Washed out HD picture

Nickverwood

Standard Member
Has HD installed last Friday. Amstrad box. Generally very impressed, but I can't help but feel that on many programmes the picture seems almost "foggy". Watching the football on Wednesday evening, at first I thought the ground must be full of smoke or mist, but checked on old CRT set elsewhere in the house and picture was perfectly clear.

I've got the box linked with my Panny PZ800 with HDMI and have spent ages fiddling with contract/brightness/colour etc. on the TV but still have this underlying niggle. Picture settings on Sky box are ineffective.

Any suggestions anyone?

6022tivo

Has HD installed last Friday. Amstrad box. Generally very impressed, but I can't help but feel that on many programmes the picture seems almost "foggy". Watching the football on Wednesday evening, at first I thought the ground must be full of smoke or mist, but checked on old CRT set elsewhere in the house and picture was perfectly clear.

I've got the box linked with my Panny PZ800 with HDMI and have spent ages fiddling with contract/brightness/colour etc. on the TV but still have this underlying niggle. Picture settings on Sky box are ineffective.

Any suggestions anyone?

It is a fault with all amstrad boxes that the contrast can not be altered, well it can, but makes no difference.

Also most users who have had the amstrad as well as others boxes, report poor SD quality on the amstrad. Best to have replaced asap, as it is new.

robbster

Ive got the samsung box and caught the repeat of wednesdays match on eurosport hd. Noticed the camera seemed foggy also so think it was due to problems at their end as all other programmes seem fine :)

It is a fault with all amstrad boxes that the contrast can not be altered, well it can, but makes no difference.

Also most users who have had the amstrad as well as others boxes, report poor SD quality on the amstrad. Best to have replaced asap, as it is new.

+1

Amstrad sky hd boxes are no less reliable than the other but do give by far the worst picture... complain!

Silver Serpent

Any suggestions anyone?

The contrast setting on the receiver is stuck on HIGH and that is the cause of your problem.

White is being clipped and there is nothing you can do at your display end to correct it. SD material is going to look awful because of this and although HD material will stand out like a shiny penny in the carribean sun, it's not how it's meant to look.

Hopefully it will be corrected with the EPG upgrade, hence giving you a choice of Medium or Low contrast, but as it stands, when stuck on HIGH, the picture is nuked.

The Amstrad boxes cannot be judged properly for picture quality until the contrast setting on the receiver is working correctly, as HIGH simply isn't an option for any make of HD box.

Last edited:

kenedin

..... Watching the football on Wednesday evening, at first I thought the ground must be full of smoke or mist, but checked on old CRT set elsewhere in the house and picture was perfectly clear.

I've got the box linked with my Panny PZ800 with HDMI and have spent ages fiddling with contract/brightness/colour etc. on the TV

Don't waste your time adjusting settings on some of these Sky HD football games. Most are perfectly OK, but you do get the occasional one that looks slightly washed out, and it should not be taken as a yardstick of HD. The overwhelming majority of live sports coverage on Sky HD is superbo, just let down occasionally by matches like CL Final on Wednesday. I think a lot has to do with the variable sunlight/shadow in the stadium playing havoc with contrast on a fast-moving game.

ruggybuckle

Standard Member
I have just had my Pace swapped for an Amstrad and the SD picture is definitely a little softer than the Pace's, i would not say it is bad enough to demand a new box though :). I' m now so used to watching HD that i think all SD looks like Vaseline TV.

As for the HD picture on the Amstrad, i'd say it is on a par with the Pace.

I have noticed on my Amstrad, that if you do adjust the contrast through the scart connection, the difference in the low, medium and high setting is a lot more subtle than the Pace's.
Also you have to set the scart control to ON for it to send RGB through the scart.

Through HDMI , as you say the contrast setting has no effect, but i would not say it is stuck on the high setting as the HDMI picture is not too bright and washed out....It seems like some batches of Amstrads are fixed on too high a contrast and others are fine.

Hopefully for those having problems with the high contrast, it will be sorted with the new EPG.

btw. Hi to everyone in this forum, First timer here! :thumbsup:

Jaycee Dove

The contrast setting on the Pace was absurdly delineated between two extremes (Coal Mine and Nuclear Explosion I call them) and medium - which was fine.

However, that is no longer true as all Pace boxes now have the new EPG and the software fixes the contrast issue to give three proper levels much as on the Thomson and Samsung.

As they have been able to do this I would imagine it must be pretty certain that the Amstrad contrast settings will be tweaked when these boxes get the new EPG, presumably in June.

Silver Serpent

The contrast setting on the Pace was absurdly delineated between two extremes (Coal Mine and Nuclear Explosion I call them) and medium - which was fine.

However, that is no longer true as all Pace boxes now have the new EPG and the software fixes the contrast issue to give three proper levels much as on the Thomson and Samsung.

As they have been able to do this I would imagine it must be pretty certain that the Amstrad contrast settings will be tweaked when these boxes get the new EPG, presumably in June.

Do the contrast levels on the Pace reflect that of the Thomson exactly, or do you feel there may slight differences between each setting?, i.e. How does Low look on the Thomson compared to Low on the Pace etc....

Jaycee Dove

As the Pace replaced the Thomson there is no direct comparison I can do.

But the Thomson and Samsung settings (we have a Samsung on multitoom) are a sensible gradation that look much the same.

The Pace now looks pretty much the same as the Samsung and all three are usable - but I always use medium on both boxes anyhow and that does not seem to have altered.

It may have done - though - as a number of people (myself included) have commented that the SD pictures on the Pace appear improved after getting the new EPG last week.

choddo2006

Distinguished Member
I thought the game on Wednesday looked washed out from some cameras.

I have a Thomson. I put it down to bright floodlights shining on the Rome smog.

airjaff

As the Pace replaced the Thomson there is no direct comparison I can do.

But the Thomson and Samsung settings (we have a Samsung on multitoom) are a sensible gradation that look much the same.

The Pace now looks pretty much the same as the Samsung and all three are usable - but I always use medium on both boxes anyhow and that does not seem to have altered.

It may have done - though - as a number of people (myself included) have commented that the SD pictures on the Pace appear improved after getting the new EPG last week.

The sd looks worse on my pace now!

Jaycee Dove

The sd looks worse on my pace now!

Interesting.

There is a thread debating this over on Digital Spy and those who say it has improved appear to much outnumber those who say it has got worse.

Might be TV specific or depend on your other settings maybe?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: REL T/9x Subwoofer + Bowers & Wilkins PI7 Reviews, AV Shows in a Pandemic and more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom