Watching Designated Survivor - worryingly reminded how badly Trump would handle presidency

Stuart Wright

AVForums Founder
Staff member
Enjoying watching Kieffer Sunderland in Designated Survivor looking like a granny but handling being a president with deft intelligence, diplomacy and political astuteness, and keep being reminded how ineptly I think Donald Trump would handle it.
I consoled myself previously that his advisors would at least keep him on the intelligent path, but he's surrounding himself with scary people and he still has to make crucial decisions at the end of the day.
His latest gaff recognising Taiwan resulting in protests from the Chinese just makes me despair at his political naivety.
I hope he does well as president but I fear he won't.

Last edited:

kav

Distinguished Member
My wife and I started watching this last night (fairly enjoyable light entertainment, aside from his children, but that's another discussion) and four episodes in, that same thought keeps popping up. It baffles me that people look to him as an answer to anything, it was obvious from the start that the only thing Trump cares about is Trump.

EarthRod

Distinguished Member
This is from a BBC article:

"Taiwan is an island which has for all practical purposes been independent since 1950, but which China regards as a rebel region that must be reunited with the mainland - by force if necessary.

China has claimed sovereignty over Taiwan since the end of the Chinese civil war in 1949, when the defeated Nationalist government fled to the island as the Communists, under Mao Zedong, swept to power.

China insists that nations cannot have official relations with both China and Taiwan, with the result that Taiwan has formal diplomatic ties with only a few countries. The US is Taiwan's most important friend and protector.

Despite its diplomatic isolation, Taiwan has become one of Asia's big traders. It is considered to have achieved an economic miracle, becoming one of the world's top producers of computer technology."

Very complicated and volatile situation which requires diplomatic finesse.

I have no thoughts about Kieffer Sunderland in Designated Survivor as he is an actor following a script.

...But then Donald Trump might also be following a script devised and written by people with deft intelligence, diplomacy and political astuteness. Who knows what political game is being rolled out.

Interesting times ahead.

Enki

Banned
Just watching Trump's News conference and him responding to these intelligence allegations, I'm absolutely in awe of this circus.

Enki

Banned
Phew, there was me thinking..

trumppee.jpg