1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Waste of money or not..?

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by Faust, Sep 19, 2005.

1. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Has everyone’s not insignificant outlay for an LCD or Plasma screen been something of a waste of money? I pose this question following John Archers report on the What Video and Widescreen TV homepage concerning the impending emergence of SED panels. It would appear that SED technology has all the benefits of CRT LCD and Plasma, with none of the disadvantages of those respective technologies. According to the article commercial release of this technology is now only a year away at most.

2. cerebros

cerebros

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Reading the article on the HCC website about Toshiba's forthcoming SED sets, I'm wondering if they don't also potentially suffer from one of the drawbacks of CRT namely screen burn.

If I'm reading their article correctly, SED uses phosphers (like CRT) so it is surely potentially susceptible to screen burn in this age of permanent DOGS? I know it's somewhat more difficult to cause screen burn on CRT than it is plasma, but I can't see anything in the article which says screen burn isn't a potenital issue

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I'm not sure what you're asking? If you mean is it a waste of money to buy an LCD or Plasma now because SED is supposedly going to be better, then no, because SED probably won't be "affordable" (and by that I mean the prices we pay for LCD screens now) for a long time yet.

BTW, I've heard SED also suffers from 50/60hz flicker like a CRT. So it's supposedly not all good.

4. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    if your happy with yor purchase then no, if your not happy why did you buy it in the first place,everytime we want something new we could hold back because something better is on the designers table and we would end up with nothing,we must all accept what we buy today will be cheaper or outdated in the not so distant future.

5. daz1976

daz1976

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Couldn't agree more ijd.

daz

6. Llanowar

Llanowar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All new technologies are said to completely annihalate the whole competition... but all of them have some sort of drawback, let's just first see what they cost, what kind of power consumption they have, and if the picture is really that great. Till then i'll enjoy my lcd, i can always move it up to my bedroom :)

7. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    well my £2k was a waste of money considering I'm going to have to replace it to get Xbox 360/Sky HD compatibility.

But I've had 2 great years out of it, so not so bad...

8. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    According to the article the prices will not be much more than current LCD's.

Having said that the only SED's I have read about being manufactured are in the region of 50" so the equivalent 50" LCD is :eek: .

9. johnrevill

johnrevill

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You're a long time dead.
    You can't take your money with you.
    We're only here once.

I think you can apply any of the above to this question.

So what if there is a new technology a year or so around the corner? Just buy the big plasma/lcd now and enjoy it..! Its never going to be an investment and as soon as any item like this is produced it will be out of date (very similiar to the computer market) as a better/later version will be in the works.

10. Faust

Faust

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Yes but I don't invest in expensive products only to buy the next new thing just around the corner, I buy with ten years usage in mind, so the product has got to be just right satisfaction wise. A product is only expensive if what you have purchased is not truly what you want, therefore SED may be just the thing I am looking for. I'm not sure consumerism makes anyone happy but perhaps such a philosophical debate is best suited to another time and place.

11. andrewfee

andrewfee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +500
    SED sets are due to launch in Japan early next year, starting with 50" models.

They suffer from CRT flicker, and as they are phosphorus, have a high chance of being succeptible to burn-in. From reading many people's impressions, they were not blown away when seeing this technology in action, especially when it sounds so good on paper.

Right now, LCD is the best technology out there, in my opinion. It's not perfect, but no display technology is. The latest generation LCDs are fantastic displays; you won't be disappointed.

If you are prepared to wait, there will always be something better or cheaper available. Philips is said to have some new "Clear LCD" technology coming out in the first half of next year, which looks to be the next best thing out there if it actually works. However, Philips' high end sets are always expensive (about £2k for a 32") and there's no guarantees that the technology will be better than what we've got.

Personally I would say either wait for ClearLCD or buy now. You won't be disappointed either way.

Being an early adopter of a completely new technology sounds like a good idea, but you usually end up paying more for something that will see significant improvements with each generation. LCD technology has been around for many, many years now, and has been refined a lot. Philips' ClearLCD technology is just an extension of this, rather than being a whole new technology, and as such I don't think they will have any real issues.

12. tospan

tospan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The technology for the flat pannel tv is going many development cycles. Both plasma & LCD TVs started started almost similar times. The plasma penetrated at a faster space because of the demands for large screens and relatively ease in production. The LCD TV technology has just gained the momentum and hopefully this will contunue next 10 years or so before SED becomes fully developed(?) and gain the similar momentum as LCD. If SED does not become successful something else or other altervative will appear to satisfy the vast electronic market. This is bound to happen otherwise the whole thing will be stagnant. As with car not everybody is able to replace the old one ever year.

I bought my pana 32LXD1 just year and a half now. I am still satisfied with this and hopefully keep this until lasts. For me, a second purchase in the next 1-2 years will only be justifiable if the HD brings much improvement comparing to what I already have.

13. richard plumb

richard plumb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,026
    yeah I know what you mean about the cycles. Sometimes I regret being on the front of some of them, but you get the fun first too :)

I need to roadmap my TV/projector buying plans, if only to stop me wasting money this time. I need HD ready, but do I go big, do I go 1080p before 1080p inputs are sorted out....

I think the current sweetspot is probably a 37" 720p LCD. Then wait a year or so and get a 1080p bluray compatible front projector (AE1000?) Then when the 720p set dies in 5 years or so, get some nanotube wallpaper and have my TV the size of the wall! Oh, and a jetpack :p

14. Solomon Grundy

Solomon Grundy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,465
    It's a long way off and I can't wait over a year to buy a screen for my new PC/xbox360...so I'll settle for an LCD right now.

15. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    The way I look at it is this, I like to have what is the best out there at the moment like everyone else does, if SED arrives and it really is better than my 6 series Panasonic plasma I will swap, but only if I can afford it, you have to draw the line somewhere and I won't spend more than £100 a month on a TV. To be honest I think SED will wipe the floor with what is about at the moment, but it will take time to do it, and by then I hope prices will be more realistic. They have said that these are going to be the Ferraris of the TV world with price tags to match.

16. LazenbyADT

LazenbyADT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i agree that SED will probably be the dogs b******s when it reaches the UK, however it will be many years before it becomes affordable and perfected so for now i have now problem in spending circa £1500 on an HD ready LCD screen.

17. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    i wonder how many people bought the early plasmas with that thought in mind,
    how long is the suggested life on an SED, have they been around long enough to tell?

18. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +625
    They are talking about prices of $10,000+ for the first SED screens, why not buy a £1000 plasma now and sell it for £600 in 18 months when SED arrives, it really isn't going to affect the overall cost that much.

19. ijd

ijd

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +129
    when sed is unvieled i wonder what will be announced to beat and better that??

20. TarMoo

TarMoo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +299
    See SED Technology

• Less than 1 ms update time.
    • Contrast ratio of 100,000 : 1
    • 1920 x 1080p Sets available in 2007

Looks good if the costs come down to plasma levels.

21. RyanK

RyanK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    bloody hell

makes a lcd contrast ratio of 800:1 look alwful

22. Moe

Moe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The only public demonstrations of SED in Europe,namely at the recent IFA show in Berlin,were carried out in almost total darkness,as there is a problem with screen brightness.
    This was acknowledged by the manufacturer as a problem that needs addressing.

23. AdiCab

AdiCab
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Anyone know much about where OLED is at the moment?

I remember hearing great things about that about a year ago.