Was the VM lady telling the truth?

Discussion in 'Cable TV & Virgin Media TV' started by ensyed, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I am moving to a new address in central london. VM told me I can get 20MB download speeds. She said unlike Sky I will see 20MB not upto 20MB

I dont download much at all. Maybe 10Gig a Week. I wont be capped... Does this mean I will actually see the 20MB speed all the time?

If I sign up and dont see these speeds can I cancel within a 2wks or a month?

I will keep Sky bc I like my HD and have already paid for the boxes etc but my phone line is also open.
    Is VM Phone any good? I want the 400min anywhere in the world plan bc I never call locally only international. I use my cell for domestic calls.

THX

2. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Quite a few misunderstandings there.

Just to clarify the main difference between cable and DSL. With cable, you are guaranteed to get the sync speed that you are paying for. So if you are on the 20Meg service, your connection will be synced at 20Meg. With DSL, the sync speed is variable depending on the distance from the exchange and the quality of the cabling.

What this does not guarantee though is that you will be able to download at 20Meg all the time. There are many factors - usually outside of VM's control - that will of course prevent this.

I use GigaNews and get constant 20Meg - it has never once in all the time I have had it failed to deliver on that.

There is a thing called STM (Subscriber Traffic Management) which drops your speed to 5Meg if you download too much during a certain window but it is easily avoided.

See here

Steve

3. ensyed

ensyed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Is Giganews an ISP?

Ok so I should be at 20Mb since I dont download anything. I just surf.
    I dont like Youtube. I occasionally buy stuff from itunes (tv shows) which can easily be scheduled for overnight download.

For example I will buy a season of stargate and the entire thing will download in one night. I wont download anything for a 10 days while I watch it.
    I may occasionally watch my slingbox located overseas but frankly streaming one episode of something in one evening is hardly a data hog.

This should mean no capping and 20MB ish. Frankly I am coming from 3Mb with Sky so even 10Mb will be heaven for me.

4. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,298
    Giganews is a usenet provider (the best in my opinion).

If you're not doing a lot of downloading, you will probably be fine with the 10Mbit service.

Steve