WASTE-ABLE DATA

samuelwaylen

Novice Member
WASTE-ABLE DATA
I recently bought an external Hard Drive so that I could transfer the active, useful Data from my 800Gb C: Drive to it as a back-up, and possibly too, a preparation for changing my operating system.
Every useful piece of data I have got, or done is on this Hard Drive
BUT....When I copied it, only 300 to 400 Gbs were transferred.
This leaves roughly 100 to 300 Gbs still on the Hard Drive.
There was a time when THAT much space would have represented 4, 5 or 6 Entire Hard Drives
It isn't 'my' data, because my own files got transferred and it wasn't there when the computer left the factory. So what could it be I wondered ?

I have , very kindly by told by a member of this Forum that the residual stuff might well be :-
1) Windows,
2) updates,
3) apps,
4) swap file,
5) hibernate file
6) temporary files. and that
There is also probably a recovery partition but that won't show up at part of C:

Can anyone recommend free software that can filter this data and remove the useless portions of this, ( as far as is practical ) to free up space on the C; Drive ?

next010

Distinguished Member
Go into settings->system->storage

In here the OS will auto scan C drive and allow you to delete unwanted data.

You can also set it to scan other drives too if needed.

To get rid of recovery partitions easily will require a third party tool that will delete it then resize the primary partition, software like this should do it. But make sure you have backups of data in case something goes wrong.

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
It's rare that there's an application that leaves large amounts of unless files laying around, the vast majority are good about cleaning up after themselves.

At most there'll be a very small amount of potentially useless data, such as configuration files for an uninstalled program to preserve settings in case you reinstall it in future.

There's generally no program that will automatically remove these though as they're application specific.

samuelwaylen

Novice Member
Dear Distinguished Member next010,
Thank you so very much for sending me a reply so quickly .
The key to your advice;-

' Go into settings->system->storage
In here the OS will auto scan C drive and allow you to delete unwanted data.'

This makes really good-sounding sense.

However,

I went, via my Control Panel, to ' System' as you suggested .
On the Control Panel ' Home ' which appeared on the page, I was given a choice of four titles in the left hand column

1) Device Manager
2) Remote Settings
3) System Protection
4) Advanced System Settings,

I then tried to find, on the page, the word ' storage ' but have been downright unlucky in finding it.
So the auto scan and the hoped - for deletion has not yet quite worked.
I wonder if telling you that I run Windows 7 Pro may make a difference ?
In the absence of an obvious ' storage ' option, what might you suggest I do ?

samuelwaylen

Novice Member
It's rare that there's an application that leaves large amounts of unless files laying around, the vast majority are good about cleaning up after themselves.

At most there'll be a very small amount of potentially useless data, such as configuration files for an uninstalled program to preserve settings in case you reinstall it in future.

There's generally no program that will automatically remove these though as they're application specific.
O.K. Thanks for that.....

EndlessWaves

Distinguished Member
I went, via my Control Panel, to ' System' as you suggested .

Settings, not control panel.

He's assuming you're running Windows 10, the terms are slightly different in Windows 8. IIRC it's something like PC rather than System.

If you're running a version of Windows more than a decade old I seem to remember the closest thing was Disk Cleanup.

samuelwaylen

Novice Member
O.K. Thanks for that.....

Settings, not control panel.

He's assuming you're running Windows 10, the terms are slightly different in Windows 8. IIRC it's something like PC rather than System.

If you're running a version of Windows more than a decade old I seem to remember the closest thing was Disk Cleanup.
Thank you. I know that you said ' settings not Control Panel' but with Windows 7 Pro the only way I could get to ' Settings' was to reach it via my Control Panel. I am, as yet, unaware of any other way of accessing it.
I have now found ' Disk Cleanup' and am using it right now.
So far, so good. But after it did its scan it appears that it can remove a mere 10 GB's.
10 is better than none but it still begs the question of the other 200 or so Gigabytes still stuck there.
The extension of this is that after a while, albeit a long one, the entire Hard Drive will be choked up.Or am I missing something ?

oneman

The 200GB are files that your PC needs to run. Unless you are running out of space then leave things as they are.

With regard to backups, have you got any data that isn't in My Documents, Downloads, My Music and My videos ?

No point copying Windows or Program Files folder, you can't just copy it back to make you system work.

Two things,
1) if you are curious, an App called TreeSize will give a graphical breakdown of sizes of folders and files.

2) I am not sure how you are backing up but have a look at EaseUS ToDo backup software. It's pretty easy to use,.can use USB, NAS, cloud storage, incremental (only backs up files that have changed) and a whole host of other features. The free version lacks the ability to schedule the backups but does everything that you need.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung Micro LED, Mini LED, NEO QLED TVs and More: AVForums Podcast Interview
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom