Answered Watching a 1080p movies on 4K projector | Does it make a difference? Projectors

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by BASSAMhd, Mar 12, 2019.

1. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i, as I continue my research on building my own HT, I realized that I need more budget to build the perfect HT, and Im not really planning on buying any 4K movies, so I start thinking of buying a 1080p projector so I can add more stuff to the build.

so my question is, Does it make a difference if watched a 1080p movie on a 4K projector or it will looks better on a 1080p projector?

and thanks.

2. Best Answer:
    Post #25 by swiftpete, Mar 15, 2019 at 7:49 AM (1 points)
  3. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    any thoughts?

4. steveoidm

steveoidm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +46
    I would say yes. Definitely less screen door effect and the upscaling capabilities are often quite impressive.

5. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,708
    Completely depends on the projector.

If you have a £15k SIM2 1080p projector against a £2k faux 4k projector, the more expensive one will be far better.

It’s not just about pixels, there are far more things to it.

What sort of budget do you have and what sort of conditions are you viewing in? that’s a good starting point to what PJ will be recommended.

6. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    The JVC X5900 have a very good pixel fill, and with eshift on there is no visible grid, Epsons will have visible with or without eshift, there is some fairly nice 4K dlp projectors on the marked today, but as always they suffer from absolute terrible on off contrast, so as asked above whats your budget, and inviroment your going to use it in.

7. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    The statement above is untrue. Epson don’t have visible pixel grid. To see individual pixels you have to be right next to the screen.

Either way OP more info is needed.

8. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    There is multiple pictures from different Epsons proving otherwise, could you add closeup pics of your Epson to document your claim.?

9. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

my PJ budget is 1000$ I looked at Optoma HD27HDR it looked good? what do you think? my viewing will be in a dark room with dark walls, and I'm planning for ST screen. that's why my budget for the PJ is 1000$.

10. mb3195

mb3195

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,708
    You’ll be better off getting a second hand 1080p projector for that sort of money. Something like a JVC if you can find one.

11. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    which one? I picked the Optoma HD27HDR for the 4k+hdr capability.

12. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Oh here we go again, not contain to wreck one thread with this BS but have to do it here.

With the exception of you (a now known Epson hater) and one other yous are they only ones claiming to see this. The ones that actually own these projectors say it can’t be seen and I stood 1.2m away from my 100” screen and couldn’t see it.

Yes the pixel grid is slightly finer looking on the JVC but from viewing distance this is unseen.

@BASSAMhd if you are looking to spend a $1K the only advice I could give is forget about 4K for the moment. There is much much more to what makes a good projector then just pixel density, your money would serve you much better looking for a nice secondhand 1080P from the likes of Sony or JVC.

My last PJ was an Sony HW45es, google reviews cause it’s a cracking machine and S/Hand you should be able to lift one around this price.

Here’s a few images I took when I had mine.

[​IMG]
    Oblivion

[​IMG]
    Lucy

[​IMG]

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Mans Chest

A really good 1080p will give you all the pleasure you desire with good images. Another projector worth looking for is the JVC DLA-X35, it’s a much older machine as the Sony I mentioned is still currently made but again cracking picture.

Hope this helps.

P.S. The Bluray player in question was the Sony UBP-X700 so a decent player will make a difference too. :smashin:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 9:02 AM
  13. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    If I take a closeup pic right next to the screen you’ll see pixels, same as with any projector. From even a couple of metres back you can’t and from normal seating distance you’ve got no chance.

I don’t make or sell epson projectors so I’ve got no reason to lie. I don’t need to ‘document my claim’ as I have nothing to prove. I suggest taking a look at one, you can then see for yourself. Good luck, have fun.

14. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    So we can agree that it can be seen, the question is whos watching, how close and how good or bad eyes they have., where alternatives have no vissible pixels even pressing your nose to the screen. A bit like the moskito net in front of the window, you might not see it from a distance, but thats not the same as it dont change the way you experience whats on the other side.

15. Harold88

Harold88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    This pj is not a bad choice for a new unit. My advice try to find a Sony VPL-HW45 in your country. It should be on sale now. It's only 1080p pj but it has amazing picture. Much better native contrast and blacks than any DLP you can buy for the same money.

16. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    @Luminated67
    Thank you, the pictures looks awesome! but the PJ is more than 1k :(
    any recommendation for the perfect 1080p PJ under 1k?
    thank u

@Harold88
    couldnt find it :( any recommendation for the perfect 1080p PJ under 1k?

I have a dark room (0 light)+ I can paint the walls a dark color if i need to.
    And im gonna buy a ST screen.

17. Harold88

Harold88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    If you want a new unit, you can look for something like Epson TW 5600. You will also need to paint the projection wall if you don't have a screen, with a special ALR paint for better blacks.

Forget about 4k at this price. I was in your position a year ago and it's not worth it. There are some cheal 4k DLP's at 1000 euro but the trade offs are to much. Native contrast of those units it's very low.

18. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yeah I canceled the idea of 4K since I have a 55" 4K tv, couldnt find much info about the Epson TW 5600 :/

19. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    If you are only interested in buying new then the Sony will be out of your reach but secondhand you should be able to get one. Since you are quoting dollars I’m assuming you are Stateside, I found a Sony HW45es on eBay which is currently bidding at $670+delivery with 17hrs to go.

Sony VPL-HW45ES Full HD Home Theater Projector (Black) 689739549235 | eBay

JVC
    JVC DLA-RS46U Reference Professional Series Projector (Full HD and 3D+New Lamp) | eBay

JVC D-ILA Home Theater Projector (DLA-RS45U) With Ceiling Mounting | eBay

20. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
  21. Harold88

Harold88

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Firstly the seller doesn't ship to his country and secondly even if he does, becouse is from outside EU the buyer will also have to pay additional VTA so in his case the full price of that projector, the shipping which will probably cost 150$ or so plus 20% the VTA of his country.

Only the shipping of that hevy item and VTA will set him back at last 400$.

It's not worth it.

22. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    So what is buyers address.?

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019 at 10:42 PM
  23. Stridsvognen

Stridsvognen

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +355
    If looking at JVC just dont buy any of the X3-X7-X9-X30-X70-X90, and RS models of that period, they are most likely to fail, balaster, lamps, ir boards.

24. BASSAMhd

BASSAMhd
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank u all, but the ebay links are bad imo, both are used+ they changed the lamp in both, and i think thats bad?
    any NEW PJ recommendation? what about new model?

25. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Actually bulb change in part and parcel of owning a projector as it’s a wearout item, the fact these have been changed is a good thing not bad as it means you aren’t hit with that expense in the near future.

Ok secondhand you is something you don’t want. Read as many reviews on google as you can find of machine at this price point so you have a mental picture of what brands and models are good and then go visit dealers for demos. Also something you need to be aware of is ssome people are sensitive to the rainbow effect with DPL projectors so best checking them out before you buy is this type of projector is on your list.

You should reconsider your opinion on pre-owned, projectors are generally used by enthusiasts and as such are treated like a baby. They are also designed to be in used for many, many years with mainly only the bulb and filter needing replaced. Would you even consider buying an ex-demo from a dealer or even a trade-in because you’ll get a much better projector for your money.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:03 AM
  26. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,270
    Best Answer
    Yes, as I said like all projectors including the jvc models, if you stand right next to the screen you will see the pixels. If you move back from the screen you won’t. It’s the same with all TVs as well, not just monitors. If you’re close enough you can see the pixels on those but you don’t generally watch with your face pressed up against them unless you’re 4 yrs old.

As I said the best thing for you to do is to use your own eyes and see for yourself. You’ll then see that your imagined problem doesn’t exist.

27. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Hadn’t thought of this. :D

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,468
    'perfect 1080p PJ under 1k?' - none are 'perfect', if they were the rest of the market could close.

Setting an arbitrary budget can be tricky as what you are looking for may not exist 'New' at that price point.

If you are new to projectors and go online you will find every small issue imaginable with any model you choose to consider - often once you actually sit in front of a projector you wonder what folk were talking about and simply get on with enjoying the movie.

For me I would avoid the Optoma DLP models as I always see colour flashes/rainbows - ideally go have a look at one before you purchase.

Whilst they are not 'perfect' we do find a lot of our customers enjoy the Epson 3LCD models which usually provide a good range of image/lens adjustment too.

In the S/H market the JVC models do offer great value - budget for a New Lamp if the unit has a high used hours count.

Joe

29. Luminated67

Luminated67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +288
    Totally agree, a S/H older JVC or newer Sony is the way to go. I think he is worried that buying secondhand it will have been beaten about but the fact is this things are treated extremely carefully. I reckon buying from the likes of an active member on a forum is the way to go.

30. Lee

Lee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,694
    I've deleted a number of posts. @Stridsvognen please stop derailing threads by posting the same stuff over and over!

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 2
    • List
  31. ask4me2

ask4me2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    That argument with the screen door mosquito net is somewhat true, but the real world outside that "window" is not generated from 3x cathod ray tubes painting the picture on some different RGB phosphorus surfaces either, with all it's shortcomings, so I think it is more about subjective/personal preferences than objective truth when it comes to many of these projector technologies and models that is mentioned in this thread.

If we take a closer look at how the picture on the source material is digital built and saved on a BD etc. we may see that this CRT with no screen door vs Digital projectors is not that helpful either. (Many projectors using e-shift manage to remove most of that too..)

Here is one example from a scene form the Fifth Element. with a detail in the picture zoomed so we can see what the projector needs to recreate.

[​IMG]

Have made some screenshots from a Sony G90 CRT projector and a JVC RS520 to compare, and think the JVC wins every time as long as a full fade to black (=no picture) is not what we want... :) The new digitals with lazer lightsource manages 100% full fade to black too...

Digital
    [​IMG]
    CRT
    [​IMG]

When it comes to picture resolution FullHD vs 4K, it is also important to know how the source material have been created (with 4K or higher from the start) , and at what viewing distances/screen sizes we can properly see the differences in the home theater. often shown by a diagram like this..

[​IMG]

It is certainly nice to be able to use a good high end 9" CRT with its analog film look on BD in 2019, but maybe in 99.5% of the time, new users that want to get a projector want a nice digital to start with.