Question Warranty status on a new, sealed IPad mini won in a competition?

Discussion in 'iPad Forum' started by bruce-leroy, Jun 12, 2018.

1. bruce-leroy

bruce-leroy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,939
    Hello,

I’ve been unable to find a definitive answer online so I’m hoping the good people of AVF can help me out (if not, then I’ll have to contact Apple). :D

I’ve just bought a new, sealed IPad mini 2 on the classifieds here. The seller’s father-in-law won it in a business competition (don’t know how recent or long ago). I used the device’s serial number on Apple’s service/support coverage online checker but couldn’t get any info without a date of purchase.

Basically, where do I stand with Apple’s standard 1 year manufacturer’s warranty as I’m not sure if seller has any paperwork for the device (although I should add I have no qualms over the integrity of the seller).

Thanks! :)

2. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,278
    Erm, interesting one. :D

Technically it is a used one even if it is not opened and some manufacturers will not allow the transfer of warranty to a second owner regardless of whether it would have still been in the warranty period. If it doesn't say then by default they probably won't allow it and a quick Google suggest only Apple Care can be transferred :(

Given the Ipad 2 Mini came out in 2013 then its possible it is over a year old anyway.

Without a proof of purchase I think you are going to be a bit stuck should there be an issue. :(