• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Watching AVI's via USB on DVD

jonnypb

Prominent Member
Looking to get a dvd player for the bedroom with a USB slot so I can watch AVI films. I've read a lot of bad reports though that when you watch an AVI via USB it can freeze or jump. Is this the case for people?

This Umax player with USB/DVD/Freeview looks very tempting

TylerDurden

Prominent Member
Its a cheapo Tevion 8000 from Aldi of all places Its requires a hardware hack (some basic soldering) to allow it to read usb devices

Edit - It looks like Aldo have these at the moment with a USB port on the front, not sure if it plays avi's / divx

dibdab

Established Member
I have the pioneer DV600, superb machine and no probs so far with AVI's. But on a budget take a look at the phillips 5960 or 5980.

Only difference is that the 5980 does 1080p and output's DTS sound, through a surround amp.

senu

Distinguished Member
By AVI I assume you obviously refer to the mpeg4 /divx/xvid/mjpeg type files.
Its easy enough to burn them to a cheap 10-20p DVD though, and most DVD players wont have a problem with playback as long as the codec isnt non standard
Similarly , many CD players ( and most DVD players) can play mp3s burnt to Cd as a data CD
My TV (Phillips Cineos series) has a USB slot and can play some ( not all) mpeg4 files

jonnypb

Prominent Member
By AVI I assume you obviously refer to the mpeg4 /divx/xvid/mjpeg type files.
Its easy enough to burn them to a cheap 10-20p DVD though, and most DVD players wont have a problem with playback as long as the codec isnt non standard
Similarly , many CD players ( and most DVD players) can play mp3s burnt to Cd as a data CD
My TV (Phillips Cineos series) has a USB slot and can play some ( not all) mpeg4 files

correct, i normally use convertx to dvd which works very well if i want to get rid of the letter box effect or nero to burn to CD if keeping it in divx format but i've got so many dvd's lying about now I think it would be handy to just be able to play them off a usb stick. i tend not to use the cheap dvd's I always stick to tayio yuden in saying that they're not much more 30-40p but will last 40 times longer

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom