Washer Dryer Advice: Miele for £1300? Bosch for £949?

pastrybloke19

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

So my washer/dryer is starting to make horrific noises and I think is about to die. To be fair, it is ancient and came with the house for free; so had like 5yrs of great value. Bosch unit, WVD model I think.

House layout/size means a washer/dryer is a must: one day will be proper middle class and have a laundry room!! 🤣

I have done lots of internet research and found a few options:

1) Miele WTR860 - Miele WTR860 Freestanding Washer Dryer, 8kg/5kg Load, 1600rpm Spin, White

£2000 down to £1300, so could be vgood value? Looks solid, lots of options but does have that dosing system, which I cant see me using. Touch screen looks fine for me, but missus won’t be very happy with that

2) miele WTD165 - Miele WTD165 Freestanding Washer Dryer, 8kg/5kg Load, 1500rpm Spin, White

£1400, lots of options and quiet too. Not sure if this is better than the above though?

3) Bosch series 6 - Bosch Serie 6 WDU28569GB Freestanding Washer Dryer, 10kg Wash/6kg Dry Load, 1400rpm Spin, Silver

£949, seems often recommended online and feature packed.

4) Samsung series 5 - Samsung Series 5 WD90TA046BX Freestanding ecobubble™ Washer Dryer, 9kg/6kg Load, 1400rpm Spin, Graphite

£629, comes with 5yr warranty which is nice and makes it very appealing, a lot cheaper than others but also not as well regarded.

A quiet machine is key for us (small house), good capacity, efficient and solid too. Current unit is Bosch which has done incredibly well but is it from back when “they made them good”?!?

I don’t need a unit right now, but would like to settle on one or two as my final options. Never bought a washer/dryer, so any advice/help or pointers would be appreciated.

cheers

Last edited:
We have the Bosch WDU28561GB which is the white version of the one you’re looking at I think.

Originally we had the WVG30462GB 7/4kg which we paid about £650 for. It developed a ticking noise after 3 months (purchased end of December 2020). The engineer discovered it was coming from a weld on the frame. Which he said he hadn’t seen before. Could’ve maybe been damaged in transit, and got worse to develop the tick after spinning.

Bosch replaced it with the WDU28561GB as the one we had purchased apparently wasn’t in production anymore. Which I was happy with, as its higher priced machine, bigger load capacity and extra features. I think the 10/6kg capacity is better even though it’s just 2 of us, for heavy towels etc.

Both of them are/were super quiet. When washing its nearly inaudible, only really on the 1400 spin it’s a bit louder. Not bothersome though

You can extend the Bosch warranty for 5 years for about £80 within 30 days.

When we went to look at machines they all felt cheap except for the the Bosch ones. The door hinges flexed, door catches sounded cheap and hollow, horrible cheap loose dials. Bosch were the only ones that felt solid and made nice solid clunks. Can’t comment on Miele though, don’t think there was any.

To be honest I can't image every paying over a grand for a wash/dryer. I had many Bosch washing machines, which when we had the family lasted around 5-6 years before needing replacing. We use 2-3 function and the rest of the buttons never get used. I would if possible get a separate dryer.

The last machine we purchased was an LG in 2017 which is still going strong and came with 5years warranty. One neat feature is that it weighs the loads before washing that I am sure save the bearing for longer life. We will for sure be purchasing LG appliances again.

We have the Bosch WDU28561GB which is the white version of the one you’re looking at I think.

Originally we had the WVG30462GB 7/4kg which we paid about £650 for. It developed a ticking noise after 3 months (purchased end of December 2020). The engineer discovered it was coming from a weld on the frame. Which he said he hadn’t seen before. Could’ve maybe been damaged in transit, and got worse to develop the tick after spinning.

Bosch replaced it with the WDU28561GB as the one we had purchased apparently wasn’t in production anymore. Which I was happy with, as its higher priced machine, bigger load capacity and extra features. I think the 10/6kg capacity is better even though it’s just 2 of us, for heavy towels etc.

Both of them are/were super quiet. When washing its nearly inaudible, only really on the 1400 spin it’s a bit louder. Not bothersome though

You can extend the Bosch warranty for 5 years for about £80 within 30 days.

When we went to look at machines they all felt cheap except for the the Bosch ones. The door hinges flexed, door catches sounded cheap and hollow, horrible cheap loose dials. Bosch were the only ones that felt solid and made nice solid clunks. Can’t comment on Miele though, don’t think there was any.
Thanks for the info, useful to see about the Bosch and looks like a good choice.

To be honest I can't image every paying over a grand for a wash/dryer. I had many Bosch washing machines, which when we had the family lasted around 5-6 years before needing replacing. We use 2-3 function and the rest of the buttons never get used. I would if possible get a separate dryer.

The last machine we purchased was an LG in 2017 which is still going strong and came with 5years warranty. One neat feature is that it weighs the loads before washing that I am sure save the bearing for longer life. We will for sure be purchasing LG appliances again.
I would rather not as well, but Miele seem very well regarded and wondered with the £700 saving it was worth it. Would like two separate units but simply not space: barely got space for one!

looks to me like the Bosch is a the fav, unless someone says something amazing about the Miele....!?!

Can only comment on Miele separates . Had washing machine for 22 years before replacing it with Miele twin dos model came with one year supply of liquids which lasted me 2 years .This cost £850 on a deal . Had Miele dryer for 21 years before placing it with Miele dryer . Could have had a new drying element fitted but cost was nearly £300 and new dryer was £650 Both new units had for four years now and both whisper quiet . Yes you pay more but not having to shop for white goods every four or five years a real bonus .

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been online for several days.

I have a Bosch WVT1260 Exxcel washer/dryer that I bought in June 2007 for £379 after my Ariston washer/dryer threw in the towel after 20 years use. The Bosch was a Which? Best Buy at the time and still works just as well as it did when new although I am very careful with it and clean it scrupulously after each wash.

If it's any help I looked at the Which? washer/dryer reviews and the £844 Bosch WDU28560GB with a 10kg washing/6kg drying capacity is a Best Buy with 75%. They say it's just as good washing as it is drying, washing is described as excellent and drying as fantastic. It was the highest scoring washer/dryer of all 31 machines tested.

They haven't tested the Bosch model you linked to. For info do not consider the Bosch WVG30462GB as Which say it's truly terrible at washing cottons. It only scored 46%.

Can only comment on Miele separates . Had washing machine for 22 years before replacing it with Miele twin dos model came with one year supply of liquids which lasted me 2 years .This cost £850 on a deal . Had Miele dryer for 21 years before placing it with Miele dryer . Could have had a new drying element fitted but cost was nearly £300 and new dryer was £650 Both new units had for four years now and both whisper quiet . Yes you pay more but not having to shop for white goods every four or five years a real bonus .
Thanks for the info; if I could have separate, I think Miele would be more tempting, but as it is struggling to look much beyond the Bosch. Maybe when I can upgrade to a Utility room.
Sorry for the late reply as I haven't been online for several days.

I have a Bosch WVT1260 Exxcel washer/dryer that I bought in June 2007 for £379 after my Ariston washer/dryer threw in the towel after 20 years use. The Bosch was a Which? Best Buy at the time and still works just as well as it did when new although I am very careful with it and clean it scrupulously after each wash.

If it's any help I looked at the Which? washer/dryer reviews and the £844 Bosch WDU28560GB with a 10kg washing/6kg drying capacity is a Best Buy with 75%. They say it's just as good washing as it is drying, washing is described as excellent and drying as fantastic. It was the highest scoring washer/dryer of all 31 machines tested.

They haven't tested the Bosch model you linked to. For info do not consider the Bosch WVG30462GB as Which say it's truly terrible at washing cottons. It only scored 46%.
Thanks for taking the time to reply!
Very useful to see the Which? Scores, I am leaning towards the Bosch unit (guessing digit difference is colour/minor), so will keep an eye on prices. If I see if anyone offers a free extended warranty; like the Sammy, then I think I might just pounce.

Ive got a 25 year old Bosch washing machine, still purring. When we bought we were told don't buy the features you don't need , buy in the highest range but the lowest features as there's more to go wrong. Best advice ive ever had!

We got a Bosch washer/dryer because we get a corporate discount of the brands (unfortunately not Gaggenau). Its an improvement over the older devices in our previous rentals but is fairly noisy.

We've since which discovered Miele when replacing our ovens (who we also get a corporate discount on plus AmEx have a 10% cash back offer at the mo). Their price is difficult to swallow but there is no argument with their performance.

Ive got a 25 year old Bosch washing machine, still purring. When we bought we were told don't buy the features you don't need , buy in the highest range but the lowest features as there's more to go wrong. Best advice ive ever had!

We got a Bosch washer/dryer because we get a corporate discount of the brands (unfortunately not Gaggenau). Its an improvement over the older devices in our previous rentals but is fairly noisy.

We've since which discovered Miele when replacing our ovens (who we also get a corporate discount on plus AmEx have a 10% cash back offer at the mo). Their price is difficult to swallow but there is no argument with their performance.
Thanks for the advice/your experiences, I think I will go for the Bosch, just need to try and blag a 5yr warranty... :D

What about AEG ??

9kg here for £769.
I dont have a washer dryer but have a 10kg washer and its still silent 5 years on.

Never had an AEG unit, has it been reliable/anything to note?
Its been bomb proof. We have a 10kg drum and its great. I've never had an issue and never had to put anything back in for another wash.

Mine also does some steam stuff but I dunno what thats for.

Have you looked at the motor brushes on your current one (if it has them). They can make quite horrible noises when they wear down as they start sparking but can be easy and cheap to replace.

I'd go for something with a 5 year warranty. I wouldn't worry about all the features they have either, our has about 15 different programmes but we've only ever used the 40 degree cotton wash.

Have you considered Liebherr.. Made in the same factory as Meile but cheaper.

Have you looked at the motor brushes on your current one (if it has them). They can make quite horrible noises when they wear down as they start sparking but can be easy and cheap to replace.

I'd go for something with a 5 year warranty. I wouldn't worry about all the features they have either, our has about 15 different programmes but we've only ever used the 40 degree cotton wash.
I haven’t and you could be right, just not sure I can handle the hassle and esp for such an old unit. Maybe I will give my washing machine guy a bell and see what he says....

Have you considered Liebherr.. Made in the same factory as Meile but cheaper.
I haven’t but will take a look: the Meile discounted one has sold out, so just left with list priced ones. And no cracking deals seem to be coming up either....

Thanks for all the thoughts and advice on this; went to see them in situ, and decided the robust and extra quiet Miele was worth it- well I hope it was anyway.

had it a few days now; need to get used to the programmes, but very quiet and so far so good.

If anyone else is looking, I don’t think there was much at all between the Miele and Bosch.
Cheers

I went over to my mum and dad's house today and noticed they have a Miele. I ask how long they had it and how much. They bought it for £400 (rrp was £500 but they got a good deal) in the 90s.. They can't remember the year but it's over 25 years old and it's still going strong.

I'll probably last another 25 years.

They use it every day!

In today's money it's probably £1200-£1400..well worth it.

The problem with cheaper machines is they use brushed motors. Meile use brushless which lasts so much longer and is more efficient.

I went over to my mum and dad's house today and noticed they have a Miele. I ask how long they had it and how much. They bought it for £400 (rrp was £500 but they got a good deal) in the 90s.. They can't remember the year but it's over 25 years old and it's still going strong.

I'll probably last another 25 years.

They use it every day!

In today's money it's probably £1200-£1400..well worth it.

The problem with cheaper machines is they use brushed motors. Meile use brushless which lasts so much longer and is more efficient.
Well that’s my hope; 25yrs use would be reasonable I suppose!! 🤣

Miele app looks crap so far, almost pointless and buggy but apparently a big fix/update is coming.

App on a washing machine?

whats wrong with physical buttons and dials.
Well it of course has buttons/dials, but I figured it would have some cool features/tips/etc via the app. Turns out no, just seems to be a way to push you towards ordering overly priced detergent from Miele……

App on a washing machine!

what's wrong with physical buttons and dials?

Yes, why does everything have to be "smart" these days?

I've just bought a Bosch Tumble Dryer and the advertising blurb says:

"Load the machine, close the door and then switch on from the comfort of your sofa."

Well, if I'm standing in front of the machine to load it, I'm obviously going to press the start button! :facepalm:

They mean "Load the machine, close the door, don't turn it on just yet, walk to the living room, sit down and then switch on from the comfort of your sofa."

Miele have an outlet, maybe worth a look.
Thanks for the link, would have been tempting but got a good deal and used a voucher too.

Feedback so far; extremely quiet, cleans and drys very well: seems to take longer than the old Bosch unit, but then the old one had half the capacity, so no real surprise there.

Otherwise the true test will be several years down the line, fingers crossed.

Now need to find a fridge freezer and dishwasher…..oh the joys of adult life eh!! 🤣

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom