Washer Dryer Advice: Miele for £1300? Bosch for £949?

Deano79

I repair white goods for a living. Alhough I regularly see 15-20 year old Miele washing machines and tumble dryers, I do, also, see 4-5 year old Miele appliances with blown control boards - a repair bill costing around £650. In my experience, very few appliance engineers touch Miele appliances, which means labour charges are higher and parts prices are eye-watering. As with anything these days, nothing is built like they used to be. As for Bosch appliances, I have noticed that a lot of their newer washing machines/dishwashers are being made in Turkey (incidentally, where Beko have their factories). I own a Beko washing machine, which has been problem-free for 8 years. If I had to buy a washer/dryer, my money would be going on an AEG machine.

Deano79

I went over to my mum and dad's house today and noticed they have a Miele. I ask how long they had it and how much. They bought it for £400 (rrp was £500 but they got a good deal) in the 90s.. They can't remember the year but it's over 25 years old and it's still going strong.

I'll probably last another 25 years.

They use it every day!

In today's money it's probably £1200-£1400..well worth it.

The problem with cheaper machines is they use brushed motors. Meile use brushless which lasts so much longer and is more efficient.
That machine has brushes 💯 %. Although modern motors don’t tend to break, the control boards that send them signals most certainly do.

Deano79

Thanks for the link, would have been tempting but got a good deal and used a voucher too.

Feedback so far; extremely quiet, cleans and drys very well: seems to take longer than the old Bosch unit, but then the old one had half the capacity, so no real surprise there.

Otherwise the true test will be several years down the line, fingers crossed.

Now need to find a fridge freezer and dishwasher…..oh the joys of adult life eh!! 🤣
If you’re looking for a good dishwasher then check out fisher & paykel double drawer. I have one and, in my opinion, is the best on the market.

Squirty

I repair white goods for a living. Alhough I regularly see 15-20 year old Miele washing machines and tumble dryers, I do, also, see 4-5 year old Miele appliances with blown control boards - a repair bill costing around £650. In my experience, very few appliance engineers touch Miele appliances, which means labour charges are higher and parts prices are eye-watering. As with anything these days, nothing is built like they used to be. As for Bosch appliances, I have noticed that a lot of their newer washing machines/dishwashers are being made in Turkey (incidentally, where Beko have their factories). I own a Beko washing machine, which has been problem-free for 8 years. If I had to buy a washer/dryer, my money would be going on an AEG machine.

Better that than the high range Bsh/Neff/Siemens washer dryers that I've been repairing lately, made in the good ole PRC.

Tbf the quality is ok (at best), but it's worrying to see them having stuff made in China. :(

Whilst the Beko stuff is cheap and cheerful at least it's easy and cheap to fix for the most part.

Stockpile Thomas

Distinguished Member
We had Bosch everything (washer, dryer, dishwasher) but it all broke down in a few short years so it felt like a fair wad of cash wasted.

Now I tend to buy cheap as chips stuff for about £200 or whatever then if it breaks down after just a few years I’ve had my money’s worth or expensive high quality (got a Miele dishwasher) which I’m hoping will last for ages.

Tight Git

Distinguished Member
We had Bosch everything (washer, dryer, dishwasher) but it all broke down in a few short years so it felt like a fair wad of cash wasted.

Now I tend to buy cheap as chips stuff for about £200 or whatever then if it breaks down after just a few years I’ve had my money’s worth or expensive high quality (got a Miele dishwasher) which I’m hoping will last for ages.

Sorry to hear that, but I think you've been very unlucky.

We also have Bosch everything (10 items in the kitchen alone) and have never had the slightest problem, so obviously I'm going to recommend them.

Dave Wishart

pastrybloke19

Just to add had the Miele unit for few months now, and impressed: solid, quiet and does a good job. Would have liked to got a longer warranty for free, but shortages means deals were few and far between.

So far, so good.

BobBob21

If the OP or anyone (in the UK) is after a Miele, there is the Outlet Store. I just ordered one for SWMBO with a £450 discount.

The link to the price list is here:-

You’ll need to check regularly though given the turnover.

Without too much effort you will find there is 20% corporate discount available on Miele direct from them (no longer useable on the Outlet) and there is minimal (no) verification to your entitlement. It used to be useable on the grade A Outlet so we stocked up early with ovens, warming draws etc but they'd changed the rules when we went back

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom