Watching Blu Ray movies on VR Headsets - your thoughts

Discussion in 'VR Virtual Reality Forum' started by TheyCallMeTJ, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Hey guys, it took me a while to figure out where to actually post this! But ultimately its a movies question, so I think us movie lovers are the best people to give our thoughts, tips, and any experience on watching movies on VR headsets as a cinematic experience.

Although I am an avid games player on both console and PC, I have not ever craved for owning a VR headset (although, I wont say no to any opportunities to trying it out). Then I found out upon the announcement of the Playstation VR, that all VR headsets are able to emulate the experience of watching films on a giant screen. As someone that absolutely desires home projector but have no logistical way to accommodate such a setup, this VR cinema idea absolutely piques my interest to a point of being ready right now to invest in a VR headset just for that feature alone. Everything else that it can do (ie VR gaming, or doing anything on the playstation/HTPC while other family members can enjoy the TV) would just be a bonus to me.

But I want to know the pros and cons of watching say Jurrasic Park 3D Blu Ray in a virtual IMAX screen, how each brand of VR headset compares to each other and what each one's limitations are. Purely in terms of watching movies.

My first thoughts are the sound system. Can these headsets bypass using the included headphones and built in soundcard and use our own room's surround sound speaker system connected from our PC or Playstation via our amp/receiver, I wonder? If so, would the sound system feel right, with the virtual cinema screen? Or might there be a feeling of detachment and so a better immersion experience would be achieved with the headsets own surround simulation headphones? My experience in surround sound headphones for gaming can be impressive but never as impactual as a proper surround sound speaker system. So I'd like to hear thoughts on that.

As for the actual cinematic simulation, does it really have that potential scope to be better than a large tv (I have a 55" Panasonic passive 3DTV). Is there a comprise in sharpness? If so, does it matter, does the scale more than compensate?

Can Occulus Rift, HTC Vive and Playstation VR play movies directly from the PC or PS4 blu ray player? I know for sure, sadly, that none plays 3D Blu Rays directly and only on a PC would it be possible but only by ripping your 3D blu rays which I would prefer not doing. But I do hope they can at least play normal 2D blu rays directly.

And what about the Samsung Gear VR, does that provide an effective virtual cinema experience with sound?

Then there is the matter of fatigue. Will a whole movie via VR cinema be fatiguing?

Finally, which headset from your understanding of specs and virtual movie player/cinema software would achieve the best visual experience and which do you think might achieve the best surround sound experience.

I expect some of the above cant be answered for sure until all the products arrive.

Does this virtual cinema feature actually excite any of you as it does for me?

How would you compare to a 50"+TV and 5.1+ surround speaker setup (if you have such a setup).

Owners of Home Theatere Projector screens need not answer, we know you got it real good :) and I am real jealous! But nevertheless, I admire your achievement to having one and especially those of you that worked hard building your home theatre, you guys rock :)

2. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    I don't think any of these questions can be answered before people actually get the VR headsets at home & can test them out. Tech specs & marketing hype have no bearing on what the real world performance of the final retail models will really be like in the home.
    What looks good on paper might be completely rubbish. It's pointless to speculate until people receive them & can test them.

Btw the PS4 VR headset isn't due to arrive in people's homes until October, so no one really knows how the final retail model performs.

3. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Indeed, I know. But there are many folks who already own an Occulus Rift (beta versions have been around for a while) and the Samsung gear VR. So those owners if reading this thread may have input.

Also I did say in my post that many questions cant be answered but it does not mean one cannot speculate potential from specs that have been announced for Playstation VR and HTC Vive. I disagree in it being "pointless" to speculate...speculation has always been part of the fun in life when we anticipate a movie or product. Look how many pages of speculation have we had on Force Awakens before it got released ;)

And I am wondering who, yourself included, have any interest in such a feature.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  4. yandybox

yandybox
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,569
    I will be skeptical as back in 2007 I bought a headset that promised to give the feeling of a 100"+ screen at the illusion of being a few metres away.

It looked like a 32" telly from a few inches away! :laugh:

I'm sure the tech has evolved since then though so I would like to see it for myself BEFORE purchasing this time.

5. hippo99

hippo99
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,731
    I only meant 'pointless' as in the final retail versions might be very different. It's only once the final retail versions start arriving in homes can you make any judgements as to its capabilities.
    Eg the final retail version of the Kinect (for 360) was very poor compared to the earlier versions that people tested out.

As for my own interest, the large screen aspect is tempting, however sometimes I wear wireless headphones when watching films late at night & I find it a bit of a pain. Not sure how I'd feel wearing a VR headset.

6. 1080 jawbreaker

1080 jawbreaker

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +835
    watching 3d with active glasses is a drain on the eyes, cant imagine a vr headset screen being any easier. :(

Last edited: Apr 3, 2016
  7. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    Got the gear vr and tried the Netflix/cinema app and yes it can give the impression of watching a large screen but the PQ was very poor and I wouldn't want to wear a head set for 90 minutes plus. Can't beat the real thing.

8. mazon27091

mazon27091

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +163
    People usually complain about wearing 3D glasses, so I would think watching movies with a VR headset won't be an option. For gaming it should be good but only for a short while otherwise the user might end up with neck problems...

9. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,220
    I have never used a VR headset; but I recently purchased a Sony HMZ-T1 Personal Viewer

[​IMG]

This is a really frustrating bit of kit. Frustrating because out of the box; I find it quite uncomfortable to wear. I’ve had to mod it with an additional headband and padding to make it comfortable. There are several online articles as to how this can be done. But once done; the experience is remarkable. Sony claims that using this device is the equivalent of sitting 12 feet from a 200 inch screen. I can well believe it. The device uses twin OLED displays; so there is zero crosstalk when watching 3D films and the picture quality is excellent. I recently watched two films, one after the other, on it without fatigue.

If the Sony (or any other) of the forthcoming VR headsets can offer a similar or better experience of watching films, and with greater comfort, then I get with my current Sony viewer; I’d be seriously interested in getting one.

I suspect that will not be the case. I'd guess that most (if not all) of the VR headsets will use a single screen of lower quality. I hope I’m proven wrong though.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  10. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Yeah, agree with the active 3D glasses. I could never watch a complete film with those infernal things. But when I got a passive 3dtv, watching 3D movies became a real pleasure. But still, all 3D glasses passive or active reduces the dynamic colour range and darkens the screen (one can compensate by adjusting the TV's brightness settings but still not the dynamic range).

But those problems are all eliminated in VR movies because the headsets do not use shutters or polarising lenses. They just use two OLED lens, one for each eye, making 3D viewing much less stressful if not stress free. Refresh rates are very high too, making viewing smooth.

The only problems that may remain for the headsets is in wearing comfort. But even in that area, there appears to be a huge improvement if the recent Occulus and some mobile phone housed VR headset reviews are anything to go by.

Older VR headset prototypes posed different problems, that being of nausea from VR motion gaming. Apparently, the new reviews for official Occulus Rift now on sale, have eliminated such effects due to the high 90hz refresh rates (Playstation VR will have 120hz). But for just movie watching experience, which doesnt involve movement, this may not have been relevant ever for older VR headsets.

So far, on this thread, no one with an Occulus, google cardboard, Samsung Gear has commented...[Edit: Ooops, I just noticed True Romance comment!] I really hope they find this question and give their experience thoughts! Perhaps I posted on the wrong thread after all because it seems most of you might not be unaware of how far VR has progressed and the fact VR is available now to experience very cheaply if you have at least a HD res phone (Galaxy s5 onwards). According to many comments I see elsewhere, one can experience 3D cinema better than the actual theatre itself with a google cardboard compatible headset (range from £5 to £100 ish), that uses your phone (ideally 5"+ screen). There is no darkening of screen and the 3D itself is reputedly far more realistic than in the cinema and instead of seeing "layers", the depth is flows more continuously. Of course the higher res your phone the better too. So a 4k Galaxy Edge would probably be even more spectacular considering the high end Occulas and HTC Vive have less resolution.

This are comments I am relaying from others on the net, mostly on Reddit, I find, where a lot of enthusisats are talking about it. Here is one such enlightening conversation I found:

Question: VR 3D vs Movie Theater 3D • /r/oculus

Oh well done with that purchase and in your modding it to be comfortable and thanks for your real experience thoughts. Very exciting. That headset was released 5 years ago. The Occulus and other VR headsets have apparantly made big leaps in comfort wearing (as had active 3D glasses improved in comfort over the years). VR headsets are actually rather similar technology to your headset is (ie OLED screens each eye), so you might well be interested!

But your headset is dedicated and tailored to the cinema experience as opposed to the VR headsets being more of an allrounder for games and such, even though they have similar technology. i like that your headset is all ready for playing 3D blu rays too which I dont think Occulus or Vive can do without the need for ripping blu rays. PLaystation VR might be able to play 3d blu rays but nothing has been stated about that.

What about sound on your headset. How is that compared to your home speaker? (if you have a home surround speaker system). Would you have an option to use your home speakers?

Thanks

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  11. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Thanks TR, What phone do you use with your Gear VR? I am sure it cant beat the real thing (I assume you mean a real projector system?). The point is if a VR headset has the potential to be a good albeit inferior alternative (like how many are using as Soundbar as an alternative to a true surround speaker set up). I am wondering if a Samsung Galaxy s7 or s7 edge with its near 4K (UHD) resolution may improve the poor PQ you mention.

12. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    using a new S7 and the image is shockingly bad. I'd say you'd need 8k+ to make it watchable. Try holding your phone 3" away from your eyes to see what its like. The experience on the other hand was very good.

13. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Ah, that's interesting as S7 is the highest res phone you can get today. Also S7 should have been potentially better than an S7 Edge because the smaller screensize means the pixels are closer together but you say its still pretty bad, pity. Have you tried 3D movies?

14. True Romance

True Romance
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,937
    yes 3D works well and like I said the experience is excellent. Can see great potential in VR but not to watch a whole movie with imo.

15. Drongo

Drongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,220
    Thanks.

I haven't looked at the technology used in the forthcoming VR headsets. I hope you are right about the twin screens being used. I'm not sure why any VR manufacturer would go down that route though. Surely it must be more expensive than using a single larger screen? Other than 3D; what reason do the manufacturers have for using a screen for each eye?

I realise my headset is several years old now and has been followed by two other models. They however use the same OLED panels as my headset. I certainly hope the newer headsets are more comfortable though!

The Sony HMZ-T1 has an outboard box into which the HDMI feed from your Blu-ray player goes. The headset plugs into the box using a proprietry connector. It would be great if you take the feed from the Blu-ray player directly into the headset.

The headphones are pretty good; but nothing amazing. I think a pair of £100 headphones would sound a lot better. The sound is 'pseudo surround' and is fairly effective.

I don't think you can compare headphone listening and speaker listening. IMHO they are totally different experiences.

I have not tried using the headset and external speakers. I presume I could do this using a Blu-ray player with twin HDMI outs. One to feed the headset with the volume turned down to zero and the other HDMI output to feed the surround sound system. As I have a projector connected to my surround sound system I can't really see the point of doing this.

16. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Oh forgive my terrible wording. Its not two screens, I meant one screen but split in half for each eye...I think...you know I'm not so sure now. Sorry, my bad.

I really do like the sound of your headset and the fact can use our own headphones and if it will be possible to connect to real speakers even better. I am going to investigate your model and its successors further. I wonder if sony showrooms might have a demo.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  17. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +645
    What about the Avegant Glyph Personal Theater Headset? Not sure how I feel about twin DLP projectors being shot straight into your eyes at point blank range, but it does look interesting.

The Avegant Glyph is a Movie Theater on Your Face

Regards

Mark

18. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Cool! That is a fascinating concept and feels absolutely safe, more safe than VR. Its just visible light which is a harmless fraction of the electromagnetic spectrum. Its all about the intensity of light which we know instinctly when our retinas can handle it. There's no mention of the image perception looking like a big screen, though. So I wonder about that. My personal main focus is to enjoy a film on a big screen without having a projector system and not about watching normal size screens in a portable way (which is also cool but not quite my focus).

19. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Silly me, I didnt know there was only one phone in the whole world that has a 4k resolution screen. The Sony Experia Z5 Premium. The Galaxy s7 and S6 are 2k resolution.

So I bought the Experia Z5 Premium, received it on Saturday. Prior to that, I had bought a £20 Virtual Reality Headset and used my old 1080p Galaxy S5 on it. The cinema effect is truly amazing but resolution of movies is of course bad and with very noticeable screen door effect.

