh ZD26 (which only accepts prog scan though NTSC) and a Pioneer 565 (which only outputs prog scan on NTSC). I connect the two with component cables only and have progressive scan enabled.

Region 1 material is beautiful, the problem I have is that when I watch Region 2 DVDs the screen judders slightly. This is rectified by going into the 'Initial Menu' and changing back to interlaced.

Which part of the set up is causing this judder - the TV or the DVD player? I ask as I am supposed to be buying a budget DVD player for a relative and could easily give her my 565 and then buy a 575 for myself. I understand that the latter does PAL prog scan. Obviously this won't enable me to watch PAL movies in prog scan, but will it stop the judder on Region 2 material and save me the hassle of changing (and checking) the settings before I watch a DVD?

Thanks.

2. bonzobanana

bonzobanana

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +216
    Basically the frame rate is higher with ntsc, its 30 frames per second instead of 25 frames. So the player duplicates every fifth frame of the pal image to make it 30 frames per second or it creates an interpolated frame from the merging of two fields. Whatever it does its bound to be visible and can't be helped. You also of course lose screen detail as ntsc only has 480 visible lines instead of pal's 576 lines. All artifacts are caused by the dvd player.

3. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,908
    .....because you are asking it to convert line and frame rates which is always a Bad Thing.