Warranty Repairs and Paperwork Signing

Biker Dave

Established Member
Reaction score
I have chosen this forum to share my findings as I couldn't find an exact forum topic on the titled subject but if the mods wish to move it please do.
I have recently had to have a extended warranty repair undertaken on my Panasonic plasma although the thread is general to all equipment. The authorised repair centre came to my house and subsequently removed the screen for further 'testing'. The screen was eventually returned with no fault found (their opinion only) and put back on the wall. The screen was returned in an appalling condition, dusty, dirty fingermarks etc. They only cleaned it after my wife said I would not be happy when I got home; She signed the paperwork and they left as quick as they could. Upon my return home I found the screen had been scratched by the repair company and to this day they point blank refuse to admit they caused it even though they have admitted to failings in their process. If anyone wants the full story please pm me.

The points I learnt are as follows:

1) The manufacturer will not accept responsibility and pass the blame to their authorised repair centre telling you to deal with them directly. It appears that all manufacturers have gone down the 'outsourcing route' and this gives them an easy get out.
2) When signing ANY paperwork make sure all the details and boxes are ticked to reflect EXACTLY the condition of your kit before letting them touch it.
3) If the kit has to go away ask for the process of transportation including transport bags.
4) Make sure they wear gloves or remove rings / jewellery before handling your kit, they won't admit to causing the damage.
5) Ask how they intend to 'diagnose' your issue if the set is being taken away. The term diagnostics appears to mean very different things to different people. If their 'diagnostics' means their ears vs your ears then you will not win, trust me. Make sure they have test specs to work to, in my case Panasonic (allegedly) had no specs so it was their ears vs mine.
6) When the kit is returned do NOT let them leave until you have inspected the kit and are absolutely happy with it or make sure you make reference to this on the paperwork

I have told Panasonic I will never buy one of their products again despite my house currently being packed with their kit. Cut off nose to spite face maybe; you might not be surprised to know that they didn't much care and this was at CEO level.
I also informed my local dealer who I have spent well over the five figures previously has now lost my business as if I have to deal with a repair again it will never be with that repair company who are the repairer for my area. Once again a non plus reaction.

I have also discovered that even going down the John Lewis route might not help much as they also along with what appears to be every retailer in the UK use NOISE as their authorised repair point of contact centres. The only difference is JL might be more inclined to help you??
I contacted NOISE explaining the sorry situation but so far the only response has been silence, hardly surprising as they represent the repair and install industry.

I hope this helps other people from having their valuable kit damaged. To all the repair people out their I know you don't all operate like this and it is not aimed at you.

Sorry to hear of your problems - I doubt you have an 'isolated' case.

Something to keep in mind being the Transaction is between you and the Retailer - and potentially a Credit Card issuer if you purchased using a Card (always a smart move).

Extended Warranties are in addition to your rights under the Sale of Goods Act!

As a 'Reseller' TV's are a nightmare - there is no money in them but they can become a huge long term liability.

I'd add 'take lots of pictures' to your warning notes!

Joe

Hi Joe
Thanks for your comments. Does the transaction between myself and the retailer stand even though the repair company are a separate company? I did pay on credit card, learnt a lesson when all the budget airlines went bust a few years ago!!!!
I agree with lots of pics and video as well if required.

Worth a call/trip to CAB and see what they advise before you go back to the Retailer!

Joe

Hi Sebastian, just seen your reply, didn't come through via email quote. The warranty was given by Panasonic as a 'bonus' when I purchased the screen. Does this make a difference?

I once had an issue with a 58" Pana which I supplied. Repair company really fluffed the service, in the end the customer got so fed up they bought a new TV suffice to say not from me...

Hi Shortyav, I feel for Sevenoaks as it is not their fault. If I was Sevenoaks I know what conversation I would be having, I'm sure you did the same.

...and probably got the same response. All I could do was vote with my feet and not use the supplier nor Panasonic again. Had a similar experience with a Benq PJ.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom