Watch experts? Advice/info wanted re pocket watch

BT Bob

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I know there are a few watch gurus here, so I'm hoping for some help/advice, before I dip my toe in the water of "proper" watch forums....

I've been digging through some things I have from when my Mum passed away and have come across a pocket watch that I think would be cool to carry when I wear my 3-piece suit.

It's a Leonidas watch with a small second-hand dial at the bottom of the face (in the "6-o'clock" position).

On the back it's marked with GS/TP a small "up-arrow" and the number 087093.

Best of all, it works!

So a quick google tells me it's a General Service Time Piece - not sure what the number means, but I think it's just a manufacturer's code.

It's in pretty clean condition, I can't see a way of removing the back cover, so I'm not dabbling too much with it....

I believe this may have been my great-uncle's (my Mum's big brother) - he was a Flying Officer in the RAF in WWII, a Navigator in a Lancaster that was shot down over Belgium in (IIRC, 1941). I have his flying log and the black-edged letter from King George VI to my grand-parents telling them he was missing in action, presumed dead. Fascinating stuff.

I also found a (hallmarked) silver watch chain, with a small tag on the middle chain-section with his initials engraved on it (TCL).

To finish the set, I came across a medallion issued to him in July 1939 by the Royal Life Saving Society - again engraved with his name - in a small presentation box. I think the medallion is copper - it's mostly a dull brown colour (needs a clean, but I don't know how to do it - I don't want to risk damaging it, obviously), but is shiny copper-colour where the engraving is.

So I'm sorted for my waistcoat - lovely.

I have no idea if any of this has any monetary value (clearly the silver watch chain will have as its pretty heavy and fully hallmarked), but I'm stoked to have found such a great chunk of my family's history.

Apologies for the long-winded spiel.

If anyone has any info they can offer re the watch (or on cleaning the medallion) i'd be grateful. Cheers :smashin:

If anyone has any info they can offer re the watch (or on cleaning the medallion) i'd be grateful. Cheers :smashin:

Don't, clean the medallion that is. If it is shiny where the engraving is then most likely it's supposed to look dark brown elsewhere. Can you find photos of it on line to see what it's supposed to look like?

Thanks IG - that's the kiddy. Although I would say that copy is in "cleaner" overall condition than mine. You get a good impression of the "brighter" engraving though..
I did wonder about giving it a (very) gentle brush with a soft toothbrush, just to try to dislodge some of the thicker grime. I definitely wasn't going to go near it with any chemical or abrasive substance.
Cheers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom