1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watching DVDs from pc on tv

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by JT, Apr 25, 2005.

1. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Well I been searching around here and couldn't find an answer so I thought I might as well ask. What is the least complicated way of watching backed up dvds with 5.1 sound (through an amp) on my tv. The computer is in another room about 10m from the tv. Remote control would be nice also.
    Can wifi carry 5.1 + video well? or is hardwire better (cat5?)? what would I need at the tv end? The more I look into this the harder it seems, so please help.
    thankyou John :lease:

2. tarcisio

tarcisio
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Reading from internet and specialized magazine I have build a personal idea about the possible solution to your (and my) problem.

I have an LD TV (buyed 2 weeks ago) and I hope to reach the best quality
    and compromise using:

DVI-I for video (from VGA to TV with a self made DVI cable - 10 mt)
    Digital OUT with coaxial connection for audio (from creative audigy or similar board OUT to amplifier)
    Blue tooth wireless for mouse (optical) and keyboard (I 've heard many people about Logitech MVX series, very expensive :-(.... )

Any other solution here?

Thank you
    Tarcisio

p.s.
    look at here for very interesting cat5 connection:
    http://www.avmagazine.it/news/sistemi/126.html

3. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
  4. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    :) Thanks for your replies tarciso & mjn, how long can the coaxial cable be without any sound problems? likewise my tv is a 36 inch panisonic crt, (not even flat) would a 10m length of s-video cable have any major problems picture wise?
    John

5. mjn

mjn
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,541
    I have a 9m co-ax cable.....no problems!

6. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thats good news, I've read somewhere here that 10m of s-video cable isn't much of a problem either. With my sound and video connected over long separate cables will there be any problems with lip sync?

All this because my vcr has packed in and I want to record onto hdd.

7. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I carry component video & digital coaxial over 10m cables with no problems (no lip sync probs either). However, if you do experience lip sync probs certain programs will allow you to adjust it. Theatertek definately has this option.
    Power DVD works well. The only problem I have at the minute with it is actually starting the film off. Once it's started, my MCE remote works all the necessary functions (play, pause, skip, next etc). If you have a wireless mouse then this won't be a problem.

8. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    As regards wifi, I had problems with 802.11b. The video would be stuttering. In theory 11mbs is enough for video & 5.1 but you will never achieve this sort of speed. A 802.11g (which are quite cheap now) should be enough for this(rated at 54mbps). I use a Pre-n connection (108mbps) with no problems carrying DVD vob files and DD or DTS soundtracks, but this is overkill (a genuine speed of 10mbs would be enough).
    To answer your original question, the easiest way to to this would be to use something like DVDshrink to backup your DVDs. I only backup the film itself plus the DD5.1 & DTS soundtracks with no compression (I also put the THX bit at the start as well if available as it sounds realy good!).
    Get yourself something like PowerDVD, a wireless mouse (like the gyration) and a remote (as I mentioned eariler MCE control works well with PowerDVD).
    Job Done. Simply use the mouse to open PowerDVD, pick your film, then sit back and use the remote.

9. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks MikeFish, one answer opens up more questons, so what I'm going to do is this:
    1. 10m s-vid cable for picture
    2. 10m co-ax for sound
    3. Blue tooth mouse for control

With the MCE remote control, wouldn't it need to "See" the pc, or do you have a sensor near the telly? but like you said though, if I get a bluetooth mouse I won't need a remote, I hope.

Also in pcworld they had a usb to SPDIF output, optical & co-ax, for £9.99, do you think this would be good enough, or should I go for a usb sound blaster prob live 24bit. No pci slots left. :)
    John

10. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I wouldn't bother spending too much on a soundcard as all you'll be doing is passing the sound through unprocessed. The digital output on most motherboards is fine for this job. If your motherboard doesn't have one then a USB one will probably do (never used one myself).
    As regards the remote, the MCE remote comes with a USB infra-red sensor. You plug it into a usb port and place the other end by your TV (or anywhere within remote control distance of your chair). A bluetooth mouse will mean you could get away without it, but it would mean you'd have to move the mouse and click it to get the buttons on screen to allow to you press your option. With a remote though you just need to point and press the appropriate button.

11. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    So now it makes sense. :thumbsup:

My motherboard msi 865pe... has an ac97 chip with 5.1 but you need a bracket bought separately 3 pin one end onto motherboard & co-ax on other. Been on their uk website, but still can't source one. sound card probably quicker.
    With the MCE remote do you need to use xp media centre edition 2005 software, or will it work well without it.

What are the other alternatives (poss free) to MCE, as a easy front end for controlling it all?
    John :)

12. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need MCE for the remote to work (at least I don't think so, can confrim tomorrow. Actually I think the drivers for it are part of MCE). If not there are other cheap alternatives, ATI do a remote (all in one wonder or something like that & about £20 I think).
    The method I was talking about earlier didn't involve using MCE, just PowerDVD or similar. If you went down the all in one package route you have a number of options, MCE being the obvious one, Showshifter, Media Portal & Meedio are all others off the top of my head.
    Media portal is an MCE copy, still under development so not as slick but it's free.

13. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thank MikeFish
    I had some advice today about bluetooth mice, it seems they don't like walls too much, so a remote will be the way to go. Unless someone knows different.
    :)

14. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wireless mouse works in the living room and my pc is in the dining room (solid brick walls). However, it won't work at the far side of the room. There might be some RF mice which have a longer range though (my mouse is just a standard Belkin wireless jobbie).

15. lisag

lisag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +296
    The gyration mouse has very long range and works through walls, its a bit on the expensive side though. But you can wave it in the air like a remote.

16. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Thanks MikeFish & Lisag
    So the gyration mouse could be an option, couple more questions (maybe) can you have 2 mice working at the same time, one controlling power dvd in the front room and the other working normally doing office stuff / surfing the net? :)
    Mike is your wireless mouse blutooth or something else?

17. MikeFish

MikeFish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My wireless mouse works on Radio Frequency. I didn't buy it for HT use, just normal surfing duties etc.
    You can have more than one mouse at the same time, but they will both move the same curser around the screen. You mention watching a DVD and surfing at the same time, to do this you would need to have your 2nd monitor (ie your TV) set to display full screen video and your PC screen as your primary monitor. This would allow you to surf on the PC, have PowerDVD minimized, which would mean it appears full screen on your TV. However, I'm not sure you will see any control buttons on the TV as all it will display is video. This would make it difficult to use a mouse to fast forward etc. This is where a remote would come in handy, although I'm not sure if a remote would work if the window you want to control is not the currently active window ie Internet Explorer is active cos someone is surfing, you press fast forward but as powerdvd would be minimized nothing happens.

18. jpfrost

jpfrost
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    JT,

Do you have a link to that USB to s/pdif adapter?

19. JT

JT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi jpfrost,
    I saw this in a pc-world in Newcastle, it had 1 opt input/output & 1 co-ax input/output. However when I asked about it in Leeds/Bradford they had no idea, I just hope they still have it when I go back in a couple of weeks.
    John