Washing machines don’t reach correct temperature

Discussion in 'Domestic White Goods Forum' started by stonyb, Aug 6, 2018.

1. stonyb

stonyb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    As per recent Which report - which begs the question how can a consumer measure the actual temp
    reached in a WM wash.
    I have tried to find an answer but so far cannot find a 'straightforward' device which would enable me to do so.
    Has anyone on AV had more success ?

2. Gavtech

Gavtech
    Administrator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,992
    Measure the exhaust temperature when the first wash is pumped out?

3. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
    Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
    Ratings:
    +11,073
    Get a thermometer that you can stick to the inside of the door glass.

4. outoftheknow

outoftheknow

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,344
    Don’t disagree in theory but presumably this is on a test run with no clothes to knock it off? Then I agree 100%.

Oh and assuming the machine fills to a level where the thermometer sits in the water with no clothes in it.

Then of course the machine uses say 4 temperature points depending which is selected in a cycle. You might want to do a run on each temperature to check each setting is as accurate as the other.

Ultimately I am not sure I am too concerned that my machine doesn’t achieve 60 degrees or whatever. 99.9% of the time I use a quick cycle at 40 degrees and my other half uses the same cycle with the default 30 degrees. I doubt it matters how accurate either temperature is to be honest.

Nowadays I suppose there is a way to read the output of the temperature sensor that feeds the programmer as reaching the set temperature. I doubt it is clearly accessible but suspect a modern machine will have technician codes that display the temperature etc. amongst other things the user may not need.

Finally I assume the issue being pointed out by Which is that consumers expect the temperature to match the ‘promise’ of the setting? Maybe some do but I can’t get worked up about it personally.

Now - temperature achieved by coffee machines was a report of substance :) that very quickly affects the taste of the coffee. With modern detergents I doubt the exact temperature in a wash cycle affects performance in the same way. If the set temperature doesn’t clean clothes as expected. the machine isn’t cleaning clothes which is what it is intended to do. You wouldn’t bother claiming it didn’t meet the temperature. You would claim it isn’t cleaning clothes. Why isn’t your problem as a consumer. IMHO of course.