• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Was on the verge of buying a Roku XS but may need alternatives ...

Shiskine

Standard Member
I've just read that the Roku XS won't allow me to browse the files and folders on my NAS. Is this correct? If so, a bit of a show stopper.

I'm just looking for a cheap streamer to connect to a small (26"ish) bedroom TV so picture quality not critical. That said, if it handles 1080p it could be used with another telly in the future. I have WiFi but will probably look to connect via some 500mbps TP Link homeplugs.

I have a PS3 and were its replacement imminent, I'd happily relegate it to the bedroom to act as a streamer. However, doubt I can wait for Sony and the PS4 ... ;)

What are my cheap (sub £100) and cheerful streaming options?

awink1

Distinguished Member
WDTV Live SMP

Does everything you want it to, has wifi, a decent GUI, a good solid Sigma processor and hood online content too. It can be had at around £75-£80 check Amazon.

awink1

Distinguished Member
Good, not hood :)

next010

Distinguished Member
Well Roku can if your NAS supports running Plex media server, if you got anything from Synology, QNAP, Netgear, Asustor that could work.

But Roku isnt really meant for playing back content on a NAS to begin with it's a poor choice for that task, as awink1 says WDTV Live is what your looking for.

awink1

Distinguished Member

jerryq7777

Not bothered about that can use the PS3 or Sky box.
One of the reasons i sold the WDTV Live Hub was it ground to a halt every few months, needing a restore to factory settings to get things back to normal.Maybe the WDTV Live is better than the hub but i fancied a change.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom