Watching HD through PC - what do I need to do?

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Sach, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Sach

Sach

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Hi

I'm a newbie to this and am looking to purchase a Plasma in a couple of months...

One of the main uses for the plasma will be to connect my PC to it to allow Timeshift TV and general PC usage from the lounge (e-mail, surfing, gaming etc). Sky is input into both PC (via S Vid) and TV (via Scart). My PC graphics card has DVI output.

Firstly I need to purchase a Plasma - got my eye on the 42" Panny 60 HD Plasma and actively reading up on peoples experiences. If I wanted to watch HD content via my PC, is it as simple as connecting via DVI - HDMI input to the Panny? What about HD DVD's? Can I use the PC's DVD player to output true HD content, or do I need a standalone HD DVD player?

Cheers
    Sachin

2. Jango

Jango

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Via a PC (media center) it's no different watching hi def than normal video other than the video will be of higher quality. Your PC will output a fixed resolution (1280*768 or 1024*768 depending on how you've got it set up) and will scale the video source up to that.

Basically a standard def source will have to scale up to the PC resulution, and a hi def source with either have to scale up a little bit, or in the case of proper hi def, will have to scale down (lose picture information) to match the output res.