1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching Freeview on a PC

Discussion in 'Freeview & YouView' started by Scooby Doo, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Scooby Doo

Scooby Doo
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I'm looking at getting Freeview on my PC as a second digital source etc and wondered what are the pros and cons of watching Freeview on a PC via the following methods:

1. Connecting a standard STB via my Graphic card's Video In and the sound card.

2. Using a PCI tuner card.

3. Using a USB tuner card.

Many thanks.

2. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Not Freeview but I have Sky connected to my PC they way you describe in option 1. Pic quality is OK but there can be some tearing of the pic but for watching TV in a window while I'm working on the PC is perfectly acceptable.

John

3. cwick

cwick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I'd go for the PCI tuner (Nebula card). Quality is better than you'll be able to capture, playback is pretty damn good, recording is a doddle with the EPG, and on, and on.

I'd steer clear of USB simply because I've always found USB a little flakey. But maybe things are better now.

4. dhnw38809

dhnw38809

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I live in a small flat and only have room for my pc. I found it was easy to get TV on my pc. I installed a TV tuner card. This enabled me to also connect a Freeview box, Video Recorder, even an Xbox to my PC with a scart block through the connectors on my TV card.