However, when I put the Experia Z5 in, it is amazing. Its 4K display really does make a huge difference as I test streamed some 4k 3D SBS videos. But right now, its bottlenecked by the current Lollipop OS so native VR apps are restricted to lower resolutions. I have to wait for Marshmallow on EE to unleash their full potential. For now I am using a PC to Android streaming software, playing 4K SBS videos which have some stutter. I also found out I can play the surround sound via bluetooth to my Yamaha AV receiver to complete that full virtual cinema experience.

Will update more later as I find ways to utilise this 4K display phone in a virtual cinema. Sadly though, I dont see any way of playing Blu Ray films directly to the headset even by streaming as the Blu Ray needs to be converted to SBS (side by side) format on the fly. A 3D blu ray can be played directly but then will lose half the film's resolution. I have to rip and stitch the blu ray films side by side.

But we are almost there, after all.

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  20. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Well, it has been a couple of weeks now and I can tell you, I have been overwhelmed with the experience of watching several of my Blu Ray movies (albeit I had to rip them), some in 3D on my Google based virtual reality headsets thanks to some great VR cinema apps, especially CMOAR Virtual Cinema app. I've sat through whole movies in one sitting or lie in on my bed. The combination of the 5.5 inch 4k display phone, my latest VR Fiit Headset, and CMoar app...truly brought the cinema to me in my home that I could not achieve with a projector due to logistical house constraints. Besides, its a synch to just pop the phone in, and navigate to the movie of my choice either on phone SD card or streamed from my pc.

Watching Jurassic Park 3D is incredible. In fact I watched it twice in a row. Couldnt get enough of it. Then I relived my childhood memory of the opening of Star Wars: A New Hope, the first ever movie I ever saw in the cinema (thanks to my dad, for introducing me to the cinema this way, and in the biggest screen in Europe at the time, Marble Arch). When that Star Destroyer swept over my 6 year old head in the cinema, I literally screamed. I didnt scream this time, that would be embarrassing but I did gulp with emotion as I experienced the moment I remembered almost 40 years ago. That sensation is clearly lost on a "mere" 60 inch TV and even though I saw the 1997 Special Edition re-release at the cinema, it still didnt quite have that impact as I just recently experienced on the VR headset.

3D movies are amazing to watch, no cross talks, no loss of dynamic range, brightness or vividness. Its bloody brilliant. If you have Frozen, then be sure to watch "Get a Horse", the incredible mickey mouse short that precedes it, on the VR headset. Its just wow, as great as when watching that short in the cinema. I also watched Polar Express 3D which is a great 3d ride movie, and oh...the chariot race from Ben Hur, wooo, I finally see that film in the way it was meant to be seen.

And that's what makes this VR cinema so great, I can watch these older classics before our time, such as North by Northwest, and 70mm films such as Lawrence of Arabia and Sound of Music, etc, that were enjoyed on the big wide screen by our older generations.

I dont even think I have been watching these films to my Z5 Premiums full 4k upscale potential as I think the apps are currently restricted to a lower ppi and my phone has not received the Marshmallow update which I believe unlocks the 4K display for all apps (if developers took advantage of it). I do see the SDE which is minimal but the cinema experience more than compensates.

Now, I am an avid cinema goer...I see films at the cinemas twice a week on average. So will this VR headset stop my cinema going? ABSOLUTELY NOT!! I love going to the cinemas, its the real damn thing, I am sitting in real cinema chairs, I am sharing the experience with other film lovers and often with my own friends (yeah, I do go cinema on my own a lot)...and I am seeing films that have just been released and talk about them while they are still fresh.

Likewise, if I had the opportunity to install a real projector in my home, would I still bother now that I have the VR headset?...absolutely, I will. A real home theatre projector system can be enjoyed by the whole family and friends. VR can never replace that.

And lastly, does VR replace my humble 1080p 60inch Panasonic 3dtv? Again, absolutely not, The TV is there to enjoy with family and in terms has less SDE than on the headset. And of course, I dont have to rip my blu rays to watch them!

