Watching HD box elsewhere

johny1980

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Can i take my box round to my mates house although he doesnt have a dish and watch pre-recorded stuff via HDMI if the viewing card is still in ?

No, you need a signal from the dish to play anything recorded.

I've a similar kind of question.

If I took my HDTV and Sky HD box around to a neighbour's house to watch the FA Cup in HD.
Would it work, just by disconnecting their Sky+ box and connecting my HD box ?
Could I get away with no phone line connection for a few hours or would it need to be connected and therefore maybe not working due to the HD subscription, not matching the phone number ?

Thanks in advance :thumbsup:

If I took my HDTV and Sky HD box around to a neighbour's house to watch the FA Cup in HD.
Could I get away with no phone line connection for a few hours or would it need to be connected and therefore maybe not working due to the HD subscription, not matching the phone number ?

This should be ok, as long as they have a dish your box and card there should be no problems.

Also I dont think you will need to connect the phone line into your box.

Don't plug it the phone line! It's highly unlikely (usually happens over night) but if the box "phoned home" your box and card would be reported back from another phone no. As sugested you should be fine for the 2-3 hrs of the cup final.

Cheers,
Papcx

I've watched HD without a phone line connected for 18 months! :D

if you only have one box it doesnt matter if you unplug the phone line, it is only when you have multiroom they insist that all boxes must be connected. :hiya:

Could you not just ask your neighbour to come to your house. :D

Sorry could not resist.

I have not had my HD or sky+ box, on multiroom, plugged into a phone line since the day it was installed and never had a problem.

I haven't had my multiroom box connected for months connected to the phone line for months. The wire goes all round upstairs and was a bit flakey. It was also causing my modem's speeds to be pitiful.

A few weeks ago I plugged the modem into the main phone socket downstairs and have been loathe to mess up the improved connection by plugging in the main Sky HD box's phone lead in as well. The connector on the end of that lead is an old 3 way adaptor that I'd have to plug the modem and my phone's lead into.

Time will tell if they want to do anything about it.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom