Watch The Mars Rover Curiosity Landing on Your Xbox 360

virtual_boy

Did you know NASA is sending another Rover to Mars this weekend? How awesome would it be if we could snag a front row seat to the landing? Well, according to Major Nelson we can. That's right, we'll all be able to watch the Mars Rover landing from the comfort of our couch this weekend, thanks to Xbox 360!
Curiosity is scheduled to touch down on the surface of Mars this weekend and there will apparently be a “special Mars Rover section of your Xbox 360 dashboard right on the main page.” Not only will we be able to join NASA TV live, but the special dashboard event will also give us the chance to take a quiz about mission and learn about the incredible engineering behind it.
The event will stream live from Mission Control at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory on Sunday, August 5th. While Microsoft recommends we play the free Kinect Mars Rover Simulator while we wait for the momentous occasion, I'll probably be playing Trials Evolution, trying to get the last of my gold medals... Yea, I'm a little behind, what can I say?
Mars rover landing

Indiana Jones

I really hope it makes it down but I have my doubts on the deployment system they are using, having a rover the size of a car lowered down to the surface from a hovering jet platform just seems very Thunderbirds to me :)

pault2007

I've just downloaded the Xbox Live Event Player.

Didn't want to be rushing about downloading things in the morning and missing the action.

For a minute, I thought the Mars Rover Landing page hadn't been added to my Xbox yet but it's actually the third of the five screens that change in the centre of the home page (right stick to scroll through them).

Indiana Jones

Well I'll be damned it made it down.

Indiana Jones

You have to admit it does sound like something out of a Gerry Anderson show, a hovering jet platform slowly lowering down the rover then the cables are released and the platform flies away to a safe distance.

weetibix

You have to admit it does sound like something out of a Gerry Anderson show, a hovering jet platform slowly lowering down the rover then the cables are released and the platform flies away to a safe distance.
It does indeed. I saw the short animation of it on this evening news. Quite an amazing feat going from over 13,000 thousand miles an hour, to landing the rover itself safely at around one mile an hour.