1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Watch and record...

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Clio, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Clio

Clio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am about to buy a new LCD TV to go with my new hard-disk recorder (Pany E85). I have been looking at sets with a built in digital tuner, largely to get rid of the set top box and tidy things up a bit.

A friend who knows considerably more about this technology than I says don't get the built in tuner. If I do I won't be able to watch one channel while recording another as I do now.

Is this correct? My present set up has two VCRs: signal comes from the aerial and passes through both VCRs before reaching the TV so I can in fact watch one channel while recording two others. Even if there were a digital tuner in the new set, what would not a similar arrangement work with the new technology.

Any guidance will be greatly appreciated and is greatly needed. To indicate my level of knowledge, my current TV is 19 years old, one of the VCRs is over 10 and the other is about five! I am not exactly up to speed on all this yet.

Cheers,
    Clio

2. Binternet

Binternet
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    He is quite correct, you will only be able to record the channel that the TV has on unless

1. The TV has twin tuners that output to different scart sockets (not likely)
    2. You stick the digital box in the HDD recorder setup

3. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Your friend is quite correct, but there are simple ways around.

If you wish to watch one digital channel and record another, you will need a digital tuner for the display and one for the recording device. If you have a digital tuner built into the TV (i-DTV) you will still need an external one for the recorder. If you do not have a i-DTV, then you will need two external ones. Twin tuners are available but only as part of a PVR solution, the Pace Twin being one example.

If you want to watch an analogue channel and record a digital one, then you will need a TV that also has an inbuilt analogue tuner. It must also be possible for this to output the digital channel to a recording device whilst watching the analogue tuner. The other option would be to watch the analogue tuner from your recorder whilst the recorder records the digital tuner from the TV. Im not sure if this is possible.

If you want to watch a digital channel and record an analogue channel, then there are no limitations since your recording device will have an analogue tuner built in.

-Ian

4. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Firstly scrap 1 vcr

then get either twin tuner PVR or any PVR and an IDTV

5. Clio

Clio

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice guys, looks like my friend was right.

I guess I'll have to stick to the set top box.

Cheers,
    Clio

6. richjthorpe

richjthorpe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to add, I've not seen many IDTV's that actually work. Most reports have been that the internal digital tuners have a crap signal. Another reason to go for an external box.

Richie.

7. MartinImber

MartinImber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Sony IDTVs are very good - mine is over 5 years old and works perfectly! :p

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    No problem with mine - better PQ than my external box when viewed through SCART. Before it gets to the TV, its gone through 3 tuners (Pace Twin + DVD-R) already and possibly through another 2 (analogue + PIP). Signal strength >85%.

-Ian