Watched Lawrence of Arabia last night

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by loz, Jun 25, 2001.

1. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    Well part 1 actually - part 2 tonight

Interesting DVD.

The picture quality is mainly stunning for a 1962 film - however, there are parts where the restored print has pale bands running down the middle.
    Must watch the interview with Spielberg on the restoration project.

I did watch the making of documentary which was very good. It showed how some of the original scenes that had cut over the years were found, but had no soundtrack. So they got the original cast back 25 years later and dubbed it again.

The interactive 'journey' that allows you to follow the route Lawrence took is also very well done. What was impressive was original photos - some taken by lawrence himself - that show how close the film comes to recreating the true story.

The sound was also interesting. The music had been remixed for 5.1, and there were several scenes where they was an obvious opportunity for them to remix the dialog and effects for 5.1 and they took advantage. Like echos when he is singling in the Canyon.

It is certainly a timeless film. There's no way (apart from that banding on restored footage) that you would know this is a near 40 year old film.

Of course having restored it to its full 3 3/4 hour length some folks will think it drags on a bit in places. Fortunately the filming is wonderful and the scenery dramatic, but some will get bored with endless camels crossing the desert. On the other hand it does help you appreciate the immenseness of the journies they undertook

Certainly recommended for anyone who's patience extends beyond a 90 minute action film!

Having said that it was interesting that my 13 year old action/adventure mad son, can't wait to see part 2, and was all for watching it straight after - till I reminded him he had school today.

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    HI,

The "banding" yourefer to is probably down to the fact that LOA was filmed in Cinemascope.

Essentially, what this means, is that the some prints of the film were actually divided up into 3 parts, and the film then projected onto 3 individual screens, which were side-by-side. This was so that the wonderful widescreen photography could be shown in all its glory. The "banding" is where each of the 3 projected films overlap, so that none of the entire picture is missed out.

"2001" was also filmed in this way, as was "How The West Was Won". However not many other films were, as a cinema had to have 3 screens, instead of the usual one, and also had to have special projection equipment installed. All of that, proved to be cost prohibitive.

Hope that helps.

Pooch

3. SagaLout

SagaLout

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Probably my favorite film and certainly my best DVD. The whole experience is overwhelming. Actually it complements the Bridge over the River Kwai 2 disc set nicely. David Lean must have been awful to work for but he certainly produced some class films.

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    It's worth buying then?

I'm thinking of getting it for me mum's birthday.

rick

5. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I watched the interview with Spielberg, but he said nowt about the restoration. Mainly spent his time praising David Lean, and the film.

6. loz

loz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,787
    I figured that was probably the reason.
    It was filmed on 70mm film though, so most of the film from these negatives shows no joining.
    I guess some of the restoration though had to join together prints that had already been cut up into sections for projection.

I remember seeing 'How the west was won' as a kid on its first release, and having to go a long way to a cinema that could show it

7. Mr.D

Mr.D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,210
    The three strip process is cinerama.
    LOA was shot in super panavision 70mm.
    It was occasionally shown in cinerama by striking fake cinerama three strips from the 70mm (65mm neg to be accurate).

If the banding evident in the scenes mentioned is down to the cinerama process I can only assume they couldn't obtain the material in its original shooting format or a non-cinerama'd print.(as loz points out) Even so it would be a fairly straight forward job these days to remove the cinerama joins but bear in mind the restoration was carried out in 1989 when digital techniques were in there infancy.

However I have heard that the banding in some scenes is down to film expansion in the camera caused by the extreme temperatures.(this might be bogus though)

2001 was not filmed in cinerama either. The cineramas had a single curved screen and three projectors (more likely 6 for reel changes thinking about it).

8. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lawrence of Arabia was never shown in three strip Cinerama, although it was later presented as single strip 'Super Cinerama'. The only films to be shown in three strip Cinerama were:

This is Cinerama
    Cinerama Holiday
    Cinerama's Search For Paradise
    Cinerama's Seven Wonders of the World
    Cinerama's South Seas Adventure
    How The West Was Won
    The Wonderful World of the Brothers Grimm

'Windjammer' was filmed in Cinemiracle which was a very similar process to Cinerama and Cinermama Inc eventually became responsible for its presentation. The first 'Single Strip' Cinerama was 'It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World' and others included 'Grand Prix', '2001 A Space Odyssey', and 'Song of Norway' although a number of other 70mm features were presented in Cinerama. For more information on Cinerama just search 'Cinerama' and you will be taken to a number of websites. One of the best is http://www.widescreenmuseum.com/ where you can find a history of all widescreen processes. You can see 'This is Cinerama' on the first Saturday of each month at 1.30pm at the Pictureville Cinema at the National Museum of Photography, Film and Television, Bradford.