Quantcast

Washing Machines - which make is most reliable?

wokeye

I wouldn't personally spend a lot on a washing machine. I'm not paying over the top prices for a premium brand. I read about them and decided that they were all pretty crap and as such bought a Curry's Essentials one 6 years ago for £150. It's never missed a beat, if it fails its going to the dump.

I used to be hung up on brands of dishwasher, as I had a Bosch in my previous house for a decade. The tablet dispenser is garbage on them, had trouble with that twice, but I fixed it myself. The only other type of dishwasher I used was some unbranded one on holiday at Center Parcs that was utter garbage and never dried the dishes. When I moved house I couldn't find a house to buy and had to rent for a while. There was a slimline slot for a dishwasher. So I bought one for £50 off Facebook. Its a Kenwood that is at least 10 years old, I can't even find instructions for it on the internet. But its performance is right up there with a Bosch in every single respect. Its an old machine, and the new ones could well be a pile of junk that kenwood make. I certainly wouldn't pay a lot for Bosch or a Neff again.

I had an integrated Bush fan oven in my last house that cost me £120 from Argos, was superb, reliable and correct temperature.

Maybe appliances are like cars, people love the branding. I kind of get it with a car, just. But with an appliance, no ******* way...

ThinkGlobal01

Novice Member
Reliability should be measured by the percentages of actual service calls versus sales. The quality of spinners, motor, it's overall body makes it more reliable. Apart from this Life cycle of electric equipment is also a factor which makes it more reliable.

Squirty

Standard Member
It's very difficult to separate anecdotal stories about appliances from the real facts when your sample size is in single figures.
We've all had that machine that either exceeds or fails our expectations, but should you really judge a whole swathe of appliances and makes based on such few experiences?

There isn't a simple answer, I've been repairing and installing machines for over 30 years and when asked what brands people should buy it's getting harder to confidently predict the rough lifetime of any particular make or model that I sell. It's even harder when once traditional British or European brands are manufactured in China at knockdown prices and marketed over here as 'made in the EU'.

The reality is of course that the cheaper machines tend to give poorer results and break down far more often than the better quality brands. That's just simple fact.
But it's very hard to convince some of that when the cheap pile of crap they have is somehow miraculously still running after 8+ years

EUarmy

My cheap Servis washing machine broke down for the first time after 17 and a half years of regular use. Has a Miele ever lasted this long?
Tried to buy Servis again; but was unable to so ordered an LG which already included a 5 years parts and labour warranty

Last edited:

JamesGames

Standard Member
A few people have recommended AEG however I have to disagree. We're currently having a terrible time with our washer dryer and it's had all sorts of issues. It's been noisy, leaking, not drying. Fortunately it's been repaired under warranty but we've had around 5/6 parts replaced over the past 2 years.

Adrian E

Doubt the OP is still reading this lol

Miele still going strong when we moved house, after 13 years service and only one call out for a faulty condenser on the tumble drier side. Good indy repair man resolved with no issues. Sold it when we moved house as now have a utility room with x2 appliance slots.

Current washing machine is a circa 2015 LG direct drive, which last owners of our new house left behind. Bloody noisy and doesn't clean as well as the Miele. Everything about it is flimsy, no shut off valve at the water inlet either. Shopping for a heavily discounted Miele in end of year clearances.

Didn't buy a Miele tumble drier - more expensive than we wanted to spend, so bought a highly reviewed by Which? Bosch heat pump one which works really well and doesn't cost a fortune to run.

Another vote for Siemens quality overall on their top end appliances too - it's just 'posh' Bosch - although the dishwashers are now made in Turkey and aren't as good as the one we had before our first Miele.

speccy4eyes

Standard Member
My cheap Servis washing machine broke down for the first time after 17 and a half years of regular use. Has a Miele ever lasted this long?
Tried to buy Servis again; but was unable to so ordered an LG which already included a 5 years parts and labour warranty

Yes our Miele washing machine was 26 years old when we moved house and left it , still going strong I believe.
replaced it with another Miele , should see us out.

Top Bottom