1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Freeview on non-input channels..

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by kifimoto, Dec 4, 2003.

1. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got telewest cable already but of course it feeds in to the input channel and because my loft aerial packed up years ago, i can't utilise the picture in picture functionality with two tv channels!
    Now i'm thinking of getting a freeview box so that i can do just that. Is it possible to use the RF ouput in a Freeview box and watch the channels as Channel 1,2,3 on the TV channels rather than the input channels?
    apologies if i'm being vague but many thanks in advance!

2. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +412
    Not many freeview boxes have a built in rf modulator, and if they do it will be i channel, freeview, so to speak, and you will need the freeview remote to change channels. The picture will be pretty low grade, not suitable for a 43" plasma. You need to connect with RGB scart to it really. But you've probably not got a free one, so you're stuck. This is the main drawback of the HDE, it hasn't got enough inputs, as really it has only 1 rgb capable scat as the other is shared with HDMI and component!!!! How could they be so crass.

3. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Come to think of it, all i really want it to be able to have BBC1/2 and ITV (may be channel 4 - but i hate the permanent red dot!) for the good old analogue teletext... so i may just get some body to fit a good roof antenna for me and i'll be happy.

so there's no way i can use the tele remote's 1,2,3 etc to change channel - that's pants man.

cheers

4. whitcat

whitcat
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Another prob for you is there's no analogue teletext on Freeview. You would have to use the Freeview for TV and get the text from TW. If you don't have a decent aerial, you might not get Freeview at all.

Have you not used the blue button to (temporarily) kill the C4 red dot on TW?

5. kifimoto

kifimoto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info! i'll try the blue button thing. (now let's see - what's actually good on channel 4....)
    i've actually arranged some aerial guy to sort my loft antenna out so hopefully we can just get a decent enough analogue signal for the good old teletext i crave!:laugh: