Watching film franchises with your kids

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
So you've got kids and you've got a home cinema, and you want to watch some classic film series with them. Things like Bond, Mission Impossible, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, Marvel, DC, Terminator, The Hunger Games, LOTR. Maybe even the Fast and the Furious because, well, what the hell.

What's the best way to do it?

Do you pic a series and go through every film in order?
Or is your favourite series over too quickly with that option, leaving you with years of everything else before you get to see your favourites again, so instead you just take the first from each series, and then the second, swapping between series depending on your mood?
Or neither - do you just pick whatever you feel like, not worrying about plots and continued story lines?

PS - I looked at all the forums, and this one seemed more appropriate than the 'Movie' forum, which is more about new releases.

Marshall Mike

How old are the kids? Because if your picking what you you want to watch, they may not hang around for very long. I would just let them decide.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
How old are the kids?
I'm not sure if I'm completely alone in the concept of this thread, but just in case I'm not, I wasn't intending for it to just be about my kids, but people's families in general.

Because if your picking what you you want to watch, they may not hang around for very long. I would just let them decide.
Mine are 14 and 15. They both love films and have no problem watching a long feature film. My son probably prefers to switch between different types of films, whereas once my daughter has seen the first, she wants to binge watch the rest. But since I don't really watch films on my own, it's not just about what they want to watch.

Marshall Mike

I think I took that point of view because it reminds me of the time I tried to watch Star Wars with my daughter - we didn't even make it to the end of the first movie and she was off :rotfl:

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I think I took that point of view because it reminds me of the time I tried to watch Star Wars with my daughter - we didn't even make it to the end of the first movie and she was off :rotfl:
A few years ago my daughter would get home from school, shut herself in the living room, and watch Star Wars (any episode) on her own. Again. And again. I trained her well. They're both also football season ticket holders :D

I ended up banning the film binge watching a year or so ago when the new cinema room was in sight, so that she still had some energy for it all.

Duff3103

Novice Member
I always just put a film on (transformers recently) and see if they take to it. the wee man was instantly hooked and my older daughter was about half way through and now we have watched the 1st 3 films and still have the rest to watch. i think it depends on how quick things get going in the film. if its slow to start you can bet they will be long gone before the good bits start

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I watch them all in order. Looking forward to watching lotr with mine when they’re bigger.

Fast and furious films are so daft but a lot of fun.

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
For us it's very much dependent on the series involved.

During lockdown we watched the entire Marvel Universe in Marvel timeline order, rather than whenever the film was produced - it worked really well.

We also watched the Matrix series in order.

And Back To The Future.

And IP Man.

Harry Potter of course has to be watched in order, which I've now done several times, even if the family haven't been bothered about a repeat viewing!

Indiana Jones has to be done in order as well.

Star Wars we've both watched in order ( we may have skipped parts of the first three movies), even inserting Solo and Rogue One at appropriate times - and we've dipped in and out as the mood has taken us.

James Bond, we've watched the Daniel Craig stuff in order - but the others have just been pick'n'mix.

We haven't yet watched LOTR together, or of course, the Hobbit.

Transformers were done as they came out on Blu-ray. As was the F&F franchise.

Jurassic World franchise, I've never gotten into that much - likewise Planet of The Apes.

As they get old enough, it's worth going through Band of Brothers and The Pacific - my elder lad went through B&B as he was convalescing from Covid.

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
we watched the entire Marvel Universe in Marvel timeline order, rather than whenever the film was produced - it worked really well.
That's how I like to watch it too.

We also watched the Matrix series in order.
And Back To The Future.
And IP Man.
Harry Potter of course...
Indiana Jones has to be done in order as well.

Yes, but do you want all of one franchise before starting another, or do you watch one SW film, and then another day watch something from Marvel, and then a Back to the Future film?

The Dreamer

Distinguished Member
That's how I like to watch it too.

Yes, but do you want all of one franchise before starting another, or do you watch one SW film, and then another day watch something from Marvel, and then a Back to the Future film?
We did Harry Potter as a whole during lockdown - one movie per day - just as we did with MU. Same with The Matrix.

Can't remember what we did with Back to The Future and Indiana Jones.

IP Man we watched before Covid with my lads mates one after another on their ritual Friday evenings over here - so I, and my lad will have watched other stuff between, but for four weeks, we watched an IP Man movie every Friday evening.

shodan

Distinguished Member
I managed to get my eldest (now 15) excited about the Marvel movies and even though I'd watched them all, once they were all out, we watched them in timeline order :clap:
He's gone a bit off watching movies lately but I reckon I'll get him for the new Dr Strange as the first one as his favourite (weirdo).

For my daughter (12) she won't sit and watch a movie unless it is specifically one she wants and asks for. Although she'd watch 5 hours of awfully produced video's on youtube of horrible spoilt screaming brats showing off.. Or the moral compass guiding, life lesson, HORRENDUOSLY badly written and acted Dah Mann productions.

But for both of them, the bargaining begins with the bribery of enough crisps, sweets and snacks (and a bottle of cider for the boy) to survive a zombie apocalypse

Triggaaar

Distinguished Member
I managed to get my eldest (now 15) excited about the Marvel movies and even though I'd watched them all, once they were all out, we watched them in timeline order :clap:
He's gone a bit off watching movies lately but I reckon I'll get him for the new Dr Strange as the first one as his favourite (weirdo).

For my daughter (12) she won't sit and watch a movie unless it is specifically one she wants and asks for. Although she'd watch 5 hours of awfully produced video's on youtube of horrible spoilt screaming brats showing off.. Or the moral compass guiding, life lesson, HORRENDUOSLY badly written and acted Dah Mann productions.

But for both of them, the bargaining begins with the bribery of enough crisps, sweets and snacks (and a bottle of cider for the boy) to survive a zombie apocalypse
Maybe mine are weird, they'll watch a film every day. We watched the Illusionist last night.

Yaka

mine were not interested in anything apart from the potter films.

everything changed in 2015 when a friend and i spent all day playing bro force on steam
after this my kids played the hell out of this game and it spurred their interest in all my fave action movies

mine were a bit young at the time eldest being 7 youngest being 4 at the time but because of the game they became interested in movies from the 80s and 90s and now eagerly sit down to watch what ever i put on

but hey repeatedly watch back to the future, indy jones, matrix,, die hard, Fast and Furious and rocky

the game is worth a punt on steam, we still play 4 player co-op still

The latest video from AVForums

Paramount + UK launch: Halo, Star Trek and Beavis, and all the latest 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom