• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Watching Dolby Vision or HDR10+ on non DV/HDR10+ TV?

mjbern

Novice Member
Last year I finally took the plunge and bought a new TV. the Pan. EZ952. Since then the world of HDR has moved on with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ being introduced. as far as I am aware my TV is only capable of HDR10.
I have been thinking about the new versions of HDR and I thought maybe if I got a UHD Blueray player with DV/HDR10+ would that be a cheaper way of displaying these new formats? or is the only way to upgrade the TV?

sagaris99

Prominent Member
Last year I finally took the plunge and bought a new TV. the Pan. EZ952. Since then the world of HDR has moved on with Dolby Vision and HDR10+ being introduced. as far as I am aware my TV is only capable of HDR10.
I have been thinking about the new versions of HDR and I thought maybe if I got a UHD Blueray player with DV/HDR10+ would that be a cheaper way of displaying these new formats? or is the only way to upgrade the TV?
Only way would be to get a new tv - even if the source changes, the tv is still limited. Your EZ952 can support HDR10, 10+ and HLG but will likely never support DV or DA.

The only possible way it could would be the unlikely future where Panasonic released a DV software update.

mjbern

Novice Member
damn! I thought maybe that was the case. I was hoping that the blue ray player would effectively 'decode' the DV/HDR10+ information and then all the tv would have to do is display the image being output by the player. Hey presto! the TV displays a DV image. However this is clearly not the case?

sagaris99

Prominent Member
damn! I thought maybe that was the case. I was hoping that the blue ray player would effectively 'decode' the DV/HDR10+ information and then all the tv would have to do is display the image being output by the player. Hey presto! the TV displays a DV image. However this is clearly not the case?
Sadly not.... playing a DV Blu Ray on a DV player on your tv would show you the content in HDR10.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom