Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Warranty...

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by j.moghisi, Apr 12, 2005.

1. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey

I'm getting a Panasonic TH42PW7. It has the standard 1 years warranty...

But is this enough???? I heard that a high proportion of plasma screens go bust relatively quickly, especially with regards to burn-in and some black or green lines across the screens.

Should I fish out £360 to get a 3 year warranty (from a respected company) or even £200 (from a smaller company) when buying the screen, bearing in mind that it's gonna cost me around £1400 + Extras...?

Has anyone here with a panny had any trouble with their screen?

Also, Is now a good time to buy a PW7? Or should I wait untill after summer??

cya, cheers

2. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The 200quid warranty is by TADL. U heard of these people? if so, they any good?

3. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, no question about it, definitely get an extended warranty for a plasma (or LCD) display/TV. Fwiw, a warranty is not necessary for a CRT (tube) TV.

4. Pete58

Pete58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Its important to have an extended warranty for your plasma, i dont take warranties out for anything but i did for my Panny plasma, best decision I have taken for a long time.

5. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    why is it important to have a warranty :confused:

if you read the posts very few problems are reported and most seem to be within a few months

if the warranty is 'free' (and i use this term loosely) such as provided by john lewis fair enough but otherwise i would rely on houshold insurance to cover accidental damage :D

6. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    If you go for an extra year with TADL, via AV Sales, it's only £129 which is peanuts in comparison to the cost of the screen....after 2 years you'll be after another screen anyway.

7. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    also with major manufacturers like panasonic you can rely on their 'goodwill' towards customers

also seemed to recall another poster on a similar subject saying that given the cost of the plasma etc it should be expected to last longer than say 1 year and manufactuers cannot simply wash their hands after this time - they have to get it sorted!

apologies to the poster i have quoted - hope i got the gist of your comments correct :D

8. j.moghisi

j.moghisi
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    kk, so I definately get an extra 2 years warranty. But how long should the plasma last? If the screen is going to have any trouble, will it have it early on?

9. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    you need a crystal ball matie........basically it comes down to how you view this...is it just a screen that you will swap out in a few years time for the next latest greatest thing......or is it a major investment for you that you expect to get the full 60,000 hours out of?

10. JulianL

JulianL

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Do any (many?) places allow you to purchase the extended warranty some months after the screen or does it have to all be done at the time of initial purchase of the screen?

For many people a big plasma screen and the stuff that goes with it is a big hit on their cashflow so, at least for me, I'd like to let my credit card get over the shock and then buy the extended warranty 6 months later. I can't see why this would be a problem, so long as you did it within the manufacturer's first year warranty period. Comments?

- Julian

11. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    av sales let you do that...i just ordered mine but bought the screen in January...their site says you can arrange it up to 6 months after screen purcahse.

12. pjclark1

pjclark1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +271
    Purchase plasma with a Nationwide credit card.
    They give a second year warrenty on electrical items free of charge.
    (you have to ask them for it witin 30 days of purchase)

That's what I did.

13. jwillans

jwillans

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One of the reasons I went to Richer Sounds was that I could purchase an extended 2 years warranty for 10% of the screen price (this was £125 in my case). As far as I can see this guarantees that the plasma will have at least a lifetime of 3 years. In view of the large financial outlay, this allows me to sleep at night.

James

14. GCDB

GCDB
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Got mine with nationwide credit card and extra free 1yrs warranty through the card.I think you might have 60 days to register it.

15. AudioSlim

AudioSlim

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    You could always use the sales of goods act.
    Basically amounts to a line which says the goods must last a 'reasonable length of time'. Now for a 12 quid Iron that reasonable length of time isnt going to be more than the original 12 months warranty but for a plasma or anything else costing 2 grand or so then you've got a very very good case.
    You may have to fight for it a little by sending the odd letter to their UK HQ, but at the end of the day if you take them to court any Judge in this land will rule in your favour when you'e paid 2 grand and the thing gives up within a few years.

Saying all of that though, if you can get the free warranty from JL for 5 years then that would be the option I'ld be choosing without a doubt, but paying 300 quid for extended warranty I wouldnt

Slim

16. samjet

samjet
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    thanks for a bit more detail :D

that was the point i was making in an earlier post - but which people chose to ignore?

a regards buying warranties - you can buy at any time but the older the goods the higher the price - and you can pretty much buy a warranty for anything!!

my friends car was not selling so he bought a minimal but transferable warranty and sold it next day :D

17. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    doh! wish I hadn't paid for my extra year now *lol*

18. u32t5645

u32t5645

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Plasma and LCD panels are fragile in and of themselves. Many manufacturers of plasms displays have not figured out how to ship just the panel. If for any reason a panel needs to be replaced, the manf ships an entire, assembled TV/display to the repair center to be cannibalized. Some repair centers won’t invest the time to swap panels so they just give you a whole new TV/display if the manf sent the same model. Otherwise they swap the panel and toss out the rest of that new TV they didn’t use.

The same plasma panel is used in different models of displays by competing manufactures. In some cases it is less expensive to acquire a competitor’s display and take the plasma panel out of it to repair your TV/display. Some repair manuals actually state in them to buy a specific competitor’s display and take the panel out it.

That gives you some idea of the cost involved in replacing the plasma panel. You don’t want to be responsible for that cost should it ever arise.

Btw, in the States we can buy an extended warranty for a plasma TV as long as there is 90-days remaining on the manf's warranty. No difference in price. We don't let identical coverage overlap so the 3rd party warranty doesn't kick in until the manf’s warranty expires.

19. Daddy k

Daddy k

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,345
    the lg rz 42px11 comes with 2 year manufactures warranty out of the box!

20. Pete58

Pete58

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i must be reading different posts.... however the general concensus is that an item of equipment if its going to fail it will be in the first few weeks, this happened to my screen in the first 10 weeks. A replacement was given only to fail after 14 months, screen repaired under warranty. OK if you can get a freebie warr: or have the freedom to obtain one at a later date

21. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +477
    concensus would appear to be wrong though if yours failed after 14 months...in reality they could fail at any time for a whole variety of reasons, though any major fault is likely to become apparent sooner rather than later

22. jrl

jrl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    any one got a web adress or contact details for a cheap extended warranty company?
    warranty EX is not so cheap for plasmas

23. fatherted

fatherted
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Hello all

TADL Assist ( who have a banner add on the Forums) offer a range of warranties from +1 through to +3 years on up to 47", 50" and 60" Displays; the pricing varies depending on the warranty period required and size of the Display..

You can purchase the warranties direct or from retailers like myself and others who advertise on the Forums.

The TADL warranties must be taken out within six months of the date of purchase of your Display.

Please read the small print on all warranties you purchase and especially those who get 'Free' extended warranties on CC sales - I find the majority of CC companies exclude cover on Plasma displays; I've spoken to folk who got a 'verbal' assurance from a CC company that they were covered and then got a rejection when they tried to make a claim.

Is a warranty required/good value - it is the day your Display conks out! Are Plasma Display's inherently reliable - yes, much more so than most electrical items! Are they expensive to repair - in general you tend to get told they are uneconomical to repair if its a 'glass' failure; though power supply and driver circuits are not overly expensive to sort if you can find a local service agent.

Best regards

Joe

25. Bearded_Malc

Bearded_Malc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Just to clear up some points.

Nationwide CC give +1yr on top of manufacturer's warranty so with NEC, LG etc. who have 2yr warranty that gives you 3yrs. If you hate 0845 numbers (they're more expensive on discount phone services) the direct number is 0171 938 1013.

Electronics have two fail modes, infant failures and wear out (PSU capacitors wear out for example). So you can't always say that failures will occur in the early years. And there are random failures that occur all the time. However, if you did have a PSU failure 3yrs down the line then I would have thought you could argue "not fit for purpose" since it is easy to calculate the life of a capacitor (which begs the question why manufacturer's seem unable to do that :( ).

26. nealgs

nealgs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I bought my extended warranty from Nexnix in Horsham. They had originally supplied the Plasma unit, but they let me take out the extra 3 yr(IIRC) warranty about 2mths after the 12 month one had ran out - nice folks they are :)

Gary

27. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,071
    Hello all

Again I stress - read the small print; is it In-Home, does it cover Loan Replacement etc and its also worth noting that none of these warranties will cover pixel loss; again find out how many pixels have to fail before the Display is deemed 'Faulty' by the Third Party insurer.

Best regards

Joe

28. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Also check the small print of your credit card extended warranty scheme, I think some of them actually specifically exclude plasma sceens, or items above a certain value (like £1,000).

Nationwide look okay to £3,500, but ISTR that Barclaycard exclude plasmas.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167170&highlight=avforum+warranty

I think AV-Sales used to do a discount for AVForum members on their warranties. Not sure if it still applies - can't seem to find the link.

29. echo3

echo3
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  30. hedgy

hedgy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    echo3 thats a seriously obscure reference but I'm an old duffer and replaced 'link' with 'keys'. ;)

Sorry for wandering off topic folks, couldn't resist.

...or was it car?