Watching a high definition disc in 720p

Pecker

Distinguished Member
If I set my player's ouput (be it HD-DVD or BD) to 720p, what does the machine do?

Does it simply downscale the picture, just like you display/VP would, or does it do something different?

Are you better off switching the player to 1080i/p and letting the display downscale (providing you have a good scaler) or is there a good reason for letting the player do this?

Steve W

M

mattman

If I set my player's ouput (be it HD-DVD or BD) to 720p, what does the machine do?

Does it simply downscale the picture, just like you display/VP would, or does it do something different?

Are you better off switching the player to 1080i/p and letting the display downscale (providing you have a good scaler) or is there a good reason for letting the player do this?

Steve W
Setting an hd or blu ray player to 720p will cause the player to downscale to 720p resolution (1280 x 720). If your display has 768 lines (e.g. 1360 x 768) as most lcd and plasmas do, then the signal would be scaled again (up this time) by your display device.

This is undesirable and should be avoided unless your display doesn't handle a 1080i signal properly. Apparently a number of them don't and actually lose half the resolution, effectively giving you a 540p signal !

Generally speaking it's much better to downscale once from 1920 x 1080 (from the disc) to 1360 x 768 on your display.

My old lcd (Panasonic LXD500) looks better at 1080i than it does at 720p with the Toshiba HD A1 hd dvd player.

Matt.

MikeK

Novice Member
As ever though, there are many variables involved.
I think mattman has stated what would generally be accepted as sensible guidelines, but always let your own eyes be the final arbiter when watching images on your own equipment.

Bottom line - try both and see which looks best to you!

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic HX800 TV + Sony HT-G700 Soundbar reviews, movie and TV show news and reviews
Top Bottom