Warranty with regard to buying a second hand ipad

thefragile

So my freinds won a 16GB wifi iPad in a competition, but he's already got one :rotfl:

So I'm buying it off him at what i think is a very good price. My only concern is that he's had it sitting around unopened in a box since august. Meaning there's 8 months warranty left.

So my worry is obviously he wont have a receipt for it, and if it goes wrong will I be able to get it repaired if it needs a warranty repair?

I've been debating the idea of getting one, but at £429 I thought they were overpriced, so had just saved up enough money to replace my powerbook with a macbook...... but i've decided to get this because 90% of my use will be using it at home, just for facebook, emails, streaming vids from my mac (via airvideo) and a bit of VNC usage on my mac pro upstairs....... Well excited now, Ill put off buying a macbook for a few months :)

RobM

Distinguished Member
The warranty is linked to the devices serial number (or IMEI in some cases), not the owner or person who bought it. So if it has any problems Apple will look up that number and check it's warranty status. If it's covered, you're sorted.

So don't worry about receipts and that sort of thing :)

TC-18

I'm sure I read somewhere that the warranty doesn't start until it is first synced with iTunes so as it in an un-opened box you should have a years warranty when you set it up...

but i would check that!

poppitypop

I'm sure I read somewhere that the warranty doesn't start until it is first synced with iTunes so as it in an un-opened box you should have a years warranty when you set it up...

but i would check that!
This would make sense as an ipad may be in the shop storeroom for months on end before sale.

RobM

Distinguished Member
If warranty is a big deciding factor, Apple Care can always be bought to extend it to three years so long as it has some warranty remaining now.