Washing machine advice

almightygoodgod

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Being someone who classes himself as 'in the know' when it comes to everything AV I didn't think it would be very hard to research washing machines and choose the best deal for my wife and I. Well I was wrong. I have not got the slightest clue where to start!

I am looking for a good washing machine that isn't going to break the bank. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should buy and where from would be hugely appreciated!

I am looking for a good washing machine that isn't going to break the bank. Any advice or suggestions as to what I should buy and where from would be hugely appreciated!

This may sound like a daft question, but will the machine be used on a daily basis?

Miele make the best machines out there hands down, but they do cost more at the start. At the moment they all come with a minimum of 5 years guarantee, and some of their higher priced models have a 10 year guarantee.

We have an LG direct drive jobbie, mainly for the 8kg load. It's been good since new a couple of years ago, which is a bit of a record in our house, and is very quiet.

Dave

This may sound like a daft question, but will the machine be used on a daily basis?

A few times a week usually, will be in the cellar so not bothered about the noise.

Thanks to everyone so far for the comments, will have a look a those. Any suggestions on where to buy?

A few times a week usually, will be in the cellar so not bothered about the noise.

If thats the case then you don't need to be looking at the premium brands i.e Bosch, Miele

One handy tip, what ever machine you decide to buy if it comes with a manufacturers extended warranty I would recommend you take this additional cover to include parts and labour, rather than any warranty offered by the shop

I've never had a problem with Indesit and they're not too expensive either.

we have just bought an indesit machine for our kitchen, had to be integrated and we got it from comet who where doing 25% off.

compared to the old SMEG one this is a breath of fresh air.

quick wash cycles are a must

Dal

Whats the washing machine doing in the cellar ?, shouldn't they be used for a dedicated cinema room :thumbsup:

If thats the case then you don't need to be looking at the premium brands i.e Bosch, Miele

Meh, can't speak for Miele but the Bosch we had was a pain.
It was a Classix model.
Bought it specifically because of their reputation, waste of time.
Beware 'free' 5 year guarantees too.
Make sure they are parts and labour.
Many of them (Hotpoint, for one) have parts only.
Then they charge you a minimum of £99.75 for a call out.

Miele. Will work out cheaper in the long run. Mine is over ten years old now and it will last another ten years. When you look at many of the cheaper brands and how often you will have to repair/replace them over the years, including the hassle of arranging a service call and waiting in for the engineer etc, Miele will save you money and time.
Their 5 year and 10 year guarantees are backed by Miele themselves and are for parts, labour and call out.
On top of that they do a very good wash and are very economical to run.

we have just bought an indesit machine for our kitchen, had to be integrated and we got it from comet who where doing 25% off.

compared to the old SMEG one this is a breath of fresh air.

quick wash cycles are a must

Dal

Funnily enough I just bought an integrated Indesit one from Comet. My wife is very happy with it, and she moans that I never buy her anything ! tsk :devil:

Also, I was very pleasantly suprised with Comet after sales service. I had to phone them a couple of times with questions. I was expecting the usual dire call center response but they were unfailingly polite, helpful and friendly. Maybe they are having a customer service drive ?

but the Bosch we had was a pain.
It was a Classix model.
minimum of £99.75 for a call out.

Never had any problems with our Bosch washing machine in the 9 years we had it used on a daily basis and this particular model was bought on the recommendation of Which?

Back then these were made in Germany, but a few years ago production was transferered to Eastern Euorpe so quality may have suffered, although they have upped their guarantee to two years

Miele. Will work out cheaper in the long run. Mine is over ten years old now and it will last another ten years. When you look at many of the cheaper brands and how often you will have to repair/replace them over the years, including the hassle of arranging a service call and waiting in for the engineer etc, Miele will save you money and time.
Their 5 year and 10 year guarantees are backed by Miele themselves and are for parts, labour and call out.
On top of that they do a very good wash and are very economical to run.

That's like saying an Audi is cheaper in the long run, because they depreciate less etc.
Completely irrelevant if you can't afford to buy one in the first place.
No offence, but it's no good being smug and saying your Miele was worth the money, when it's a brand outwith the reach of most people.

Last edited:
I don't know what your budget is, but Miele machines start at about £599. Other than that I would recommend either a Bosch or AEG mid range machine.

Would anybody have any comments on cold fill as opposed to cold and hot fill washing machines?

Would anybody have any comments on cold fill as opposed to cold and hot fill washing machines?

All new machines are now cold fill only as part of so called energy saving measures

Washing machines have to heat the water anyway, and the "hot water" coming in from the pipes would likely have been sitting for a while and therefore need heating anyway.

Plus using cold water for the prewash cycle is better at helping to remove stains than using hot water.

That's like saying an Audi is cheaper in the long run, because they depreciate less etc.
Completely irrelevant if you can't afford to buy one in the first place.
No offence, but it's no good being smug and saying your Miele was worth the money, when it's a brand outwith the reach of most people.

OP didn't say he was flat broke or could only spend £200. Currys (Far from the cheapest) sell Miele from £550 including 5 year full guarantee. Their cheapest machine from a half decent make is a Whirlpool at £245. Add £215 for their five year cover and that comes to £460.
£90 isn't much of a difference for a machine that will last twenty years.

Maybe part of the reason some people might be always short of money is that they always buy cheap stuff that needs to be replaced all the time.

Washing Machine Help and Advice - Washer Help UK

This site helped me a great deal when I got bored of spending my weekends repairing the 5 year old Indesit we had. In the end I spent about £500 and got a Bosch model. 8KG drum so a double quilt can easily be washed or our boy's rugs from his room. Door opens 180degree's so getting things in and out is easy, easy to use, looks great, very quiet (the first week we had it we keep going out to the kitchen to make sure it was still working!) and VERY fast spin and touch sensitive buttons and solid build quality. All this and of course I've never used it myself...

I don't know what your budget is, but Miele machines start at about £599. Other than that I would recommend either a Bosch or AEG mid range machine.

Another vote for Miele.

Purchased our one just before christmas for £599 on the basis that the Miele tumble dryer we have has not gone wrong in the 18 years we've had it and is still going strong and an aunt who purchased a washing machine at the same time is also still using it with no problems apart from 1 callout about 5 years ago.

In the same time period we have had 3 washing machines (2 boschs and a zanussi) hardly cheap brands.

KAZER

Avoid Hotpoint like they were all infected with a hemorrhagic fever.

We have an LG direct drive jobbie, mainly for the 8kg load. It's been good since new a couple of years ago, which is a bit of a record in our house, and is very quiet.

Dave

I have one a 444 i think its called its a dream. A bit funny with the load ( it sometimes think there is too much) but its a dream.:thumbsup:

Maybe part of the reason some people might be always short of money is that they always buy cheap stuff that needs to be replaced all the time.

Nice attitude there.
Basically, people buying a £200 machine are 'asking for it'.
The fact that they may need a machine 'now' and can only stretch to £200 is seemingly irrelevant.
They should beg, borrow, steal or get into debt to get a Miele.:rolleyes:

Also, your figures for the extended guarantee on a cheap machine have been chosen to suit your argument.
I'm sure you could pay £215 for a 5 year warranty on a £245 washing machine, but you don't have to.

John Lewis, for example, are doing a £244 Zanussi with a free three year guarantee, that can be extended to 5 years for £99.
Total cost £343.00, for a machine that may just prove to be equally as reliable as your Miele.:smashin:

If you think you are guaranteed reliability with a Miele, you should do a google search.
You're no more guaranteed reliability than I am with the Audi I recently owned.
A £25k car that was hardly ever out of the garage.
My wife's £11k Renualt, however, hasn't even blown a bulb in three years.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom