Washed up on the beach.

Liquid101

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
While walking off the Christmas excess on a local beach, we stumbled across this:

image_zpsj2fmrtfz.jpeg

A beached Minke Whale - turned up dead on Christmas Day with some fairly large chunks missing. Included my son for scale.thought it was interesting enough to share.

I was reading about this earlier.

They did say it can represent a health hazard so I'd be careful around it

Things like this make me sad for some reason..:(

I was reading about this earlier.
They did say it can represent a health hazard so I'd be careful around it

Yes - there was big biohazard sign on it. I didn't get too close. It smelled pretty bad if you were down wind. I don't envy the poor sods who have to remove it. If they leave it much longer it'll just break apart.

Yes - it was a sad sight.

However, I thought it was a good idea to take the children to see it. It's not every day you get to see a whale up close, and I thought they should know that we share the sea with other animals and our reckless behaviour can have consequences.

Yes - there was big biohazard sign on it. I didn't get too close. It smelled pretty bad if you were down wind. I don't envy the poor sods who have to remove it. If they leave it much longer it'll just break apart.
Get closer son! I need you in the shot for scale. That's it, closer... :rotfl:

I've seen a dead cow washed up on the coast once, it was quite a while ago, can't remember if it was in the 80's or 90's somewhere in anglesey.

Yes - it was a sad sight.

However, I thought it was a good idea to take the children to see it. It's not every day you get to see a whale up close, and I thought they should know that we share the sea with other animals and our reckless behaviour can have consequences.

I hope you also said it might have died of old age and it might not be our fault :)

Ynyslas, go there quite often in the summer.
maybe they will blow it up! I'm sure I've seen a video of that some where!

My dad found seven packs on an early strole on the beach in the Torquay area , the police confiscated all of them I'm afraid :).

I thought of linking it when I saw this thread, but thought better of it.

I doubt they will attempt that, it didn't end well.

I used to live the other side of the estuary, its strange bit if coast line, all manner if things get washed up, a race yacht that sank of the coast of Canada spent couple a weeks in almost the same spot, a lad at school a few years below, found a human hand a few miles north! And sea mines galore. I would have put my money on it being a Orca, as they often spotted in the the bay. Just glad my dogs did not come across it, they love rotten carcass.

It is a sad sight. Last winter the body of a harbour porpoise washed up on Oxwich in the Gower and they just dug a deep hole and buried it. I've never seen a whale in the wild although there are plenty of dolphins and porpoises to be seen off the South Wales coast. In the long hot summer of 1976 we were fishing in the middle of Caldy Sound off Tenby when we got very very close to a basking shark which was longer than the boat we were on. Skipper cut the engine and we were hanging over the side getting finger tips to this beautiful animal, doing that today would probably land him up in court.

I believe the waters off Anglesey are rich in aquatic mammal life.

They should blow it up. Just don't stand too close. If you've seen the video you will know what I'm on about ;)

They should blow it up. Just don't stand too close. If you've seen the video you will know what I'm on about ;)
A Family Guy moment?

I believe the waters off Anglesey are rich in aquatic mammal life.

You regularly see dolphins jumping off the coast of Aberystwyth. They come in quite close to the shore - especially if there are people surfing or kayaking"

Better than finding out some asshole killed it which would make you mad rather than sad.

One can only assume it was the way of the sea.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom