• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Washing powder, whats the difference...

lynx

Senior Moderator
Folks, I'm a complete domestic retard. When it comes to laundry, whats the difference between biological and non biological powder?
My complete lack of understanding such things is becoming a problem.
Help!

D

Deleted member 174041

Good thread, ive always wanted to know to. I suppose its better to use Non-bio on a new-born then as its for sensitive skin.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Depends, I'm kind of of the thought process that we need to expose kids to more these days to build up resistance to stuff however you wouldn't want any adverse effects to happen. Don't think we had non-bio's for many years and kids of old didn't seem to suffer as much as kids these days with things like asthma and exzema but who knows exactly what's causing the rise of this stuff :)

D

Deleted member 174041

Depends, I'm kind of of the thought process that we need to expose kids to more these days to build up resistance to stuff however you wouldn't want any adverse effects to happen. Don't think we had non-bio's for many years and kids of old didn't seem to suffer as much as kids these days with things like asthma and exzema but who knows exactly what's causing the rise of this stuff :)

I think central heating is a cause for alot of the things you say. Dry heat is no good for you.

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Have exzema and asthma not been on a big rise since early-mid 80's? I thought central heating didn't become 'popular' (or more affordable perhaps!) until the 90's?

The reason I said exzema and asthma as my examples is I think as illnesses they are closely linked? Possibly not lol my mind has many ill-informed, badly-linked bits of non-info floating about in it :D

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
Don't know if I've read that wrong, please correct me if I have, but did you basically say that the cause is from the mind?

Razor

Distinguished Member

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
I didn't think central heating being installed in houses coincided with the rise in asthma sufferers.

*EDIT*

I was associating central heating with just being gas central heating and not all types of heating within the house. My bad :)

Last edited:

lynx

Senior Moderator
So if one has central heating installed, is the preference bio or non bio when it comes to washing powders?

This just gets more and more confusing.

Steven

Senior Moderator
Don't neglect conditioner. No comment at all from me if you have a young child as I have no idea on the do's and don'ts in that area, but that aside, dammit, I do notice a new level of softness

Rorifett

Distinguished Member
So if one has central heating installed, is the preference bio or non bio when it comes to washing powders?

This just gets more and more confusing.

If there is anyone in your household with sensitive skin go for Non-Bio, if everyone is tough then use whatever is cheapest :thumbsup:

lynx

Senior Moderator
Complicating matters with "all in one" and conditioners is unlikely to help things. Remember, i'm shockingly ill informed on these matters.

Perhaps the forum lady members can weigh in with some well informed words of wisdom.

jassco

Distinguished Member
The aetiology of both is psychological.

that's ridiculous. please nobody take this comment to be true. I'm actually so puzzled by it I'm not sure you know what you've just typed?

Eczema is caused by either an allergy or irritants. That's why new-borns can have eczema. Unless you believe that new-borns have the psychological capability for somatisation?

and similar can be said for asthma, except for usually different irritants

IronGiant

:)

I did have to bite my lip and not respond to that post by suggesting he was talking out of his less attractive orifice.

I tried to refute it more subtly :D

IronGiant

Another suggestion, the super rinse/ extra rinse/ extended rinse on your washing machine is definitely worth using if your children have "psychological" :suicide: skin no matter what powder you use.

whiskyboozer

that's ridiculous. please nobody take this comment to be true. I'm actually so puzzled by it I'm not sure you know what you've just typed?

Eczema is caused by either an allergy or irritants. That's why new-borns can have eczema. Unless you believe that new-borns have the psychological capability for somatisation?

and similar can be said for asthma, except for usually different irritants

Try reading this, for starters, 'Psychosomatic Medicine: Its Principles and Applications' F Alexander makes fascinating reading.

If you don't think there is a link between the mind and the body then you are sadly mistaken.

Of course the symptoms of these condtions are real, well as real as anything else, and I have every sympathy with sufferers of these diseases.

MikeTV

Distinguished Member
Perhaps the forum lady members can weigh in with some well informed words of wisdom.
Yes, come along my darlings! ::rotfl:

Anyway, the bio's make your clothes much cleaner. The microbes eat the dirt. That's the way I understand it anyway. It's good bacteria, or something.

But, much worse for the environment. Unless, of course, you end up washing your clothes twice with a non-bio to compensate, which is pretty bad too (or three times with an eco-friendly non-bio). Its a tough choice, isn't it?

krish

Distinguished Member
Anyway, the bio's make your clothes much cleaner. The microbes eat the dirt. That's the way I understand it anyway. It's good bacteria, or something.
It's enzymes, not microbes ... though they're produced by microbes then extracted and purified ... you don't really want your clothes washed with live E. coli ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom