1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching football on the Panasonic 42PE50..

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by Majid Khan, Oct 30, 2005.

1. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Having now had my plasma for several days and now watched a few games of football on it , i'll share my experience here for the benefit of others who might be possibly thinking of getting the Panasonic 42PE50 or already have one but aren't totally satisfied with the footy ...

Watching football on this plasma is quite a different experience, to watching it on a 28" crt as was in my case.. initially, i was a little bit disappointed if I was to be honest, as i felt there was just a hint of smearing/panning blur when watching football on the plasma - nothing major, i mean it was definitely 'watchable'... unlike the dreadful juddering/smearing / motion blur that I saw on some supposedly top of the range LCDs like the Sony V40 or even a few plasmas (like the Pioneer 435, the new Samsung HD plasma, one or two other cheap brand plasmas i saw) --

I actually tested out a DVD of football on several LCDs and plasmas and I honestly felt some of them were just about unbearable.. others were watchable (like the Phillips plasmas (with their digital natural motion),Hitachi 6600) but the Panasonic Viera stood out for me, in that it was very watchable with football.. but now I realise, that I made this observation purely in comparision to other plasmas/lcds that I saw and how they struggled.. like the Pioneer 435 which was right next to the Panasonic PE50 that I tried out, perhaps the flaws of the Pio made the Panny look better than it actually was.

However, having the plasma at home .. i think there is a transition from watching football on CRT to watching it on a big screen plasma.. and you will always compare it with the crt, so maybe this left me a touch disappointed in that the football was good, but not quite as smooth/fluid as it was on my Sony CRT.. at least that was my initial impression.

However having watched a bit of footy in the last couple of days, i think my eyes had adjusted to the plasma and watching the west brom v newcastle game today, i felt it was much more comfortable.

But now here's the interesting part of my story - i came across something quite stunning this evening.. having hooked up my Sony GX300 DVD recorder to the plasma via component (progressive scan) and noticed the brilliance of the picture over scart with DVDs the other day, today I conneced my Sky box to the dvd recorder today to record a film, but something caught my eye .. the picture quality of Sky passed through the DVD recorder via comopnent looked quite exceptional! and it just appeared a little bit smoother to the eye..

I flicked the channels and noticed the picture definitely looked different (looked more stable).. but what caught my attention was the Spanish football on Sky Sports -- guess what? the motion was as smooth and fluid as I would have wanted... CRT-like, and no i'm not exaggerating here... maybe its the progressive scan thing at work here (the dve recorder has something called "Precision Cinema Progressive" which Sony seem to rave on about).. but must say, this has sorted out the football for me.. even that slight hint of blur is all but gone now..

The only problem i have is the buzzing/whistling/'kettle-like' noises that my DVD recorder makes every now and then. which is why i prefer leaving it powered of when not in use.. but i guess its worth using it to watch footy.. most certainly is.. i'll be interested in knowing if anyone else has experienced this sort of thing when watching Sky via their DVD player through components..

2. dave owen

dave owen
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't worry me. Ours arrives on Friday.

3. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    If you really want to be in football heaven, try out a Crystalio scaler - it blows away any CRT that I have ever seen. Some of the Champion's League/Premiership games are almost DVD-quality and pure PAL-smoothness (and I'm watching a 50" screen from 9 feet away).

Also La Liga broadcast quality is so poor, I think Sky should pop down to Spain and teach them how to broadcast football.

But the ultimate is HD footy. I was fortunate to see some footage of the Liverpool-Milan Champs League final in HD (but with German commentary)......footy in HD is well worth waiting for!!!!!!

Doc

4. SwamiTCB

SwamiTCB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    How much was the scaler doc?! Did you get a noticeable improvement with non-football material too?
    Here's to watching Beckham lift the world cup in HD!

5. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sounds good, I think i'll have to look into one of these Crystalio scalers.. :) which one do you have Doc?

The footy looks fine now on my PE50, but obviously if you can get it to be DVD-quality than that would be awesome.. my only concern scalers is apparently they cause all kind of lip sync/audio delay problems or so i've read..

So are these top of the range scalers that good? I mean you can feed it total garbage at one end and it will give you almost DVD-like quality at the other? :eek:

Oh and btw, i saw a clip of football in Sky's HD promo at Comet a few weeks back being played on a PV500, the picture looked razor sharp and quite amazing with every blade of grass looking like it was 'real' grass, not the kind of 'mushy peas' effect we get with grass in SD.. but the only thing with the footy clip in HD was that it didnt seem smooth, in terms of motion.. there was noticeable lag.. ---- i'm assuming this must have been because the hd was being played back via a PC (and presumably the hardware wasn't able to cope with that kind of movement in HD)..

6. stevedster

stevedster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +41
    no problems with footie on my pio 436xde. very happy with it in this respect, the only thing i have noticed is on some channels you can notice the poor bitrate of the channels (pixelation sometimes etc), however this is not a problems with the screen, its a problem with the source (they dont broadcast enough data)

7. TheDoctor

TheDoctor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    With my 505XDE, I was getting a good and enjoyable picture when watching football (apart from ITV, who broadcast trash quality). I then added a Sky SDI-modded digibox and the Crystalio scaler (VPS2300) and the improvement was significant all round.

An SDI-modded Sky box sends a digital signal straight to the Crystalio for processing (It bypasses the digital to analogue conversion when using a scart/s-video connection).

The Crystalio outputs the picture at 720p @ 50Hz through the Pioneer's HDMI input (It is a pure digital signal from start to finish and is being displayed at a HD resolution). The quality of footy is brilliant, no judder or stutter, and even the ticker-tape on Skysports News scrolls CRT-like.

High quality broadcasts e.g. Sky footy/movies etc look fantastic (the other day my wife picked up the dvd remote to switch it off, and realised it was actually Sky movies that was on!!!!!). Some lesser quality broadcasts are also improved, but really poor quality has no hope no matter which scaler you use. The scaler takes dvds to another level and has given a new lease of life to all my old VHS tapes.

At the moment I am using 1280x720, but I am still working on the native resolution (1280x768) through the VGA port, which has an even better picture but has issues regarding timings. Although, this is a problem with the XDE (I will definately but a non-TV panel next time, for greater flexibility with scalers).

With my setup, I've had no lip-sync or macroblocking issues. If you are interested in knowing more, have a chat with David at Pluggedin TV (http://www.pluggedin.tv/store), he occasionally posts on this forum.

Doc