Was misrepresented into buying a Three Locked iPhone 7plus

tedhughes

Novice Member
Reaction score
I bought a iPhone 7plus off Shpock, the guy seemed really genuine and said that it was unlocked. When I got home i put in an O2 sim and EE sim, I got the message that that the Sim was not recognised. I had the IMEI number checked and it's locked to Three, I ordered a Three sim and it works. So I've spoken to Three and they say they don't network locked their phones, but yet this phone is locked to Three. How is this possible?

Can't you get it unlocked? Did you speak to Three on the phone or in one of their shops?

I'm not really sure that was a scam, the phone works but just needs unlocking.

Now if you had tried it and found the phone had been networked blocked as it had been reported stolen and you essentially have a colourful brick, then I can understand the scam worry.

I think it must be network blocked, because I can use a Three sim card in it and it's fine. Does this mean that the phone is fixed to Three forever?

Thread title changed as potentially defamatory words are not allowed under the site rules unless there is documented evidence

Three network has not locked handsets since 2014 so the seller likely relied upon this in good faith. Source:

This page also states

"If you have an iPhone, try connecting it to a computer and opening iTunes. Usually you can unlock it straight away.

Otherwise, to unlock a phone or Mobile Broadband device from Three to use it with a SIM from another network, you’ll need to fill in the form below.
"

Last edited:
The above does not work I've tried this many times, which leads me to beieve that it's actually network blocked as Greg suggested.

Did the seller tell you where it was purchased from originally?
Carphone Warehouse used to sell phones that were 'SIM Free'. These phones had no network lock at time of purchase, but they locked to the network of the first SIM card that was inserted into the device.
These devices could then be purchased without a contract and were slightly cheaper than buying unlocked from Apple directly.

He said it was his and it was unlocked, gave me a box, which now that I've inspected the serial number do not match

So it could be an insurance replacement or refurb, they can also be SIM free rather than unlocked.
It shouldn't be difficult to get it unlocked though.

I've done a check using checkmend.com and it's all clear, not stolen or anything but yet, it's still blocked/locked to three. But three don;t network lock their phones. I'm so confused.

Probably as described above - it was ‘sim free’ (in that you could choose to use any network initially) & then it locked to the network of the first SIM card that was inserted.
How it became locked doesn’t really matter anyway.

Just fill in the form on post#4.
Seems like you just need the IMEI & stick the Three SIM card (for the ‘current phone number’) you have inside it until it’s unlocked.

(Vague recollection) Wasn't there a "thing" with Apple phones (only) that if bought from certain stores they were initially open to all networks, but as soon as they were used with any one network, they locked themselves to that network?

I have had this before, bought from CPW sim free and locked to my 3 SIM card on insertion.

3 then unlocked it for me free of charge after I explained what had happened.

(Vague recollection) Wasn't there a "thing" with Apple phones (only) that if bought from certain stores they were initially open to all networks, but as soon as they were used with any one network, they locked themselves to that network?

Yes, CPW used to sim lock to first sim, it changed in the year the 7 came out iirc, so it's possible the phone has sim locked itself.

The OP can check the status of the lock for 99p via eBay.

for example:

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
If so, then we might forgive the seller for perhaps being unaware of this "feature".

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom