Was Lockdown Necessary?

acatweasel

Many people were commenting on suggestions before COVID or in the early stages actually. Read back.

People aren't looking at near 50,000 death toll and now saying the government did the wrong actions. Users of this forum for example were calling for action when the death toll was <250.

You're also ignoring the context of WHY the government are in such a difficult situation (slow inconsistent decision making despite precedents set by Italy and China on what could potentially and ended did happen).
I think you have misinterpreted my post. It is very specifically aimed at people wise after the event.
It wasn't aimed at government at all. They didn't manage the NHS response. The NHS did.
My point is that decisions had to be made. As an example the decision to "clear the decks" in hospitals.
It was absolutely the right thing to do at the time. Some people are using hindsight to say that it was the wrong thing to do, and I'm afraid I disagree.

Last edited:

iangreasby

The government is getting criticised from all sides. Most of the general public are saying the government has done a bad job, lockdown came too late and not strong enough etc. I've just read a poll on one of the other threads saying 80% of business leaders think the government has handled this badly. I bet their reasons for this opinion are completely different though, they would likely argue that lockdown was too stringent. Basically now is not the time to be in charge of the country during a crisis like this, it's a no win situation. If a general election was held tomorrow, Labour would win easily. However, I suspect Keir Starmer would privately admit to not wanting the job right now!

Ruperts slippers

Distinguished Member
The government is getting criticised from all sides. Most of the general public are saying the government has done a bad job, lockdown came too late and not strong enough etc. I've just read a poll on one of the other threads saying 80% of business leaders think the government has handled this badly. I bet their reasons for this opinion are completely different though, they would likely argue that lockdown was too stringent. Basically now is not the time to be in charge of the country during a crisis like this, it's a no win situation. If a general election was held tomorrow, Labour would win easily. However, I suspect Keir Starmer would privately admit to not wanting the job right now!
Business leaders have a right to voice concerns.
As do those concerned with deaths.

However the consequences of a lockdown and those supporting more stringent measures were obvious from the beginning.
I'm annoyed with the changing narrative by the media and social media, now the penny is beginning to drop concerning the economy.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: New TVs, Samsung Q800T Soundbar review, IFA latest, Movie and AV News, B+W Brad Pitt
Top Bottom