1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wasp Nest?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Gary D, Sep 4, 2005.

1. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    Morning All,

My daughter has just pointed out a great deal of wasp activity at the back of our house up by the roof. I'm not sure if it is a nest yet, but there is a fair amount of small flying things by a small hole wher my roof attaches to o my neighbours.

Question: who deals with it? does the council do it or is a yellow pages job?

Thanks

Gary

2. The Dude

The Dude
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,452
    Im pretty sure the Council do wasps nests if they're affecting residential property....

failing that, recruit some of the local youngsters and arm them with right-guard 'flamethrowers'.. :D

3. GalacticaActual

GalacticaActual

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272

Wont do any harm to contact the council first. Failing that yell.com and search for pest controll in your area. The local council dealls with our problems at work all the time. Had a huge nest in a tree a few weeks ago. It doesnt take them long to sort it either. Bit of powder sprayed about a bit and its all over bt the next day :eek:

4. GaryB

GaryB

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,292
    If you can get to the entrance they're using and you're feeling reasonably brave, you can treat it yourself (and save about £30).

Get some wasp killer that contains Bendiocarb and comes in a puffer pack. This is the same stuff the Professionals use (Pest Controllers, not Bodie & Doyle) but not quite as strong. B&Q's own brand is as good as anything. Puff a generous amount of it in and around the entrance. Do it in the late evening when the wasps are all in the nest. The wasps will carry the powder into the nest which will kill the workers and the queen. You should see a large reduction in the number of wasps within a couple of days. A few days later you may see some more as the eggs that were in the nest hatch but they will probably be weak. Another puff will get rid of them.

5. HMHB

HMHB
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,076
    I would always contact the local council first of all, although they may charge for doing it at least you know you are not going to be ripped off by the council !

6. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    Send the missus to do it, while your enjoying a beer. :devil:

7. Steven

Steven
    Senior Moderator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,382
    Weird isn't it this weather? Wasps are still around in Sept, when there were downpours weeks ago

You saying you've got wasps, makes me less annoyed about those mosquito look alike things

8. Chris Muriel

Chris Muriel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +749
    Wasps don't reuse an old nest.
    Therefore, if you don't bother with it, they won't be back next year - at least not in same location ; they could still nest elsewhere on your premises.
    We discovered a nest late last September , but, since we were about to vacate the home for nearly 3 weeks' holiday, we left it alone.
    We had no wasp trouble this year.

Chris Muriel, Manchester.

9. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,432
    It could be worst it could be cockroaches :eek:

10. lockers

lockers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Today is obviously wasp day...I've just been up in the loft as we had some buzzing around, and just spied a nest not dissimilar to the one in the other thread :eek:

It may not be quite as large, but funnily enough, I didn't want to get that close and whip out the tape measure. :D

Decided instead to make a hasty retreat and look on the internet for the council's number to ring in the morning. I think this is much more favourable than a DIY job!