Watch your step.

iandrews

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Seeing as the sun was shining today I took a little walk at lunch time today to see if I could get any inspiration for this months photo. I was looking for anything that might cast a shadow when I came across this. I didn’t have my main camera with me but had my iPhone so decided to take a photo to see what it looked like.

Anyway I quite like it, and the iPhone records some EXIF information, so here it is:

09jancontrastsm.jpg

I know its blown out at the top, but the sun was low and I was shooting right into it, and anyway that was the effect I was after. I quite like the way it goes from just black and white at the top left and reveals more detail as you move to the bottom.

In elements 6 under Adjust Colour Curves I selected Increase Contrast. Then cropped, resized, sharpened and boarder added.

Camera: Apple iPhone 3G
F-Number: F/2.8
Date / Time: 21/01/2009 13:02

Ian.

Ooo. nice. and well done for using a mobile phone too, just proves you don't need a backpack full of expensive gear to get a good photo...

N.

Cheez, coming on here with an entry like that from a b****y phone, you trying to put us all to shame Ian:D

Very nicely done and on theme to boot:thumbsup:

This is brilliant. Just shows you that it is the photographer not the equipment that counts! And I wish you hadn't apologised for "blowing the highlights" because it doesn't matter a jot. It adds to the contrast of course. Best so far this month for me.

Lovely composition and great use of light to bring all that contrast out..nice spoy:smashin:

Well spotted, great shot, and with an iPhone too.

Can the iPhone do no wrong? - takes great pics as well! Pretty lucky someone was holding it at the time ;) This looks like one of those mindbending escher types, and will probably give me a headache if I stare too long, but I really like the simplicity and cleanness of this one.

Proof, if ever needed, that the equipment is only a tool for the talented user.

Just been discussing this shot with my wife and still can't believe it's been taken with an iphone.

Fantastic shot and well done indeed.

Thanks for the comments. I was struggling with an idea this month (and time). I was thinking about something dark and light, and maybe shadows, and was looking on the net and one of the photos I saw was this Contrast of light and shadows on Flickr - Photo Sharing! so I think I had that in mind when I took the photo.

Ian.

P.S. Was just looking on Flickr to find the other steps photo I just linked to and guess what I found Steps and Shadows on Flickr - Photo Sharing! Its amazing how often you can take a photo only to find someone has already taken it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom