Watch while Rocording TV after analogue switch off

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys i was just wondering if anyone knows how people are going to be able to watch while recording TV when we go fully digital, at the moment as far as i know Sky+ is the only system that allows the ablity to watch and record digital channels at the same time, I know for sure freeview as it stands can't also cable and standard Sky can't unless someone know somthing i dont, i haven't seen or heard anything from any TV company etc in regards to this matter, anyone know anything are we all going to have to throw our boxes away, and what about those like me who have freeview built into the TV, it seems to me that the advantages of the switch off have been highlighted but not the negative i'm i missing something here, thanks for any answers.

Yes; you have somehow missed Freeview PVRs. See the PVR & VCR thread just above this one. It is mainly concerned these days with twin tuner Freeview hard disk recorders. Quite a few of them have been around for acouple of years and there are numerous makes;Topfield; Humax; DigiFusion; Pace; Thompson; Sagem; Panasonic etc to name a few. :)

Richard

Richard46 said:
Yes; you have somehow missed Freeview PVRs. See the PVR & VCR thread just above this one. It is mainly concerned these days with twin tuner Freeview hard disk recorders. Quite a few of them have been around for acouple of years and there are numerous makes;Topfield; Humax; DigiFusion; Pace; Thompson; Sagem; Panasonic etc to name a few. :)

Richard

Thanks for the reply the thing is i didn't know about them, they dont seem to be advertised much so i'm sure most every day people that don't keep up with the latest tech wont even know about them which seems strange to me seeing as the switch off isn't that far away, all that companys are saying in regards to the switch off is you need a digital box ie freeview, sky, cable nothing has been said about needing twin feed hard disc recorders etc, thanks anyway i'll look into them.

Your quite right; the promotion of hard disk recorders has not been good. I suspect most people will end up with DVD recorders with a built in Digital tuner. No where near as satisfactory a solution IMO (fiddling around with disks etc) but they work in a very similar way to VCRs and that is what people are used to.

To be honest Hard disk twin tuner PVRs have not been 100% reliable (until recently at least). Personally I have had 3; 1 pace and curently 2 Topfields. I cannot remember losing a recording on a Topfield. You can set timers by clicking on the onscreen programme guide (EPG) you can record 2 at once and watch a previous recording; You can start watching a recording while it is still recording; pause live TV; jump ads with one 3min skip button and lots more. I rarely watch live anymore.

Richard

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom