Watching movies on TV from PC whilst using the PC as a PC ;)

Lammy68

Standard Member
Reaction score
So i'm a bit new to all this so I apologise if this isn't the right way to do it.
What i am trying to do is watch a movie on my main TV played from my PC, but also want to be able to use my PC for normal stuff at the same time, web browsing etc, basically multi tasking the pc.
Now i have a ASUS GeForce GTX 750 TI graphics card which has 1x HDMI, 2x DVI, and 1x VGA.
The HDMI is being used for the PC's monitor, this would be the ideal connection for me if there is a way around it, splitting the signal maybe?
The DVI apparently does not carry audio? So i don't want to use another cable for audio (unless i have no other choice).
Which leaves VGA, but on a HD TV seems pointless.
If that somehow makes sense and anyone has an idea of how to do this then i will be most grateful.
Thank you all in advance

Its going to be simpler to have a TV which can stream movies from the PC hard drive (or an external Drive) or a basic Streamer plugged into the TV.

Joe

I agree with Joe but if you do want to play direct from the PC, then you would use the HDMI output from the graphics card to the TV, and DVI to the Monitor.

The Geforce software should then be set to extend desktop, you can then have movie playing on one screen (TV) and use the Monitor for normal PC work

Sounds good fellas, so with the monitor on DVI i would have to find an audio source?
Also can you tell me if im right in thinking that DVI carries identical signal to HDMI, so the image quality would be the same from both connection types?
Of course i guess the other option is to purchase a new graphics card with at least two HDMI outputs...it is Christmas after all :)

DVI & HDMI are interchangeable in terms of video quality - though you may find your hardware (Source or Display) support differing signal types on DVI vs. HDMI!

HDMI will always support HDCP encryption - DVI on most modern Displays will support HDCP but worth checking!

DVI will sometimes support digital audio but mostly not and you will require an analogue Stereo audio connection between the Source and the Display.

Joe

Do you want different audio on the monitor to the TV playing a film, as that would be tricky i suspect

Ideally yes.
Here's the scenario:
The wife wants to watch a movie which is on the HD of my PC but she wants to watch it on the TV (42" Plasma) in the lounge. I however want to do some work/play/browse/shopping etc on the PC (22" Monitor), this is also in the lounge.
So although the sound on the PC is not essential as i don't always need it, it would be preferred.
The sound to the TV is essential of course.

As per earlier post I would look at installing a NAS to host and share your files and add a Player to the TV - it's going to be much more flexible and deliver a far better user experience.

Joe

Yes in that scenario streaming rather than direct connection would seem a better idea.

Is the tv a smart tv and if so is it on the same network as your PC ?

Yes in that scenario streaming rather than direct connection would seem a better idea.

Is the tv a smart tv and if so is it on the same network as your PC ?

Unfortunately the the TV is not a smart tv and it doesnt have any USB ports either
TV Make and model.... Panasonic TX-P42G15B....
Trusted Reviews

As per earlier post I would look at installing a NAS to host and share your files and add a Player to the TV - it's going to be much more flexible and deliver a far better user experience.

Joe
I'd argue a NAS wouldn't necessarily needed, as long as the OP is happy to have the PC on it can be used as the server. A Pi2 and OpenElec would be a good and cheap option.

I'd argue a NAS wouldn't necessarily needed, as long as the OP is happy to have the PC on it can be used as the server. A Pi2 and OpenElec would be a good and cheap option.

Im not familiar with a Pi2 or OpenElec, could you explain please.

Raspberry Pi2 - Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

OpenLec - OpenELEC Mediacenter - Home

NAS - as Jamie says if you know the Laptop will always be available on your network you can continue to store your files on it and stream to the TV (multiple TV's) using one or more Pi2's.

I'd be more inclined to add in a NAS and keep the files somewhere I know will always be available.

Joe

Raspberry Pi2 - Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

OpenLec - OpenELEC Mediacenter - Home

NAS - as Jamie says if you know the Laptop will always be available on your network you can continue to store your files on it and stream to the TV (multiple TV's) using one or more Pi2's.

I'd be more inclined to add in a NAS and keep the files somewhere I know will always be available.

Joe
Thanks again Joe, I will have a look into these options

OK so i have the set up i need and it was actually a lot easier than i imagined.
So this is where i'm at
I have my TV plugged directly into my GTX750Ti graphics card using HDMI, which works perfectly.
I then have my monitor plugged in using a DVI (Graphics Card) to HDMI (Monitor) cable, but the strange thing here is i wasn't expecting any audio as i was always told that DVI does not support it.....well, it does on this graphics card :) and i was even told by asus that this card would not support audio over DVI. So honestly dont know whats happening there but its saved me needing yet another cable.
One thing i would like to clear up is why im getting large blocks of the image that look like they cant quite keep up when i'm watching movies?
Its mainly noticeable with slow panning images. Is it because im using DVI to HDMI instead of HDMI to HDMI or is the screen set up wrong?....
Other than that the image quality is spot on.
The monitor is AOC i2369Vm

The blocking is more likely to be in the Source or your PC running out of steam - it's unlikely to be the cable.

Try watching the same content via the same Cable to the same Display without anything else connected to or running on the PC.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom