warranty with jessops

den9112

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, having taken my 500d in to jessops for a repair (4 month old) with a problem , fault is, viewfinder af points do not illuminate when shutter button is half pressed , camera was fully working and useable but with it only being 4 months old i decided to take it in to be looked at and i have no idea as to why the af dots are not showing ,....from my visit to jessops yesterday i was told that it was not going to canon but to a company in tunbridge wells who would look at it and decide if it was a warranty issue(and i could be waiting up to two months ) and if it was not i would get a estimate (not a quote) , maybe i am getting a bit paranoid but judging by some internet reviews regarding jessops camera repairs it looks like most people get a estimate ,then a bill for any additional problems they may find while doing the origanal work,,,,,if they come back and say its not a warranty issue how can i argue with them, that it is a warranty issue, thus leaving me with no option but to get it repaired with jessops repairing company . I believe that because i purchased from jessops i had to take it back to them . I have looked at the reciept for repair and it states , whist we have booked this repair in under manufacturers guarantee ,conformation that this item is covered by warranty can only be verified following inspection by the supplier or their authorised agent. sorry about the long post but any advice would be apreciated.Thanks

Hi, having taken my 500d in to jessops for a repair (4 month old) with a problem , fault is, viewfinder af points do not illuminate when shutter button is half pressed , camera was fully working and useable but with it only being 4 months old i decided to take it in to be looked at and i have no idea as to why the af dots are not showing ,....from my visit to jessops yesterday i was told that it was not going to canon but to a company in tunbridge wells who would look at it and decide if it was a warranty issue(and i could be waiting up to two months ) and if it was not i would get a estimate (not a quote) , maybe i am getting a bit paranoid but judging by some internet reviews regarding jessops camera repairs it looks like most people get a estimate ,then a bill for any additional problems they may find while doing the origanal work,,,,,if they come back and say its not a warranty issue how can i argue with them, that it is a warranty issue, thus leaving me with no option but to get it repaired with jessops repairing company . I believe that because i purchased from jessops i had to take it back to them . I have looked at the reciept for repair and it states , whist we have booked this repair in under manufacturers guarantee ,conformation that this item is covered by warranty can only be verified following inspection by the supplier or their authorised agent. sorry about the long post but any advice would be apreciated.Thanks

They have the right to inspect it,but it should not take them up to 2 months,go back ask to see the manger,and ask for the head office number,this camera is just 4 mths old,also give them a time,in which you would like to see them sort it out,14 days at the most,if they start messing you about,ask for your money back,and tell them you will seek legal advice,CAB should be able to help you here.
Good luck,dont be afraid to give them hell :)

Its not a great attitude from Jessops but they are correct that they need to investigate it first before repairing it. The warning about an estimate etc is just to cover themselves I don't think in most cases its an issue unless there is obvious signs of user damage.

I must admit though that two months is an inordinate amount of time to investigate unless it was an "up to"

If they do come back with an issue you can always get it check by the manufacturer direct or an independent repairer. I believe the first year is a manufacturers warranty anyway. So Jessops are only acting as an agent. But only four months old ? They should offer a replacement once they have determined the problem...they won't offer that of course... it would be nice though..

Last edited:
Bypass Jessops and send it directly to Canon.

Not really the correct way to do it but certainly a lot quicker with a lot less hassle.

I agree. As I said Jessops are only the agent for Canon. Might not be any quicker mind.

I wouldn't go through Jessops for a repair, you may save some postage but I don't think it's worth it. I sent my Nikon D700 back through them and it took around six weeks with no information at all on the progress until it returned and I ended up paying for it although the latter appeared to be Nikon's fault.

I wouldn't go through Jessops for a repair, you may save some postage but I don't think it's worth it. I sent my Nikon D700 back through them and it took around six weeks with no information at all on the progress until it returned and I ended up paying for it although the latter appeared to be Nikon's fault.

I would always go back to the place you bought it.

Under the Sales of Goods act, in the first 6 months it is up the the reseller to assume full responsibility. It's also up them to prove that it isn't a fault with the camera. In effect, they can never do this, so they have to bear the cost of any repair etc.

After 6 months, it's up to you to prove that it's a fault. Much more difficult.

Under the Sales of Goods act, in the first 6 months it is up the the reseller to assume full responsibility. It's also up them to prove that it isn't a fault with the camera. In effect, they can never do this, so they have to bear the cost of any repair etc.

Ah, yes that's right. The 6 month rule.

The general principal is that they fix/swap etc within the first 12 months with a problem, provided the camera is faulty, without getting into the fine detail of the law. Most times there isn't even the debate. I don't think Jessops are any better or worse than anyone else and usually in my experience are just straightforward about the whole thing. AS I said the "if its faulty" thing is just them covering their legal position in case teh item has been abused. Alternative is to send back to manufacturer but the retailer HAS that responsibility should there be any issues and at least its a "throat to choke". Let us know how you get on.

Currently on my third K-5.

First one was returned to the retailer, took 7 weeks of messing about before I got a replacement. Second one went straight to the Pentax official agent .. took 3 days to get a replacement.

As I said, not the correct way but certainly faster.

Unfortunately just because they have to assume responsibility doesn't mean they have to do so efficiently or quickly. Also in effect they can prove the fault, what you've said sounds great on paper but sadly doesn't work so well in practice as I've found out myself, I sorely regret using Jessops to handle my repair and won't make that mistake again particularly with my pro-spec equipment.

John

It might not be broken. The focus points only illuminate in single point, Not AI servo or AI Focus. Also check the custom settings for Focus point illumination is ON.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom