Was Marantz AV7702MK1 or 2, Now AV7702MK2 Or Yamaha CXA 5100

Cocksure

Hi
Its been 4 years since i last updated my home cinema set up, and boy have things moved on in that time! Dolby Atmos etc has really caught me by surprise, so please forgive me if any of the following have stupid questions in it.

Basically, with buying a second Power Amp, Ceiling Speakers, cables etc, I'm skint with no money left over for a new processor :(

Now i have been offered a brand new AV7702MK1 for £900 that i would be happy to get on buy now pay later or i could wait a few months and save up the extra for the MK2 (£800 is about the limit i like to do on credit).

Either processor would be a hell of an upgrade from my Rotel RSP 1570 which has served me well, but i always thought was lacking in stereo, and both would give me room correction, which with the exception of my Velodyne SMS-1 for the sub-woofer I've never had before, and of course the all important Dolby Atmos :clap:

The question is, is the MK2 worth the extra wait time, or do i go for the MK1 now and expect in a few years i would need to upgraded, when things have settled down again.

I dont have a 4K projector and would expect it to be many years until i can afford one, so the lack of hmdi 2.2 is not really an issue for me, but the lack of support for DTS X & Auro 3d on the MK1 does make me wonder. Personally i don't think DTS X will be that big, but as Bollywood uses Auro 3D, i can see that catching on. Also I believe the Stereo is better on the MK2, but is it worth the extra?

My biggest concern is that i have read reports of a hissing noise from some speakers with the MK1, has this been address with the MK2.

As you can see, i'm really torn between them, so any advice would be really helpful :smashin:

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Personally i don't think DTS X will be that big, but as Bollywood uses Auro 3D, i can see that catching on. Also I believe the Stereo is better on the MK2, but is it worth the extra?

My biggest concern is that i have read reports of a hissing noise from some speakers with the MK1, has this been address with the MK2.

As you can see, i'm really torn between them, so any advice would be really helpful :smashin:

I had the same dilemma and decided to future proof was worth the extra outlay if something unexpected was to happen. I mean, if my TV packed up in a years time and I decided to go down the 4K route, I'd be stuck with limitations within the processor.

DTS has always been late to the game but it was always worth the wait, right back to the Laserdisk days, a DTS edition was special, DVD had up to 1.5mbs DTS that had collectors importing disks from the US or Japan just to have a higher bitrate and possibly a different sound mix. Blu-ray DTSHDMA became pretty mainstream after being late to the game again IIRC.. I fully expect DTSX to either take over and become mainstream or be the niche sought after import version. Hopefully it will be the former as it's cheaper :)

MadScientist

Unless the extra cash is a major issue, I think the MkII is a no-brainer. You will also get more if you ever decide to sell.

As well as DTS:X encoded discs, you also have to consider what DTS:X could do with existing DTS-HD sound tracks. Atmos provides a 'surround mode' for these which brings into play the ceiling speakers to good effect. Similarly, DTS:X will provde a similar algorithm (Neural:X, I believe it's called) which may possibly be even better - who knows. I would want that option, however.

Last edited:

stevos

Distinguished Member
I was under the impression that Atmos could also upmix DTS-HD to include ceiling channels.

However, i would agree that waiting and including all the standards is a lot better, considering that it is unlikely anything will change again for many years.

MadScientist

I was under the impression that Atmos could also upmix DTS-HD to include ceiling channels.

Yes, it does, but I'm hoping that DTS:X may do it differently\better

Cocksure

Hi, many thanks for all your replies :thumbsup:

Thinking on things you have said i cant find any argument against the fact that it is better to wait a few months and get something that will last 3 to 4 years, then get something now and only get a year or two out of it with little revalue if i sell.

A special thanks to paulst10 :hiya: for the dts history as this really made me stop and think.

stevos

Distinguished Member
I think it will heavily depend on which of the formats becomes the defacto standard for UHD BD. Dolby was pretty much the standard for DVD and DTS for BD, so your guess is as good as mine.

If I was to take a punt I would bet on atmos, since dolby is also heavily involved in the UHD visual standards, and I suspect they will do a deal for visual and audio, or they will try if they are not stupid. Whether either succeeds is far from decided, as it is a niche of a nice of a niche. Completely offtopic, but I wonder which is better atmos/dts-x compressed audio (i.e. what we are going to get from streaming services) or DTS-HD MA 7.1

However as you said, far better to not gamble and get both, probably the next sound format upgrade will be another 10 years away.

Last edited:

sounddog

Now i have been offered a brand new AV7702MK1 for £900 that i would be happy to get on buy now pay later or i could wait a few months and save up the extra for the MK2 (£800 is about the limit i like to do on credit).
Wait, of course it's your own decision but if you are on a "buy now pay later" situation then you probably should wait and see how DTS:X vs Atmos plays out.

Cocksure

....................................... Dolby was pretty much the standard for DVD and DTS for BD, so your guess is as good as mine.

If I was to take a punt I would bet on atmos, ..................

That is how i reckon things will things will pan out as well, though i also think as a result of UHD it will become the new main standard on BD, already i have noticed a increase in the number of new BD disc that are using Dolby TrueHD

Cocksure

Wait, of course it's your own decision but if you are on a "buy now pay later" situation then you probably should wait and see how DTS:X vs Atmos plays out.

It will be a long wait, Christmas this month, inland revenue next............:(

stevos

Distinguished Member
Bright side, Christmas sales.

You can cross your fingers for some Janaury discounted 7702mk2.

Cocksure

Well guys, now that i have decided to go for the newer model (and looking into different finance options :eek:), the inevitable has happened, and I'm now wondering if i should maybe save up for a cxa5100 instead :rotfl:

Can anyone help me out on this?

Lots of sites say the AV8802a is better than the CXA5100 (but then i would expect it to be!) No one really seems to have compared it to the AV7702MK2 though.

PS £2500 IS my absolute tops!!!!!

indus

Distinguished Member
Well guys, now that i have decided to go for the newer model (and looking into different finance options :eek:), the inevitable has happened, and I'm now wondering if i should maybe save up for a cxa5100 instead :rotfl:

Lots of sites say the AV8802a is better than the CXA5100 (but then i would expect it to be!) No one really seems to have compared it to the AV7702MK2 though.

Which speakers do you have?

Cocksure

PMC FB1+ for the L/R, Dynaudio audience 122c for centre, backs are Dynaudio audience 62 & 42w

All powered (bar the 42w) by my lovely lovely Bryston 9BSST

Last edited:

invu2day

If looking for the cxa5100 on 0% finance you could look at audiovisualonline

Cocksure

Thanks for that, if i do decided on the CXA5100 i will give them a ring as that is a big plus point.

At the moment I keep on switching between the two, the biggest selling point with the Yamaha is that it decodes dolby digital plus, and that the only issue i have come across is hdcp handshakes with some displays

Need to read though the owners thread on the AV7702MK2 next

indus

Distinguished Member
I too considered the Yamaha as its had good reviews, I've never heard it though.

My rationale for buying the 7702mk2 was as follows. I heard a Denon 5200 at Epic HC (with ext power amp) and the demo facility uses my exact speakers and sub. The sound was truly epic, reference quality.

He was however using Dirac.

My conclusion was that (perhaps with the help of Dirac) even a mid level modern day avr, with the right speakers, amp and sub can sound reference quality.

My assumption was that my 7702 would sound at least as good as the 5200 but hopefully a tad better.

With the £700 I saved over the price of the Yamaha I have bought myself a dirac 88a. It seems to be accepted wisdom that the dirac is the best eq system out there for mere mortals like me.

XT32 is very inconsistent and doesn't allow changes and YPAO seems to get some criticism for its bass control.

Sorry to bore you with that ramble but I thought you might be interested in why I decided to go for the 7702mk2

You might also want to consider the Arcam 550 (and just use it mainly as a processor) if your budget extends to £2500.

Cocksure

Hi Indus
no you didn't ramble, and thank you for the post it helps a lot :), understanding someone else's workings help me to make up mine.

A few hours back my heart was saying Yamaha and the brain Marantz, and in all honesty i was heavily leaning towards the Yamaha, then i spoke to Allen at Ideal AV.......................;)

Having dealt with Allen twice before, his opinion holds a lot of weight for me, plus he is the only person i know who has personally used both products.

His personal opinion was that the Marantz is the better of the two TV/Film wise, though both are very very good and i would be very happy with either. He also put my mind at rest with possible issues i thought their might be with the Marantz. From what i have read on the two units, the CX-A5100 strikes me as having the better room setup system, though as you have pointed out, if i got a dirac along with the Marantz, then nothing would touch that.

Great Marantz it is then! Well not quite :( we then moved onto stereo and whilst Allen was keen to stress that he hasn't compared them stereo wise and both would be very good, he thought with Yamaha's strong connection to the music industry, it would probably have the edge. Also the Yahama does DD+ a big selling point to me with my HD DVD's.

Sure with the money i save with the Marrantz i could afford to replace my whole collection in blu-ray, However on the few i have replaced, i swear the HD DVD version sounds better! Maybe its madness, but i personally think Universal took their time with the HD DVD sound track and just did a rush job when they re released them. Right Yamaha it is then, can you check availability for me.

This is the bit that has really screwed things up for me.

Allen called me back a short time later to say that it seem Yamaha have really under estimated the sales of the CX-A5100, if i order now their is 1 unit left for the whole of GB on the shipment that is coming in at the end of Feb which has probably gone by now, so in all likelihood i would be looking at April/May. :(

Now I don't mind waiting a month or two, financially it helps, but that is a hell of a wait!!!

Thanks for the heads up about the Arcam, i will take a look. Though in all honesty it would need to be very special as i have serious doubts with the Arcam build quality. When they work i like the sound a lot, but as i have had 2 units fail out of warranty, i am untrusting of them.

Now that is a Ramble :D

indus

Distinguished Member
So we are both ramblers then!:D

These decisions are always tough. Allan knows what he's talking about and is a good guide in these matters.

I don't use mine for music so that makes life a bit more straightforward for me.

Can I throw a curve ball? If you bought the 7702 (anybody would think I owned shares in Marantz:D) with the money you saved you could probably pick up a second hand dedicated 2ch stereo preamp with HT bypass.

I'm pretty sure a second hand stereo pre for £700 would out perform any of the AVPs we've been discussing.

Before I had a dedicated room I did exactly this. I used a 2ch stereo preamp with HT bypass for listening to music and my Onkyo 5507 for films.

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Also the Yahama does DD+ a big selling point to me with my HD DVD's.

Sure with the money i save with the Marrantz i could afford to replace my whole collection in blu-ray, However on the few i have replaced, i swear the HD DVD version sounds better! Maybe its madness, but i personally think Universal took their time with the HD DVD sound track and just did a rush job when they re released them. Right Yamaha it is then, can you check availability for me.

The Marantz does DD+... I'm just checking Gravity on Amazon Prime, the 7702mk2 is displaying Dolby Digital+

Cocksure

Can I throw a curve ball? If you bought the 7702 (anybody would think I owned shares in Marantz:D) with the money you saved you could probably pick up a second hand dedicated 2ch stereo preamp with HT bypass.

I'm pretty sure a second hand stereo pre for £700 would out perform any of the AVPs we've been discussing.

What a top Idea :thumbsup: I had thought of that :facepalm:

Buy the Marantz now at a lower cost which certainly helps with the finance, wait a few months for money to build up again and then add a 2nd hand stereo preamp out of the money i have saved from not buying the Yamaha or even a Dirac in the unlikely event i'm happy with the stereo.

Its win win however i look at it :)

Thank you indus :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: your a top man, the Marantz it is :)

Cocksure

The Marantz does DD+... I'm just checking Gravity on Amazon Prime, the 7702mk2 is displaying Dolby Digital+

Wow, cheers for that :), that takes care of my only outstanding concern.

With indus stereo preamp idea and your info on the DD+ i am now happy to order the Marantz

So long Yamaha, you lost a potential customer due to lack of supply planning

paulst10

Distinguished Member
Wow, cheers for that :), that takes care of my only outstanding concern.

With indus stereo preamp idea and your info on the DD+ i am now happy to order the Marantz

So long Yamaha, you lost a potential customer due to lack of supply planning

You got me watching Hot Fuzz HD DVD now :D Here's a pic of the i/o info..
DSC_0053.JPG

Cocksure

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

100% at peace now. Why the hell didn't Marantz list it in the features :mad:, if they had done that then i probably would never have started looking at the Yamaha

strongdeo

Hi there. Sorry to butt in at this late stage but I am so happy you are 100% at peace now.

I am considering the AV7702 Mk1 rather than Mk 2 because I will never get in to ceiling speakers, atmos or 4K for a while. I do want the simplicity of the Marantz compared to what I have now - oh my. Am I correct that in my situation the Mk2 would not offer any substantial benefits over the Mk1?

I am not looking for future proofing. My next step will be to move to 4K some time in the future. Not sure when.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Sonus faber unveils new flagship Arena speaker series
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Sharp showcases its upcoming 4K TV and audio line-up
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom