warranty: what is best ???

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by lentrix, Jan 31, 2014.

1. lentrix

lentrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Is it better to get the panny warranty or other 5 yr ?

Reason being that I want a plasma, but as panny are stopping production, if anything goes wrong there will be no replacement. But if I use a store, they may be able to supply a plasma even if its not Panasonic .....

Thoughts ?????

2. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    On the basis you've outlined, John Lewis or Richer Sounds

3. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    From what I've read the JL one is depreciative so if you have a problem 4 years in the amount they'll be willing to give you is only a percentage of the original cost of your TV, so you won't be able to get a comparable one without paying out more money.

4. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    FWIW, thus was not my experience with JL- they will exchange for the same value as your purchased years down the line.

5. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    That value as in a like for like set or money?
    In four years a like for like set may cost more than you originally paid. The difference is important.

@OP
    I'd go with a manufacturers warranty, doesn't matter if they stop production they can still refund or repair the same as a retailer.
    Who ever you go with 'always' read the small print.

6. stephentw

stephentw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Exactly. Just search the forums, there's plenty examples of people not too keen on what JL offered them in terms of warranty replacement, they also don't seem to publish the terms on their site. Pretty sure Richer are better in this regard. But manufacturers warranty is probably your best bet. Although I did read something about consumer rights/soga stating a TV should be expected to last at least 6 years regardless of warranty.

7. Keane

Keane
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,543
    That was not my experience, but ultimately you pay your money and take your chance.

8. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,095
    Get it on your contents cover insurance on a new for old basis that way its win win, if the Panasonic or whoever wont do a like for like then the house insurance will, it has to be new for old though not this yearly depreciation codswallop.

9. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Surely like for like is better than old for new, old for new often means a new but lesser set, like for like means a sets features etc must be the same no matter the price difference.

Sales of goods act stipulates an item must last what would be a reasonable amount of time, for a TV thats often 6 years but 6 years isn't stipulated last I looked.
    You also need to be prepared to go to court.

Soga means if you buy from a good retailer you may not need an extended warranty, my local Sevenoaks looked after me very well with my GT30 stipulating my rights when Panasonic werent willing to refund me. TPS is another store I would buy from, along with RS.

10. Jonson

Jonson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Do John Lewis collect and return TVs free of charge as part of their 5 year warranty?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  11. Inferno

Inferno
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,095
    Well considering that there is no like for like available on insurance policy's and new for old is and will replace with a set the same spec or you can say that the set was the best in class then they will replace with best in class of its size, or 2nd best or whatever it was, i.e mine was best in class of the 50" available when it was purchased so they would have to replace with best in class of the 50's available now and that's directly from my insurer, they also said it would probably be a vt65 if mine went bye byes, but there gone near enough now so god knows what i would end up with.

12. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    As far as I'm aware yes. If there's a problem with your set they will send repair agents first to see if it's cost effective to get it fixed.

13. vickster

vickster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Or they'll fix it in situ. My parents had a switch fixed in this way and also the whole panel on their current tv. Both times someone travelled 50 miles ( they live in the sticks), did the diagnosis, came back subsequently with the part needed at that point

14. The Style

The Style
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Manufacturer warranty= a full mechanical failure they will repair the TV fee of charge. Anything else, and this being Panasonic Plasma that can range from green blobs on your picture to any other visual wonky wibbly wobbly problems they have been known to tell people the classic copy and paste line "the TV is operating within spec" and do nothing.

A shop warranty may/may not cover other problems. Depends how nice they feel and what the letter of their small pint says they have to do. If they offer to replace it with something else it may not be any better. There are people on the forums that have reported they bought say a £1000+ Sony LCD a few years ago and have been offered a £400 replacement TV. This is on the basis that what might have cost over £1000+ spec wise might have been a 1080p TV and now a £400 model can do that so there's no reason they should give you another premium TV as your old TV didn't have features like 3D, Smart TV, etc. The fact that your old £1000+ TV might have had a better panel and speakers than the £400 replacement become suddenly irrelevant.

All things considered you are probably safer with Panasonic's warranty, but even that might not safeguard everything that can go wrong.

15. Insanity202

Insanity202
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,890
    There's people who bought from Panasonic dealers and when the green blobs were around were still told it's within spec.
    I know my local dealer was out of pocket as he had to refund customers as Panasonic deemed them as within spec.
    I've had a Samsung from Richer Sounds which after a few repairs Samsung told me that it was just how things are. Richer Sounds disagreed and gave me a refund.
    With JL and my Sony it was the same repair agent who dealt with my St50.
    After a talk he said they all go to authorised repair agents but some retailers have a time limit eg 28days with JL. I bought from TPS a authorised Panasonic dealer and my st50 was away for about 2mths and took loads of nagging from TPS and me to get anywhere.
    He said authorised repair agents have to follow what the manufacturer states as being with spec, regardless if it's bought from a Panasonic stores or JL. But he did say if his company saw a fault deemed within spec they would argue to get it resolved.
    After all its not just the manufacturer name on the line it's his business too.

If however you buy from Currys they have there own tech guys who are less than useless. Eg they told me my G10 plasma had a backlight issue with the led bulbs. Need I say more?

16. Scooby2000

Scooby2000
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,469
    Currys is like for like.