Watching live U.S. television in the UK?

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by RatedA, Sep 12, 2007.

1. RatedA

RatedA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is there any possible way to do this?

I watch American programming much more than British, and it would be easier to watch them as soon as they air in America.

I'm guessing there's not, but it's worth a shot, I guess.

Thanks for any help. :thumbsup:

2. Battle

Battle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,172
    There is but your not allowed to discuss it on the forum as its "illegal"

3. PAH

PAH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    There are certainly fairly easy ways of obtaining US shows off the internet before they're officially available in the UK, but as mentioned it's all a bit dodgy from a legal perspective.

I've been hoping one of the legit online download websites (such as Amazon or iTunes) would open up US content to the UK, but thinking about it I suppose it's not in the show producer's interest. They'll make more money selling the rights to a UK broadcaster then the subsequent DVD sales, so like all the other region stuff it's to protect commercial revenue.

Maybe if online downloads (which TV shows are ideal for as they're relatively small per episode) start rivalling DVD sales we'll get better and quicker access. It's happened with music sales so may only be a matter of time with TV/movies as it seems a natural progression.

4. Mindcrime

Mindcrime

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +168
    I thought using a Slingbox was a legal way of doing this, am I wrong?

5. Blighty_Boy

Blighty_Boy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wouldnt this only work if you had a mate in america with a slingbox to stream to you !!

although we are not allowed to talk about illegalities on this forum, there is nothing wrong with saying the word usenet or Newsbin (news binaries)

[Stolen from wiki

Usenet (USEr NETwork) is a global, decentralized, distributed Internet discussion system that evolved from a general purpose UUCP architecture of the same name. It was conceived by Duke University graduate students Tom Truscott and Jim Ellis in 1979. Users read and post e-mail-like messages (called "articles" or "posts") to one or more of a number of categories, called newsgroups. Usenet resembles bulletin board systems (BBS) in most respects, and is the precursor to the various Internet forums which are widely used today.]

You have to pay a small amount to use this service eg. £7 per month and is a brilliant service allowing you to distribute content you have created yourself to the world very quickly and also download content from other users. Unfortunatly like all good services it's original use has been twisted by internet pirates and crooks who just upload all the latest movies music games and TV shows from the US.