But damn, VR cinema truly has its virtues, its cinema experience, mobile convenience, dirt cheapness (if already owning a high ppi smartphone) and superior untainted 3D without the need for using the darkening polarising lenses or head hurting active shutters. Once the Z5 Premium and other future 4k display phones can unlock the full potential further, virtual cinema will be a brilliant and yet affordable experience for those upgrading their smartphones to a 4k display in future. I have been taking my headset to work/leisure where friends/colleagues were so impressed, some ordered a headset already. Its not meant to be a replacement as I see some people have heralded it in the past, its just simply a brilliant new convenient OPTION of watching movies on a big screen and I dare say could be better than the expensive Occulus and Hive PC headsets due to the phones high ppi...of course, I am only talking of Virtual cinema and not games. When it comes to VR 360 gaming etc, Google Cardboard style headsets cant compete due to the reliance of the motion sensors on the smartphone as opposed to the superior motion sensors and low latency electronics built into the Gear VR, Occulus and Vive headsets. But for virtual cinema those higher specs arent necessary at all.

By the way, I believe I have bought the most ideal headset out of the millions of Chinese headsets available out there (it took me 3 purchases of different brands to get to a good one). Its called the VR Fiit and what sets this one apart for me is its comfort, its ability to adjust focus and pupil distance per eye, and it strikes the perfect balance of FOV at 102 degrees, any less, it becomes like a box view, any more than that, the SDE will become interfering. Wonderful headset and only £18. It has its flaws such as to achieve perfect focus for each eye, you have to remove the headset and turn the individual lenses then put them on which is a bit of a pain but at least its only a one off setup.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headset-Glasses-YSSHUI-Virtual-Cellphones/dp/B01CCOX0MQ/ref=cm_cr-mr-title

My next step, which I had intended since my previous post, is to buy a bluetooth adapter for my Yamaha 7.1 AV amp, pair my phone to it and watch movies with my actual living room 7.1 surround setup.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2016
  21. Buggs66

Buggs66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    Hi TJ, being a gear vr owner I have tried samsungs own cinema app and while It shows how cinematic vr headsets can be it's let down by excessive SDE .Have you tried the gear vr app and if you have how much better is your 4k set up?.If the method you have used is considerably better than the gear vr I would be very tempted to do the same thing.Lastly what format did you rip the blu rays and also were they uncompressed.

22. TheyCallMeTJ

TheyCallMeTJ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,932
    Hi Buggs

I havent tried Gear Vr and I would really like to see how it compares myself. I assume you have the newer Gear Vr for the 1440p display Samsung phones, ie Note5, S6, and S7 and their Edge companions. If you have an Edge or Note 5, they have a lower ppi because of their bigger screen, so that would show up more SDE.

As for how I am ripping my blu rays, I am ripping them to MP4 with highest quality settings and largest file size, 2 passes encoding and AAC 5.1. Its not uncompressed as that would be huge, larger than my SD card (also dont forget even the "uncrompressed" movies on the blu ray disk are compressed a bit too!)...having said that, the virtual cinema app can stream via LAN which I have not tried so that will be another next for me. This is not replacing my watching blu rays on my TV but is an additional medium to enjoying specific movies that I would have already enjoyed in the real cinema or on my living room home TV theatre setup.

I also heard that a matte screen protector can reduce the SDE due to the slight pixel dispersion. Perhaps worth a try to see if that reduces SDE further!

I believe one of my work staff owns a gear vr but I am suspecting it may be the old Note 4 version, though. What I really need to do is just simply test my headset on any 1440p (2k) display phone as the Gear VR is just like any other Google cardboard headset with some extra motion sensor and latency electronics which are not essential for the virtual cinema experience. My previous phone (a galaxy S5) was a 1080p display. So I just need to get a hold of a friend or colleague with a 1440p display phone, try it and report back here :)

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  23. Buggs66

Buggs66

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +98
    If you do get a chance to try a samsung s6 I'm sure you will find the 4k sony will do a better job because there is no way I could watch a whole movie on the s6 as you did with the Sony.When you think of it it's amazing how close to a good cinema experience you can achieve with mobile technology when the likes of sony have only just started dipping their toe in the water of the vr world.

24. Nepheler

Nepheler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    PS VR will not display 3D content in Cinematic Mode. It can display 3D games and films in 2D when playing on a 3D-compatible TV. When playing with non 3D-campatible TVs or without a TV, PS4 won’t play 3D games and films.