Watch TV and control Tivo from upstairs

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by Gray2006, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I know similar questions have been asked before like mine, I just want to get it all 100% straight in my head before I order the parts!

I have a TV, Tivo box, amp, etc. etc. downstairs and just a TV upstairs. My girlfriend has recorded things on the Tivo box she wants to watch while in bed. I've always just watched things from a USB hdd upstairs, I don't even have an aerial attached to the TV, so I guess it's about time I did something about that...

So I was wondering exactly what the best way to do that is. I take it that first I will need to split the HDMI cable into 2, as the Tivo box has only one output? I think I have an HDMI splitter lying around somewhere.

I then put the HDMI cable from the Tivo box into an HDMI extender sender? Then I run a Cat6 cable from that extender, through walls and upstairs into my bedroom. The other end of the cat6 cable goes into the HDMI extender receiver, then another HDMI cable from that one into the TV in the bedroom?

And to control it all from upstairs I plug in an IR Tx probe downstairs and an Rx probe upstairs? Do the IR probes talk via the HDMI extender, or do I have to run a long cable connecting the two?

The distance between the two TV's is only about 5 metres (it's directly in the room above) so maybe I could just buy a 5 metre HDMI cable and link them up like that) but if I do that, how will the IR probes work?

Thanks for any help you can give me, I think I'm almost there, and the girlfriend will be pleased no end if I can get this sorted asap :)

Cheers,

Gray

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  2. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    You have got it about correct

Between rooms i'd definitely recommend Cat6 Cable and a HDBase extender as this will also carry the IR

If you do go for HDMI cable, id run a Cat6 cable as a back up as well. Also remember that Tivo has a free App so you could always control the Tivo from a smartphone.

If you didnt want to run any cable you could also look at HD over Powerline (HDJuicebox) as this would carry the video signal and also the IR

3. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the reply. would a powerline work between the upstairs ring main and the downstairs ring main? i know nothing about these at all. is it then a case of plugging one in downstairs then hdmi into that, and then the same upstairs? do the it bits plug into those too? and are the costs of the hdjuicebox similar to the cable costs?

4. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
    No you can't use homeplugs. Isn't there a smart phone/tablet remote app available and can't you use TV Anywhere to view on a tablet/laptop.

Live TV & On Demand - Virgin TV Anywhere - Virgin Media

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.virginmedia.tvanywhere&hl=en_GB

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/virgin-tv-anywhere/id477143650?mt=8

5. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Hdjuicebox has a transmitter and receiver that both plug into the mains plug socket. Also included in the transmitter is a genius splitter for a local TV. Different rings isn't a problem.

6. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
  7. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HDjuicebox lite kit seems a great neat solution, but at £300 it's a lot more than I planned on spending. I think the extender, splitter, ir bits and cable should come in at under £100.

If anyone wants to spec me up something, feel free :)

8. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,232
    Your budget would restrict you to either not using an HDMI extender and using just an HDMI cable or to the cheaper HDMI over dual cat6 solutions. This is one such extender:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Exten...qid=1434212080&sr=8-1&keywords=hdmi+cat6+neet

You can either choose to add the IR probes that enable you to use the same extender to extend the IR capabilities:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Neet®-Probe...ion-BLACK/dp/B00HFVE062/ref=pd_bxgy_23_text_y

or you could use an iOS or Android device and Virgin's TV Anywhere app to control the TiVo. Note that this would also require that your TiVo be wired to your router so that the iOS or Android device can comunicate with it over your local area network.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2015
  9. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I will order those bits and install the app on my phone (but I'll still use the remote more I think).

Thanks again :)

10. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had a change of plans and I reckon running cables around the house to upstairs isn't going to be the best option. We're planning on moving house in a couple of years, and the HDjuicebox could come with us. So before I order an HDJuicebox Lite, can you just clarify that it will work if one box is plugged into the downstairs ring main, and one in the upstairs ring main? If so, how does that work? Thanks.

11. grahamlthompson

grahamlthompson
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,208
  12. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,232
    The HDJuiceBox will allow you to convey the HDMI signal via your electrical outlets and wiring as long as the upstairs power points are wired up to the same consumer board (fuse board) as those associated with downstairs. You connect a transmitter to a power point downstairs and then connect your source or sources to that transmitter. The transmitter converts the HDMI signal so it can then be conveyed over your power lines. The receiver is plugged into a power socket upstairs. The receiver converts the signal back to HDMI and you connect your HDMI display to the receiver. Conveying a signal from one ring main to another isn't an issue as long as both ring mains share the same consumer unit.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  13. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK cool. The only thing to decide now is HDJuiceBox Lite or something by Marmitek. Hmmm.

14. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    As a new release there is 10% off for first 50 sales of HDJuiceBox Lite (code HDJB10) if that helps at all with your decision

15. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    In answer to your other questions , yes the HDJuiceBox Lite will work as long as both TX and RX units are connected to the same consumer unit

16. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do you know which is the better of the two, what the advantages and disadvantages are? I see that even with the 10% off (thanks!) it's still quite a bit more than the Marmitek.

17. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    As the HDJuiceBox Lite is our own box, difficult for me to comment on other makes.

If you are prepared to review it for us we could offer you one at £225 inc VAT

18. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sold! How would you like me to place the order?

19. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    i'll PM you

20. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Severe cut

21. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,152
    Back to topic - Thanks

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  22. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200

Back to the OPs original question.
    The BEST way of doing it is an HDMI modulator like this:

Edision HDMI Modulator Full HD RF Modulator DVB T | eBay

cabled to the room above.

It is compatible with magic eye systems and it also has RF pass through so that his aerial feed can be fed to the upstairs TV through the same cable. Two birds killed with one stone.

COST? Probably similar to having an aerial fed to the upstairs TV only and less than £225.

23. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    OP very happy with HDJuicebox Lite as he has just emailed me

24. winston2010

winston2010

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +200
    You mean he has received it, set it up, and tested it already. Seems remarkably quick considering it was less than 24 hours since discussing it!

25. Member 581642

Member 581642
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,501
    Its exactly what i mean, he bought it Monday , delivered Tuesday.

Set it up Tuesday night , had a few support questions which I answered last night now everything working fine.

That's what good customer support and service is :)

Not sure why you would question it.

Maybe the OP can confirm if you don't believe me

26. dante01

dante01
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11,232
    No, that isn't actually the BEST solution and I do believe the BEST wired solutions were already discussed and suggested? Anyway, the OP already made his decision and bought what he determined to be the BEST solution for his needs. Did you even bother reading the thread before interjecting for somewhat suspect reasons?

I'll not beat about the bush, you've no interest in the OP's problem at all and your objective is to antagonise another member, that member being AClass. Maybe a mod should look at your behaviour again?

A better wired solution would have been cat6 and dual cat6 baluns would have cost even less than your proposed solution including inbuilt IR extention and was suggested to the OP before your arrival.

You didn't enter into the discussion until after the OP had made his decision and purchased the goods. Again, did you actually read the thread?

Last edited: Jun 17, 2015
  27. Gray2006

Gray2006
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, I did buy a HDJuiceBox Lite. I ordered it on the Monday and it turned up early the next day.

I originally wanted to go the cable route, for no other reason than to keep the cost down. I would have only needed a fairly small cable run, maybe two lengths of cat6 of about 7m or so, running from downstairs in my living room, under my staircase and into the bedroom above.

But I am going to look at moving house in a couple of years or so and I didn't really want to leave cables here that would probably never be used by future tenants. Plus the HDJuiceBox could move with me!

Anyway, as soon as it turned up I connected it up. Took about 10 minutes maybe, at the most. Picture worked fine but I had no sound upstairs. This was due to HDMI being able to only carry one type of audio stream at a time. After contacting AClass Tech for support, he suggested how to fix it and bingo - all working fine. Excellent support I might add, very, very quick responses.

So there you go, I can now watch TV in my bedroom, and control the Tivo box from upstairs.

But the best thing is my girlfriend is happy. :)