1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch MCE TV on your PSP

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows' started by Spacecat, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    I worked out a way to watch your MCE recordings on your PSP(well Japanese one anyway) in decent quality and with no sync problems.

its a little convoluted but once you get the hang its quite straight forward and can be done in batches.

I bought mine yesterday! and i must say i am very impressed with the games and media capabilities the screen is amazing.

One of the main things for me was to be able to watch my MCE TV recordings on it which i now can.

If anyone is interested in knowing how let me know and i will say how i did it , might save you a lot of frustration trying to figure it out.

The 2 major drawbacks are the 1. The special MCE recorded TV files 2. The PSP plays back in sync at only 15fps or 29.97 fps (japanese one anyway dont know about the Uk one)

2. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Let us know, don't have a PSP but tested one, screen is pretty good, do you have to transcode the video to another format I presume, and how good is the quality and are the aspect ratios correct for full screen and wide screen content, also what is the encode time for like an epsisode of eastenders..., don't want to be waiting half an hour for an encode in the morning when I can just watch it on the PC in that time anyway...

Hey check out one of my encodes here...

LINK

3. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    All I can say is WOW!! that encode was SUPERB!! how did you do that!

My TV encodes are not in the same league ( i have done some pretty good divx ones though!)

because of the propietary nature of the MCE recorded files you have to do the following

1. The only prog I Know that can convert a MCE file into another format is MYTVTOGO which can convert files for watching on a Smartphone or PDA

this takes about 20-30 mins per hour (so do as a batch at night! or when u r not using the PC)

2. You then need to convert to AVI I use SMART MOVIE by Lonely cat games settings so far best compromise between file size and quality is 384 bitrate
    This takes about 6-7 mins per hour file

3. Then you need to convert to 29.97 fps UK MCE is recorded at 24 fps,i use a really good free prog called
    DGPULLDOWN this takes about 10 seconds!! this keeps the video and sound in sync

4.FINALLY !!!! use PSP Video 9 prog to convert to MP4
    about 20 mins per hour

PHEW!!!

If anyone knows a better way LET ME KNOW!!!! but the results are pretty good considering the amount of conversion going on

Like I said its a bit of a FAFF but if you plan in advance and do the big jobs when ur not using the PC its not too bad. TYPICAL MICROSOFT for having a file format no programme can work with (apart from MYTVTOGO)

I am a Tube commuter 1 hour each day so this is v good
    for me or if going on a train journey

I have a 1 gig card so i can have up to 5 movies on it or loads of TELLY!

4. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    BTW an hour of TV is about 80 mb

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Hmmm..I need a PSP to do some testing, any chance you can lend me yours, since your in the London area, oh I converted that file using the maximum settings support by PSP 9, this was done maybe 4 months ago, maybe even 6 not sure, but the reason it is so good is because I used a Hi-Definition Mpeg 2 Source file...anyway I got some 1080P and 720P HI-Def .wmv files, but I need a PSP to test them on, don't want to waste my time encoding them without being able to test them since .WMV is not officially support by PSPVideo9...

6. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    Hmmm..I need a PSP to do some testing, any chance you can lend me yours

NOT IN THIS LIFETIME!!! LOL

its a superb bit of kit i highly recommend getting one esp if u travel a lot

7. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    I only want it for testing purposes, not even for a DAY, I promise I won't scratch it...anyway, I know you won't lend it, but can't blame me for asking....

8. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    I tell you what every time you make a movie , I will download it and tell u if it works!

9. JonMace

JonMace

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +207
    Try using a app called "crunchy / crunchie" can't remember the spelling but it runs in the backgound and converts everything to AVI, very nice app, to be found on the green button

10. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should be getting a PSP on Wednesday. I'd be interested in knowing how to do this. Ta

11. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    PSP UPDATE

Cheers to Jon Mace for the TIP about crunchie
    I was having a few probs getting videos to sync every time
    used this prog (which is great in MCE on its own anyway it reduces recorded TV to about a 5th of the size with little in the way quality loss )

converted the Avis to with a file called 3GP convertor Perfect results!!

Now just a 2 step programme for perfect PSP TV watching

12. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    ANOTHER UPDATE !!

MYTVTOGO are doing a straight from MCE to PSP conversion programme to complement their programme that does direct conversions for PDAs and Smart phones (see my earlier post) NOW ITS ONE STEP!

They have asked me to Beta Test it for them

If its anything like the other version a direct conversion will take about 20 mins for an hour show.

I am getting pretty good results with my current approach so i will be interested to see how good it is picture quality wise, it can also run as a module in media centre or via a networked drive

There has been loads of progs coming out that convert all sorts of media files AVI,DVD DIVX for the PSP .
    I think it might really take off as a Media player let alone a games machine and web browser. The screen is superb.

13. Spacecat

Spacecat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +583
    UPDATE OF UPDATE

recieved my beta MYTVTOGO PSP version today, it works flawlessly
    so far, great direct conversion of MCE TV files and can be done over a network.

It takes about 30 mins to encode an hour of TV. You can also do this in batches so you could set up loads at night and they would be ready for you in the morning.

Its great watching TV on the PSP on the way to work in the morning esp when people are trying to get a look over your shoulder to see why your laughing!!!