1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was i ripped off?

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Saya2001, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Saya2001

Saya2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi there

I need your help on this guys.

Two weeks ago i decided get myself a reasonable qulity hifi system. I went to my local superfi and asked. My budget was £500 They demoed a marantz and a rotel system. The rotel was RCD 02 RC03 a preamp... They played Linn CD on it. The speakers were B&w 604s. There seemed to be slight hissing in the background. The trainee assistant told me it was because Rotel had avery fine Laser and it was picking the hissing sound because it was a copied CD. And i should not hear this sound at home. Anyways I decided to go for rotel as I was advised it was a better system.
    I only got the speakers yesterday from elsewhere. Having played it at 1/3rd of the volume i can clearly hear the hissing. The problem also is that it needs to be played at at least 1/2 in order to fill the room with the sound. I ended up paying a grand for this and am still feel like i was sold the wrong product.

Not sure what my rights are?

regards

2. Stereo Steve

Stereo Steve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    If you were told that the hissing would not be there at home then you were miss-sold the product. I would take it all back in it's boxes if you are not happy and tell them that you are rejecting the goods and require a full refund. Might be an idea to read up on consumer rights a bit first though so you can use the correct terminology.

Don't leave it too long though as your position will weaken over time.

3. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Most systems have a “hiss” through the speakers when you are right up close dude, this is more evident when you crank up volume form an amp when nothing is playing, this “hiss” is basically your amps electrical signature or feedback hum. Not much to worry about being truthful.

This trainee is talking total horseplops and for this reason alone you should ask for a refund if your unhappy dude its your amp (IMHO) via the speakers not a copied CD making the hiss, its within 28 days so should not be a problem, Those are pretty decent hifi components FWIW though. I think you are worried about the hiss, this hiss should only be evident close up, if you are in your seating position then it should not be heard. With nothing playing at all.

Sounds like a problem, if you are hearing hissing at 1/3 volume it could be the following :

Tweeter knackered on the B+Ws (have heard this about these speakers in the past)
    Output stage on the Amplifier, or bad Hum from a poorly shielded ground loop from the CD player into amp. Sounds like the output stage of the amp.

Looks like the Amp+Cd are the main culprits as you heard the hiss at initial demo without B+Ws in place.

Some pointers that may help, something aint right though, only wasy to be sure is to demo/borrow other kit to pinpoint what it is, ie new amp & CD with B+Ws etc.

4. Saya2001

Saya2001
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi

Thanks for the reply. The hiss is there on all tracks youlisten to. I could not pick it up first cos i listented to moby cd's and the sound his hiss within but then i tried Norah Jones etc and its is evident on all tracks at a certain volume ..around 30%. Surely thats not right.? And it is evident from a distance .
    I dont want them to be fussy though. I am taking them back tommrrow and can prove the problem but need to say the right things?