Was I shot at?

damo_in_sale

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I used to live in a suburb of north Manchester, some years ago, and at the time I used public transport.
The bus I caught one evening home from work went through the eastern part of Salford, where there were run down council tower blocks to the left. I was sat upstairs, on the right hand side and leaning against the window. The upstairs of the bus was empty except for myself and another man a few seats in front and on the left.
I was quite contented reading my newspaper, when all of a sudden I heard a loud BANG! After composing myself, I looked to my left, and saw a small round hole in the window opposite my seating position. The window hadn’t fractured, from memory. I looked to my right, and around six inches to a foot in front of my throat was a slightly larger hole in the window right next to me, and the glass had fractured but remained intact. There were, nonetheless a lot of small particles of glass that had fragmented and covered me.

If one were to draw a line between both holes then that line would have been horizontal, so whatever projectile was responsible must have been small, and had a lot of energy.

What projectiles can do this?

Cheers chaps,

Damo :)

You're still alive aren't you? - you no longer live there?

=> Don't worry about it.:)

No one here can possibly give you an answer without having been there and seen the whole thing.:)

I remember living in Salford and taking my chances on the buses at night. Needed balls of steel to get the bus after dark, due to the violence, and stone throwing, etc.

Scary, whatever it was - you were brave to use public transport let alone sit sit upstairs on a bus :eek:

I use the bus all the time in Manchester. Am I missing something? :confused:

I used to live in a suburb of north Manchester, some years ago, and at the time I used public transport.
The bus I caught one evening home from work went through the eastern part of Salford, where there were run down council tower blocks to the left. I was sat upstairs, on the right hand side and leaning against the window. The upstairs of the bus was empty except for myself and another man a few seats in front and on the left.
I was quite contented reading my newspaper, when all of a sudden I heard a loud BANG! After composing myself, I looked to my left, and saw a small round hole in the window opposite my seating position. The window hadn’t fractured, from memory. I looked to my right, and around six inches to a foot in front of my throat was a slightly larger hole in the window right next to me, and the glass had fractured but remained intact. There were, nonetheless a lot of small particles of glass that had fragmented and covered me.

If one were to draw a line between both holes then that line would have been horizontal, so whatever projectile was responsible must have been small, and had a lot of energy.

What projectiles can do this?

Cheers chaps,

Damo :)

hard to tell, you'd need a ballistics expert to give you a somewhat accurate assumption, you haven't ****** off any Columbian drug dealers lately have you? you could have the Jackel after you...

mjn said:
I didn't say they didn't.

Apologies then:smashin:,I obviously misinterpreted your quote.Plus I do sometimes end up defending where I live because Salford at times tends to be an easy target up here.

Aye don't worry about it people, easy mistake on my part :blush:

............. perhaps you should eit your location to "Salford" then madcyril :D

LFC_SL said:
............. perhaps you should edit your location to "Salford" then madcyril :D

You could be right there mate but I'm a Manc:thumbsup: and for me and most people I know from here Salford is a part of Manchester.Its only Salford Council that suffers from some kind delusion of grandeur and does not like being associated with Manchester as in their words 'As we are own city'.

Well, they are correct, Salford and Manchester are each a city in their own right, which both happen to be in the county of Greater Manchester......unless its changed?

Yes they are correct but the point is people still consider us all Manchester,myself included.Greater Manchester was 'born' in the 70's(I think).I have lived in Salford for 10yrs and for almost all of the that time Salford Council has tried their utmost to distance themselves from Manchester as Salford is too good for to be linked(apparently).Just winds a lot of people up.

Anyway I dont know if a bullet caused a hole in Damos bus window:D.

However, Salford is the only place i have seen a Fish n Shop with bullet proof glass at the counter :D

mjn said:
However, Salford is the only place i have seen a Fish n Shop with bullet proof glass at the counter :D

Ay your right there.Thats the one on Frederick Rd in Lower Broughton(unless you know of another one:eek:).Surprise surprise its now shut down.I've seen less secure Post Offices.

Ay your right there.Thats the one on Frederick Rd in Lower Broughton(unless you know of another one:eek:).Surprise surprise its now shut down.I've seen less secure Post Offices.

Thats the one!

There was also the petrol station, where the owner refused to replace his glass windows until they had about 6 bullet holes. He used to replace them after every bullet hole, but he was spending too much money.

Not sure about the petrol station,maybe they didnt replace the glass as often due to a shortage of glass;),bearing in mind most of the petrol stations is Manchester/Salford have had there windows shot out at some point.Thankfully things dont seem as bad nowadays(unless they dont report these things anymore).

Not sure about the petrol station,maybe they didnt replace the glass as often due to a shortage of glass;),bearing in mind most of the petrol stations is Manchester/Salford have had there windows shot out at some point.Thankfully things dont seem as bad nowadays(unless they dont report these things anymore).
I expect most of the people responsible have now signed Acceptable Behaviour Contracts.

We were on a train one day riding on the Portsmouth line and a brick hit the window we were sitting at. we were motoring too it was frightening. No just how you felt nearly, Mr original thread writer.

Lis@~~

Well many years ago I worked in forensics and more specifically the firearms unit - not "ballistics" - a bit too much US TV for that adjective in the UK!

It "could" have been a bullet but as an earlier poster said you'd had to have been there - well at least seen the evidence afterward. The main factor to consider is the what the bus windows were made of. Obviously not toughened glass or it would have shattered. Doubtful laminate because of price. Maybe simply perspex (much easier for scratching gaffitti into) in which case could be pretty much any projectile. If laminate then it would have to be pretty high velocity round and certainly jacketed. A plain lead bullet would have fragmented on impact.

The bottom line is it missed. In my experience in firearms I quickly learnt bullets that missed rarely killed.

lisa burrell said:
We were on a train one day riding on the Portsmouth line and a brick hit the window we were sitting at. we were motoring too it was frightening. No just how you felt nearly, Mr original thread writer.

Try driving them.

If a 'bullet' is fired in your general vicinity you should hear a large 'crack' and perhaps a whizzing type noise if is richochets then either the bang if close or a thump if shot from a distance. Obviously if shot at from outside the bus the would be an amount of glass on the inside of the bus and you may not hear the bang or thump. If you hear a number of 'cracks' then it would be a good idea to move from where you are currently sitting or standing unless of course if you are blindfolded and facing a firing squad!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom